money
RSS Facebook

RCMF

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 19:48:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enya 60-111 2 stroke exhaust  (Read 1095 times)

Offline RobC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 33
Enya 60-111 2 stroke exhaust
« on: July 20, 2007, 11:24:57 AM »
looking at Clive_F's thread about his MDS I saw the suggestions to open up the exhaust.  Wonder if that's the problem I'm having with an Enya 60-111.  Plumbing is good, plenty of fuel flow but it  feels very hot and cuts after a few minutes full throttle.  Adjusting the needle, the difference between 2-stroke and 2-lean seems non-existant.  I've got the same results using an 11*7 and 12*6 prop.  It's was stuck on the front of  an Acrowot and the exhaust is a P&J (?)  silencer, a heavy cast aluminium aftermarket job with a baffle tube and wool packing like a motorcycle end can.  The few minutes airtime I've achieved with it pulling the Acrowot, I was a bit underwhelmed with it's performance.  I'm trying to get below 80dB at 7 m to comply with the rules at one of the local clubs, and the Enya is certainly quiet, but 3 minute engine runs are a bit limiting.  Any suggestions for an efficient aftermarket exhaust system?  The orginal 'silencer' is out as there's a lump missing from the manifold mating face, and that needed an add-on to get down to reasonable noise levels anyway.   Economy is a factor here Gents - my budget is limited.
Same engine, does anyone know what cardb will fit?  It's got a very simple bleed screw idle adjustment, it'd be nice to upgrade to a twin needle job at some point.
flying's easy - it's getting it back down in one piece that's the hard part

Online Michael_Rolls

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 39
  • Liked: 525
  • The older I get, the better I was!
  • BMFA Number: 20862
Re: Enya 60-111 2 stroke exhaust
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 16:37:54 PM »
Rob
Are you sure it is fully run in? An Enya 60-III is a pretty old motor - I used a lot of Enyas of various sizes in 19 up to 45 around that time and they did need a fair amount of running in - but once that had been achieved they lasted just about for ever.

Mike
Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

Offline RobC

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 16:51:39 PM »
I used to run it in a semi-scale Chipmunk - Chipahawk?  It pulled that around nicely, plenty of go and it never overheated, but the demise of the 'hawk left the standard silencer with a chunk missing where it mates against the manifiold.  The engine feels nice and loose, but plenty of compression (for a ringed motor) and starts and idles well. It only plays up if I give it some beans, a few minutes at full bore and it goes of song, throttle back and it'kll trundle round but it just won't hold full throttle.  Club I want to try out at has a strict 80dB at 7 metres noise limit, just how quiet is 80db?

Offline BrianB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 36
  • Liked: 2
  • BMFA Number: S 050169
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 17:16:11 PM »
Hi Rob

Have you tried Steve Webb to see if it's possible to obtain a replacement exhaust? I mention him because he does keep quite a selection of ancient Enya parts. From memory, I think my Enya was a .60III, (we're talking 1973 here) and it ran rather well. I rather fancy it won't like that awful old muffler. It's probably restricting the engine, and may well be the cause of most of your troubles . 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 22:42:42 PM by BrianB »
Westmorland Model Flyers (Scratch built models preferred, but artf's if you really must)
Windermere Model Waterplane Flyers

Offline RobC

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 09:25:56 AM »
thanks Brian, that's what I suspected, but without a replacement I couldn't check it out.  Bloody yhing weighs a ton as well!  For now I've put the SC53 back in the Acro.  Cowling's now got more holes in it than a cheese grater:'(.  At least I can be certain cooling airflow isn't being restricted

RCMF Team

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 19:48:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
TinyPortal © 2005-2012
Page created in 0.289 seconds with 38 queries.