RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 19, 2019, 17:19:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

South East Flyers Part 1

Started by DelUK, March 02, 2009, 22:37:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DelUK

Sorry Darren for the hijack, but we need to get this show back on the road  :uk:

What we all been up to then ?

Crazy Frog

No prob Del, what a pain trying to get registered again, does it look like weve lost all our previous threads  :banghead:

DelUK

Not sure yet but it doesn't look too hopeful  :'(

We will just have to rebuild, bigger and better ? :xx

DelUK

27 flippin posts !

I'd nearly reached my 1000 as well....

paul w

Goodwind Slope Soaring     blogtastic hill side adventures

Allen the soarer

Don't buy something new
When you can hack something old

paul w

Quote from: DelUK on March 02, 2009, 22:37:05 pm

What we all been up to then ?

had a quick sesh up at Thurnham yesterday, started off very gusty (paraglider ended up on the fence :o) but eased off to give super smooth floaty conditions, had a lovely cruise around with my 90" wing

DelUK

3 days on the trot ! Oh to be that free..... I'm going to move next to a slope oneday ;)

paul w

4 days actually!! (sorry Deryck)

Friday afternoon, most of Sat, Sun am (quicky at Wye) and yesterday afternoon. Looks flyable today, but I can't really justify it ::)

simon_t

Is it miniphase no more?  I want your job Paul (I think I do... I might be in for a shock)

Simon

paul w

March 03, 2009, 20:45:56 pm #10 Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 21:01:22 pm by paul w
Quote from: simon_t on March 03, 2009, 18:20:46 pm
Is it miniphase no more?  I want your job Paul (I think I do... I might be in for a shock)

Simon

miniphase no more! seeing as how I've ended up meeting a few guys from the forum in the flesh, it seemed simpler to stick with my real name

My job? self employed architect (part 2) plenty of work on despite the credit crunch, however will-power collapsed and I snuck out again this afternoon, but I have just done a few hours work this evening to make up for it! I tend to work a lot of weekends and evenings through the winter, or when the wind's not good this offsets the odd afternoon I have off here and there for flying in the week. It's the nearest I've managed to get to opting out of the rat race!

By the way Simon, have you ever flown at Farthing Common? I gave it a quick go the other week in a north westerly, seemed to work ok

DelUK

5 days on the trot !

Rest assured Paul, you are well out of the rat race....

Allen the soarer

Saturday longman
anyone up??
Don't buy something new

paul w

Quote from: DelUK on March 03, 2009, 21:28:18 pm
Rest assured Paul, you are well out of the rat race....

an overiding memory of my childhood was being envious of my grandparents because they were retired! perhaps that's when the seed was sewn?

gave the Brisk a bit of a go again today, I have to say I'm impressed, but it did keep disappearing against that grey sky  :o

Allen, we'd love to join you, but I think we'll be local on Saturday

paul w

Quote from: DelUK on March 03, 2009, 09:24:29 am
I'm going to move next to a slope oneday ;)

funny you should say that, Imperial College own a dilapidated bungalow at the bottom of Wye Downs. I've approached them.....but they don't want to sell

simon_t

Quote from: paul w on March 03, 2009, 20:45:56 pm

By the way Simon, have you ever flown at Farthing Common? I gave it a quick go the other week in a north westerly, seemed to work ok

Yes a few times - I used to go there quite a bit in the 80s/early 90s - it is a good 'trimming' slope, as it has a good landing area, but not too much lift.  You can get good thermals running through though.  (I did try to leave some comments on the goodwind blog after your visit, but it would not get past the security bit - never gave me a code to put in, despite numerous tries).  I think the EKSA boys claimed it as a club site, but it is now access area, so I guess its fair game.  I have never seen anyone else flying there either when I've been flying there or just driving past.

Simon

paul w

Quote from: simon_t on March 03, 2009, 22:48:27 pm
good landing area, but not too much lift.  You can get good thermals running through though. 

(I did try to leave some comments on the goodwind blog after your visit, but it would not get past the security bit - never gave me a code to put in, despite numerous tries).

It did seem to be quite 'bubbly' when I was there, but you could tell the slope lift wasn't that strong

Deryck said he had the same problem with the blog, I'll take a look.

DelUK

Quote from: paul w on March 03, 2009, 21:49:31 pm

gave the Brisk a bit of a go again today, I have to say I'm impressed, but it did keep disappearing against that grey sky  :o

Get some colour on it !

What impressed you about the Brisk ? Speed, lift, or just the whole 'feel'....

paul w

mainly how 'solid' it feels, though I think the cg has to go back
some so that could all go to pot!

DelUK

yes, we know you like a heavier rear end ;) ....come to think of it, so do I !

paul w

March 05, 2009, 07:39:43 am #22 Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 07:56:07 am by paul w
Quote from: DelUK on March 04, 2009, 19:04:59 pm
yes, we know you like a heavier rear end ;) ....come to think of it, so do I !

now that's going to start some nasty rumours!

still looking rather splendid for saturday  :xx

simon_t

Paul, I thought you would be up at Beltinge this afternoon.  I'm at work as usual when the wind is on at beltinge  >:(

paul w

Quote from: simon_t on March 05, 2009, 12:34:06 pm
Paul, I thought you would be up at Beltinge this afternoon.  I'm at work as usual when the wind is on at beltinge  >:(

I've got to pop out that way in a bit for work as luck would have it, no doubt there'll be a little 'something'
in the car ready to take advantage of the wind!

I'll do a couple of speed runs in your honour Simon!

paul w

no wind at the coast this afternoon, chewed the cud with the paragliders and watched the gulls flap

GP

Hairyflyer, I think this is your plane being launched at Ivinghoe so I thought I'd put the pic on here.

Hairyflier

Quote from: flamehead on March 05, 2009, 21:55:31 pm
Hairyflyer, I think this is your plane being launched at Ivinghoe so I thought I'd put the pic on here.

Certainly is, nice shot. Loved Brecon the Collie too.  :af
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. Voltaire

giskard

Hi... is this the place to contact the slopehunter guys?

Allen the soarer

yeah he's hiding in here somewhere

GARY!!! ( yells at the top of my voice)
Don't buy something new

NickK

Lol

anyway see you up at longman tomorrow afternoon  ::cc

anyone else coming  :-\
Who says ventriloquism is Gollocks

Allen the soarer

Dont look like it know just you and me nick, there might be a few other locals  :xx
Don't buy something new

GP

Quote from: giskard on March 06, 2009, 12:48:52 pm
Hi... is this the place to contact the slopehunter guys?

Yeah, this is the thread where some of the guys who slope soar in the southeast arrange flying sessions.  I'm out of commission this weekend but a couple of guys are meeting up on Saturday at the Long Man site.

DelUK

Have fun down south lads, some of us will be staying local in Kent.

GP

I was babysitting today, but after lunch I saw the wind was good for Colley Hill, which is only 20 minutes drive for me, so I thought "To heck with it, I'm flying, I'll just have to take the babies with me." 

The lift was pretty epic, the most lift I've ever experienced anywhere in 8mph wind - that's a funny hill, that Colley Hill, you never know what to expect - sometimes it's great, sometimes terrible, there's no sense to it.  A club from Dartford was there.  Apparently they'd been to Castle Hill in the morning, found no lift, and so moved to Colley Hill where they had a great time.

paul w

Quote from: Aeronaut on March 07, 2009, 18:25:15 pm
  A club from Dartford was there.  Apparently they'd been to Castle Hill in the morning, found no lift,

yup, as soon as the lift got up the sky was full, and I mean FULL of paragliders

Allen the soarer

Was a great day at longman was 30mph with gusts of 38mph
first time i have had full ballast and a good blow for the Aldij
landing's a pig at longman the best of time but with a fast plane it really tricky

Great day Cheers Nick
and that Johns plane was massive !
Don't buy something new

paul w

Quote from: Allen the soarer on March 07, 2009, 21:27:26 pm

and that Johns plane was massive !

enquiring minds want to know more......

Allen the soarer

I think its name was Salto or something similar
Don't buy something new

paul w

a Salto indeed (German for 'loop' I believe)

looks like he even had the scale dive brakes.......superb!