Build Logs & Model Making Techniques > Construction matters

Ripmax Easy Street quick review

(1/5) > >>

Cactus:
At Rougham i was determined to buy something for my 400 size brushless motor, i spied first a Projeti for 40, not bad, kinda wanted one but after the Microjet i wanted something a bit different, in retrospect maybe i should have got that box.

but i fancied something a bit more plane like, something to climb and dive with, something i can hack about, not just fly flat out as low as poss.

sitting at the back was an ARTF Easy Street for 35

ok it's meant for a 600, but thats a can motor and the old cells. my brushless and 3 cell li-po should be nice.

after some pondering and box prodding i plumped for the Easy.

The Easy Street first came to us as a Malcom Corbin free plan and i believe a CNC kit.
as with a few of Malcs designs they got Ripmaxed.

First impression was exactly the same as my Coyote, it was going to be a so-so build.
the putting together of bits is pretty easy, everything lines up ok apart from the elevator joiner which was twisted resulting my my elevator half's being slightly out, yep, i saw that after i glued it all together. :-\

it's designed to use 3 SD200 servos but the boxes arn't well made for them, the cable exit is pushed up against the edge and theres nowhere for the exit of the cable.
in the end i dug out most of the balsa box liners and left the wire coming out of the sides.

now came the fun and games.

the torque rods are slotted as such so you can lay them flat to get the wings in, but the slots are so narrow you can't get much throw. this i sorted with my knife.

pushrods... oh dear...
the Z bends arn't bent very far, and a tweak with my z benders snapped then, brittle metal these rods so i made some new ones for the ailerons.
the elevator and rudder servos both sit right at the front of the wing, and both the pushrods are the same lenght meaning the rudder was now too short to reach the horn.

i cured this by turning the servo around ( scarficing some cable lenght ) and using a standard solder adaptor not the mini ones they supply.
with everything hooked up the unsupported wires flex a bit on the push leaving me with limited down elevator and right rudder  :(

despite all this flex in the radio bay the rods are quite stiff and don't like the bend round to the horns, some kinks sorted this but the cross over in the fuz stiffens the whole lot up a fair amount, this probably isn't helping the flex near the servos.
depending on how it goes i may replace the whole lot with some more springy piano wire.

the motor was next in, of course the mount is drilled for a 600 so some slots where made in the shaft opening and my motor screws done up with washers.
this should be ok but I'll be checking soon into the first flight.
course with those big cap head screws up front my prop adaptor now refused to sit right back, but it seems ok where it is.

with the li-po being a tight fit in the battery bay under the wing the CofG was checked, too far back.
with the battery in the bay infront it was just right so some velcro sorted this with the Hitec receiver sitting in a small gap just infront of the servos.
the speedo controller sits above the motor, not ideal, but too much hassle to keep moving it to get the cells out.

the front hatch is held with a single screw.. only, i don't want to be playing with screws.
first this is an electric hack, simple plug and play, not plug screw play screw.
second if you want the pack out quick you don't want to be messing with a screw.

a tab was added to the rear of the plate and some magnets to the front.

this turned out to be a wise move as the ply screw mount plate fell off, it should be over that hole

last job canopy, not a great fit, the wood former pulls it in too tight splaying it out at bottom of the fuz.
not a great fit at the front either, but i want a hack, not perfection.

on a 5.5x4.5 APC it's almost pulling 1:1 but I've yet to find a 6x4 to try, should be better on that but good enough for what i want.

so like the Coyote it's showing ARTF quality of a few years past, the wing where film was removed for gluing showed more signs of filler than wood but what let it down was in the lack of planning and not ideal fittings, the short pushrod and tight servo boxes being my biggest annoyances.
easy enough for someone with experience and spare bits to sort out but it'd stop someone wanting this as their second plane dead in their tracks.

with a bit of patience i could have sorted these things and the cosmetics, but i just wanted it done quick and flyable.
hopefully I'll test fly it tomorrow

BridlingtonFlyer:
Looks good.  I've got a balsacraft kit version that is next on the build list

PDR:
Check the glue joints between the motor mount and the fuselage - the motor mount on mine turned out to be held on almost entirely by the covering film. At least it was until half way through the third flight - after that the motor was retained by the ESC leads, an the thrust line changed to around 90 degrees of downthrust...

PDR

Cactus:
thanks Pete.

just about to head out to Perranporth airfield for a local show we've been asked to fly at, will be testing it there but i'll run some glue around first.

Cactus:
didn't get to fly at Perran, too windy but more important, lots of planes parked up where we had to fly.. and then the ones that move, past us, over us... chaos.

so, winds dropped tonight out with the ES.

first thing i noted in pre flight was the staggering amount of bend that showed up with down elevator or right rudder.
worse than when i first fitted them.
first step will be to see if the surfaces have stiffened up where the last of the cyno set.
second replace those rubbish rods.

right from the underarm launch she went straight and true on just under full throttle ( full throttle gives lots of vibration, still under propped or is the shaft bent from the MJ crash? )
even on 3/4s throttle climb was good and full gave almost vert, a 6x4 prop should help here.
the MJ was on a 5x5 and ok, the Zap was a 5.3x4 and 5.5x4.5 ( what the ES is now on ) and vibrated like mad.

considering this is a 600 design the little 400 and 3 cell pack give great performance.
it's not far off the Zap, and that was a much smaller light 400 size plane with just two mini servos, not 3 SD200's

the rolls arn't perfectly axial but the the torque rods weren't bent perfectly, the links arn't even close to inline with the ailerons neutral.
however the ailerons bite nicely and the rolls are nice and quick.
the elevator felt perfect and i still had enough down for inverted flight which only required a slight amount of down elevator.

rudder isn't enough for KE, but I'm not even close to reccomended throw thanks to the choice of horn shown.

it flew really well and as such deserves to have these niggles sorted.
the stall was nothing, the wing drop such as it was could be corrected with the rudder.
with the motor cut the glide is pretty quick, but it doesn't help the servos not quite getting neutral each time thanks to those pushrods.
i can't really fault the flying. it's smooth, predictable but also shows signs of fun once i get the throws sorted.
I've not even got any expo dialed in!

so yet another great flying Ripmax plane, just let down by a few bad choices in design and fittings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version