RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

February 25, 2020, 17:56:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Howard Metcalfe F15, Help Required..

Started by Alan, September 03, 2007, 09:24:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

Picked up my latest Ebay bargain yesterday, a Howard Metcalfe F15. One of those models I have always wanted, but have been out of production for a long time.
For £30 and a 180 mile round trip :o, this is what I got:

Long term project, it's a bit tatty but exactly as was described. Thinking a pair of MiniFan 480's should do the trick.

Anyway, does anybody know where the CG should be, and what control movements? I have sent an email to Howard Metcalfe and hope he repiles, but maybe somebody here has had one?

Ta.
I dunno...

Alan

Also, anybody got any good suggestions for paint removal? This thing has 3 coats on!! Top coat (grey) is a spray, under this is a coat of silver (I swear it's Hammerite.....), then under that a coat of dark green. No idea whether they are enamel or what, but here's 1 hour's worth of 160/400/600 grit wet 'n' dry:

Driving me mad >:(
I dunno...

Chippie

Quote from: Alan on September 03, 2007, 16:14:12 pm
Also, anybody got any good suggestions for paint removal? This thing has 3 coats on!!

Ermmm...paint stripper....? Used carefully. ???
Eccentric millionaire Financed by 'er indoors'
Site Admin and forum moderator

Cactus

i think the HM range was brought by Phill Dorren who lives somewhere near bude.
i've not seen a f-15 in the line up tho.
I know you believe you understand what you think i said, but i am not sure you realise that what you think you heard is not what i meant.

markg

Quote from: Chippie on September 03, 2007, 16:50:46 pm

I'd just paper over it with woodchip or a nice Anaglypta, no one will ever know.

Winchweight

When restoring old models i used a product called Model Strip. You paint on the paste, leave overnight in a plastic bag, and wash of the next day, agitating with a stiff brush. Depends on the paint though, very effective with enamels etc.
A400M GRIZZLY!.... er nope.  A400M ATLAS! .... er nope. A400M FATLASS! ....er nope. A400M AT LAST!

leccyflyer

Nicht mal ein Spitfire kann zur gleichen Zeit im Süden und im Norden sein.

PDR

Take great care putting chemical paint strippers onto those ABS mouldings - try it for compatibility on a hidden area first. Some paint strippers will attack ABS.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

Alan

Quote from: Cactus on September 03, 2007, 16:55:09 pm
i think the HM range was brought by Phill Dorren who lives somewhere near bude.
i've not seen a f-15 in the line up tho.

That is indeed correct, but not the F15. I have been in touch with Phil over the past few years, particularly regarding the F4, since I converted one to MF480 EDF. Back then he was going to re-introduce it as an EDF, but I think it's on the back burner now...
I dunno...

Alan

Quote from: Chippie on September 03, 2007, 16:50:46 pm

Quote from: Winchweight on September 03, 2007, 18:04:34 pm
When restoring old models i used a product called Model Strip. You paint on the paste, leave overnight in a plastic bag, and wash of the next day, agitating with a stiff brush. Depends on the paint though, very effective with enamels etc.

Any idea where I can get it?

Quote from: PDR on September 03, 2007, 18:33:39 pm
Take great care putting chemical paint strippers onto those ABS mouldings - try it for compatibility on a hidden area first. Some paint strippers will attack ABS.

PDR

That's what I am concerned about. I have just tried a bit of cellulose thinners. Didn't touch the grey or silver, but smudged the green around a bit so may work there...

I dunno...

bigron2

I remember hand launching one once with a ST .51 up front. It struggled to get away from a launch without a heavy shove and then it headed for the ground first, hopefully it would pick up enough speed to climb away...

JimG

Quote from: PDR on September 03, 2007, 18:33:39 pm

PDR

I have successfully used a stripper called Home Strip, it is water based and therefore unlikely to attack plastics. It was bought in B&Q, if not still available then a similar product should be on sale.
Jim Gill
Dundee Model Aircraft Club

Alan

Quote from: bigron2 on September 03, 2007, 21:07:43 pm
I remember hand launching one once with a ST .51 up front. It struggled to get away from a launch without a heavy shove and then it headed for the ground first, hopefully it would pick up enough speed to climb away...

Yeah, I saw them at Sandown years ago. This one's getting twin EDF's and about 1kW, with a bungee launch, so hopefully no problems.

Quote from: JimG on September 03, 2007, 21:31:36 pm
I have successfully used a stripper called Home Strip, it is water based and therefore unlikely to attack plastics. It was bought in B&Q, if not still available then a similar product should be on sale.

Thanks Jim, I'll have a look.
I dunno...

Winchweight

I get it from my LHS. It comes in a white container with a blue lid and an orange label.
A400M GRIZZLY!.... er nope.  A400M ATLAS! .... er nope. A400M FATLASS! ....er nope. A400M AT LAST!

Alan

Picked up some stuff at the local Homebase today. Great Strip. Not sure it's water based, but says tools should be washed with water...
Tested on a bit of one of the exhaust nozzles which will be removed for the EDF conversion, seems OK, if a little wimpy. Just applied a 2nd coat to the hatch, time will tell...
I dunno...

Alan

Didn't work when it was warm this afternoon.
Tried again tonight now it's cooled down, worked pretty well. It does not attack the ABS, though it does discolour it a little to a sort of 'smoking room' yellow. This goes when rubbed down with wet n dry. Lots to do...
I dunno...

happy1

I have one of Howards F15 kits complete and unused if anyone is interested.