RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

September 22, 2019, 05:46:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Proper Cornish Slopers!

Started by Eyeboy, March 02, 2009, 23:32:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyeboy

March 02, 2009, 23:32:24 pm Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 09:35:35 am by Eyeboy
I really don't know if this thread will gain any comments but hey it's worth a go.
;D

Ok, so i'm trying to start where we left off i.e. up to 28th February 2009. At this point Cactus had posted his 24,000th comment and this thread was not just the biggest on gliders & gliding, but the longest thread on RCMF period!
:o

So, lets kick it off. Again. Let's just hope that we don't loose a years worth of comments in the future!
:xx

Role call.
Eyeboy. Present!

Yeah you?

DelUK

Like a Phoenix from the ashes !  :af

Who knows what will happen next.....

Cactus

you gotta be king kidding me?!  ;D
if we do this again this time we're doing it right.
a proper section, a thread with slope info, threads for visitors, and thread for a what we doing/photos for each day.

the boast factor was great, but the point of it was totally lost.

anywhos, the pics and vid from this weekend are up on the WCS site
the vids going down a treat on that large US forum that works  :''

Hit the stick at St Agnes on Vimeo
I know you believe you understand what you think i said, but i am not sure you realise that what you think you heard is not what i meant.

Eyeboy

Quote from: Cactus on March 02, 2009, 23:39:20 pm
you gotta be king kidding me?!  ;D
if we do this again this time we're doing it right.
a proper section, a thread with slope info, threads for visitors, and thread for a what we doing/photos for each day.

I agree. Are you saying that this thread should be used purely to discuss weekend actions etc? I see it that the WCS site should be the "one stop shop" for West Cornwall slope info. I don't believe the threads for visitors will gain many visitors.
:-\
I've just notcied the "Huh" smiley has gone and i've only posted 20 comments to date! Delluk isn't much better!!
;D
Yeah you?

Cactus

the site hasn't always got the latest info, only just started adding content again myself, far easier to just wop it here
it's probably missing a fair few slopes.

we need a page similar to what we had in post 1, the general info, what sites to look at for weather predictions, the glide compass which also needs updating, contacts stuff like that.
visitors, well we've got a few poor sods that posted in our thread, then got sucked in so to speak. if say del was to come down, he could start his own thread, and that makes it easier for everyone.
then when the weekend comes we can have a general chat thread, and new threads for the pics and comments afterwards.

i'm just pondering if i have that first page saved anywhere. thing is, if i did, it was probably on the desk top, and is long gone.
might not even be on this pc!!
I know you believe you understand what you think i said, but i am not sure you realise that what you think you heard is not what i meant.

yellowblue

Start it all again..........then newbies wont have to trawl through umpteen pages of wat you guys get up to  :ev :af

Cactus

exactly my point for a separate sub section with lots of threads, not a 5000 post ramble

Eyeboy

First things first, here's the link to the West Cornwall Slopers website.

http://wcs.zoar.co.uk/?page=home

Here you'll find details and reviews of slopes in and around Cornwall that we regularly fly from, pictures and videos form the slopes and a compass which auto populates to show the wind direction at the time and the slopes that should be working.
:af
Yeah you?

Cactus

i got bad news for you pal, i'm pretty sure you can't fly solo yet  ;D
yep, not for 2 days yet lol
you went solo on the 20th

DelUK

Yeah I remember that one Phil, wasn't it a thread titled "my student went solo today" or something like that. Look at the crazed slope obsessive that you begat  :D

Cactus

Eyeboy

Quote from: Cactus on March 03, 2009, 00:23:22 am
i got bad news for you pal, i'm pretty sure you can't fly solo yet  ;D
yep, not for 2 days yet lol
you went solo on the 20th

I've been waiting for you, Cactus-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master!

Yeah you?

Smithy

The good news is that i have yet to start sloping  :D

I've known years flash by before, but nothing like this.......

Smithy the foetus  :sm99:
You have to be able to laugh at yourself. That's what I tell Cornish people all the time...

sj

Found my way back.

That vid looked good.

Hope to get out this weekend. I've got a log weekend but got to put a new bath in and would like to try to get out on the boat or go kiting depending on weather. Anyone planning this far ahead?

sj

slopetrashuk

Noooooo!
Make it stop....
We need an 'Anti' Cactus measure stat!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Pasty

As usual I'll be out this weekend and as usual probably doing something different to everyone else  ::)

I had the best days flying I've had for months down Cudden on sunday, sat down in the grass on the darkside swinging some smooth ds aeros with Smithy... out of the wind there was no jackets/gloves or the usual clothing needed for this time of year... I even had my sleeves rolled up at one point it was that warm....bliss!  :co

With that in mind I'm hoping for more of the same this weekend.  :uk:

Hexo

I'm freaking livid about these forums going tits up. Any decent person from the IT crown knows how to make backups, daily or weekly. If I was a sponsor of this site I would withdraw it.

There was so much information lost about builds and other things its just insane that it could be lost.

----

Anyways, on another note! Last weekend was fantastic. Staggie rocks, its by far the best site we have in cornwall! My Swinger 60 lapped it up and put a huge smile on my face!

Nice to see you there Dan! Hope ya get a Swinger 46 going some time soon to get some slope shockie action going :)

Pasty

I'm glad you finally got to fly the 60 in decent conditions... I look forward to the vid  :af

I get the impression staggy one of the best sites in the country not just cornwall!

Cactus

QuoteI was but the learner; now I am the master!

you can strike me down darth, but i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine

Cactus

just found the thread exists in google cache, i've seen a couple of apges, you just need to search and then click cache.
just need to find the right combo of words to find post 1  ::cc

Hexo

Quote from: thepasty on March 03, 2009, 14:06:28 pm
I'm glad you finally got to fly the 60 in decent conditions... I look forward to the vid  :af

I get the impression staggy one of the best sites in the country not just cornwall!

Yeah was well cool! Hope there is a vid coming along soon. Dan and cactus got some.

Was cudden really grooving fast? The wind should have been ideal for some serious speed!

Hexo

Quote from: Cactus on March 03, 2009, 14:24:35 pm
just found the thread exists in google cache, i've seen a couple of apges, you just need to search and then click cache.
just need to find the right combo of words to find post 1  ::cc

By the sounds of it we'll be getting the thread back.

We'll be missing anything from jan though, but thats not so bad really.

ryan2

the site is alive again :af
im now working on a stealth bomber 3 its gonna be about half the size
and so andy dousent feel cheated im gonna keep those signature wing tips
i beter finish it quick because with any luck i should be getting another mb fri or Monday

Eyeboy

Quote from: Cactus on March 02, 2009, 23:39:20 pm
anywhos, the pics and vid from this weekend are up on the WCS site
the vids going down a treat on that large US forum that works  :''

Hit the stick at St Agnes on Vimeo

Great vid mate. Really is top stuff! love it!
:af
Yeah you?

Pasty

Quote from: Hexo on March 03, 2009, 21:56:20 pm
Yeah was well cool! Hope there is a vid coming along soon. Dan and cactus got some.

Was cudden really grooving fast? The wind should have been ideal for some serious speed!

Yeah it was fast and smooth but it was more fun doing wide circuits messing around with aeros etc, that sites more suited to that kinda thing anyways...

Andys Bevo certainly licked it up... good bit of kit that.

Cactus

pics of your 60 are up on the site, didn't take video.
seems the tread is post jan 18th! so it doesn't exist

Smithy

Quote from: thepasty on March 03, 2009, 22:36:58 pm
Yeah it was fast and smooth but it was more fun doing wide circuits messing around with aeros etc, that sites more suited to that kinda thing anyways...

Andys Bevo certainly licked it up... good bit of kit that.

Took a bit more lead off the front over the weekend and that has made the beevo even slicker.

Deffo preferred Cudden on Sunday over the hole on Saturday ( although both were great fun ). Nice to have popped the DS cherry.

::cc
You have to be able to laugh at yourself. That's what I tell Cornish people all the time...

Cactus

have we got Alex back here yet?
could of done with his number last weekend when the forum was down

Lord Xande

Quote from: Cactus on March 04, 2009, 14:30:43 pm
have we got Alex back here yet?
could of done with his number last weekend when the forum was down

Assuming you mean me, yeah i'm back.

I wish i could have been out last week but i had too much coursework, hopefully it should all be sorted by the weekend so i can get back out to the slope assuming the weather holds out  :)
Lies and slander it was Xander

Cactus

it's not looking brilliant  :-\
what make spitty is that in your avatar?
pm me your mobile number sometime then we can got hold of you if needs be  :af

Lord Xande

I think it was an ATS jobbie. locked out on its maiden though, i mounted the rx upside down and didn't secure the crystal in place so i think it wriggled itself out... plummeted full throttle into the ground  :(

Lord Xande

Cactus

oooh ouch, never taped a crystal and never lost one either. tho all rx's in powered stuff live in tight wrapped foam

Cactus

one for andy, what that windrider airbus goes like

Pasty

I know they are not conducive to sloping but its not quite right without the engines.

Thats why I think the Vulcan and Victor lend themselves so well to PSS.

cabanestrut

Hey phil, that hit the stick video is AWESOME, and the timing of the music is perfect. i laughed from start to finish and must have replayed the last bit with the blob 10 times!

I managed to get out for a quick sesh at staggy this afternoon, i took....the alula (not a chance) fox (just about went forward) limit ex (in its element) and the tornado wing (no fun on your own!).

I cant wait to pick up that miniblade, would have been perfect today. Twas bloody cold though!
Insert witty quote here ___________________

Pasty

So you're back in the thick of it then Dan... good man  :af

cabanestrut

March 05, 2009, 20:49:51 pm #37 Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 20:58:23 pm by cabanestrut2007
Yeah mate, and picking up my first ever glass glider, a miniblade on monday.

hitec metal minis all round, futaba pcm rx, ready to fly with batt etc, 125 quid! i dont think its even been flown!

and look what ive fixed......new carbon spar and a few bits of foam grafted in here and there.
also, loads of lead buried in the nose, it was a swine to balance first time round, so ive got the benefit of hindsight now!
from what looked terminal when Andy flew through it at 50 mph!, LOL, it wasnt actually that bad, servos were fine, carbon spar broken in 1 place and a few tears in the foam. looks like new now, just needs covering.

and a proper place to put the rx with a hatch....

and my newly rebuilt and recovered alula, which flies sweet, roll on summer.........

gosh, just noticed what a newbie i am at 12 posts! and i was at 997 when the tits went up!

cabanestrut

And i got this ready to fly, which i forgot i had!

I first got given this glider (dont know what it is) by Terry Williams atleast 6 years back, it sat in my shed for 6 months doing nothing, i then sold it to a mate for 25 quid which he was going to give me in a couple of weeks, i totally forgot about this and then last year at our bring and buy, said mate (who had given up flying) came up to me with it and gave it back! 5 years later!
He too, had forgotten about it and cleared out his shed and found it........the same chap i bought my Bolly Hovering Cobra off for 30 quid ready to fly! And the Big Yellow Taxi for 20 rtf!

Quite a story, so i guess this glider is 8 years old, in very good nick and is now (finally) ready to fly, its meant for electric, but ive just banged a couple of standard servos and a foam nose on it for now.

cleaned up well, and should be a real floater, 86" wingspan.

Pasty

man... you have been busy, you've got quite a selection brewing!

An MB all up for 125 nickers! is it in pink/bogey green or something? thats freaking good!

It'll be good to see you and your crazy flying antics again  :af