August 24, 2019, 06:53:31 am

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

August 24, 2019, 06:53:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Saito 82

Started by TomG, July 16, 2006, 23:53:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TomG

Running Magnum 20% Heli Fuel
14X4W APC PROP
9300 RPM at Full chat

kevvy

Hello
     I use Ripmax 10% team fuel on my Saito 82 throwing a 15X4 W at 8800 revs.

frank

Hi Guys.
Just noticed this post, interesting comparison, my Saito 91 swings an APC 15x4W at 9700 on MT Dynaglo5% but the spool up is pretty slow, would think the 15x4W is too much prop for the 82, just my opinion.

Cheers frank.

British Victory

In the instructions, saito recommend a ground rpm of 9000 to 11000 with the main needle richened to reduce revs by 300.
In my ones I use southern modelcraft high lub(20% synthetic only) with10% nitro, it's adequate for my needs, and reasonably priced.
there's only one f in RCMF,
               John

kevvy

Hello Frank
       You are right about the 15X4W being slow to spool up, and maybe a little big for a Saito 82. I used to use a 14X4W but the dreaded noise test forced me to the 15X4W which seemed to fly my Funtana just as well without the noise.
                            Kevvy.

frank

Hi Kevvy.
Accept what you say about the noise, your site must be pretty sensitive.

Cheers frank.

frank

September 05, 2006, 22:08:33 pm #6 Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 22:14:44 pm by frank
Hi.
Just acquired an 82, 10900rpm, APC 13x6 MT Dynaglo 5%, most impressed.
Frank.

P.S. Have installed it in a Blackhorse Twister......... Should be a laugh !!

kevvy

Hello Frank
     Thats going to be ballistic, i just bought myself a Freestyle RC Edge 540T Fun-Fly and put my Saito 82 in it. I use 10% ripmax team fuel and a 14/4W prop spinning at 9900 revs, it seems quieter in this model compaired to the Funtana, the Edge weighs 5 1/2 pounds. This is one model that really has unlimited vertical pull.
              Enjoy
                    Kevvy.

British Victory

November 11, 2006, 17:53:52 pm #8 Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 08:38:25 am by drone
Finally got the tacho on my 82a, richened up 3 clicks 10500 on a 13 x8 rfx (overlander props) fuel as specced in my earlier post.
Out of the blue I had mega problems, couldn't get it to idle reliably below 3500, found this site http://saito-engines.info/new_engine_prep__.html some good advice there. Eventually had to lean out the idle 1 1/2 turns, evetually got 2300 rpm and immediate throttle response. Perhaps I can land my cardinal at less than warp speed now..... :af
ps I was just changing props to a wooden 14x6 when I noticed that the prop that was on was 13 x 7, sorry guys wasn't trying to mislead..... :-[
pps Thanks to Windy the link now works..... :af
               John

Windy

British Victory

Thanks Windy, I tried it and wondered why it worked on my favs but not as a link, I had to watch the welsh and Irish tests. :af
               John

Zim

Hey all - I'm lucky enough to have one of these too now... Running a 14x6 APC at 9200 but I think that I might be rather overly rich there... Pick-up it beautiful though so I'll leave it as is until it's been flown, as I suspect that there is going to be plenty of power anyway! It's in a YT Rush.

Prop-wise - I failed our noise test by an absolute whisker, so I'm going to try a Punctilio Smart wood in the same size to see what that gives - should be quieter and the same pull - will let you know...

Z

dom

I just ran my 82 on the test bench and I can get a reliable tickover without glow stick 1400rpm!!

It's a beautiful little engine.
Gravity is the biggest prison there is!
EF Extra 58" - Best for Inverted flat spins. EF Edge 540 48" - Best for knife edge spins. Shoestring Racer.

British Victory

I ran my well used one with 10% southern model craft hi-lube, 14x6 JXF prop (£1.65 from giant cod) richened up 3 clicks from peak 9200,
My OS 91 Fx, same fuel, same prop, in flying condition - 10400.
The 82 sounds so much quieter.
The fuel is the dregs of a gallon and I think it's absorbed some water vapour as the tickover on the saito is a bit rough.
I've since started a fresh gallon and I'll recheck it as that seems a hell of a difference. Come to think of it I had to put a new plug in the OS to make it work properly. I'll check that one too.
               John