RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 15, 2019, 23:48:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

South Wales Slopers

Started by clayts75, September 03, 2009, 13:46:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

tired tim

Quote from: clayts75 on January 17, 2010, 21:11:03 pm
Drove down the Gower to Rhossili, parked in the church carpark and walked straight up the side of the big hill on Rhossili Bay.
You could also park in Llangennith and walk up the other end of the hill.

I bet that was a great place to be today. Am trying to persuade Eyeboy to head out that way.  :xx
Proving it's not a perfect world!

clayts75

January 17, 2010, 21:34:09 pm #121 Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 22:20:18 pm by clayts75
It was indeed a great place to be today! Still smiling :)

I saw a video or four being bandied about today. Keep your eyes open, possibly in the Model Maidens thread?

cliffhanger

Quote from: clayts75 on January 17, 2010, 19:34:38 pm

Cliffhanger Rog maidened his Segway, flew and broke his Swinger and ProdiJ.

At one point, was flying back to the front from out the back and as I re-entered the front I was confronted with a Cesna with its prop not spinning heading straight at my M60!!! I wasn't expecting that :o . I don't think he was either as he had to turn his motor back on and claw his way out of the hill face and try again. It is a pretty cool thing to watch a fullsize cessna slope soaring.


Yep it was a great winter's day- if the wind had been ~8mph more it would have been nigh on perfect.
Caught a grass clump landing the Prodij. Just sheared one of the nylon wing bolts- sorted.
Swinger gave the appearance of being shot down- anyway just a broken spruce spar- luckily it was built so the wings slide off, so half hours work to fix it.
That Cessna often comes along to slope soar if the wind is right. It's from Fairwood airport and would be doing pleasure rides.
So for ~£40 you too could be doin' the real thing above Rhossili! :D

clayts75

Glad they are both easily fixed. As I was walking up, I was watching you fly the Swinger and would like to see it fly again. Looked like fun and am going to keep an eye on the Swingers thread with interest to build one up as it looks like a fun time on the sticks. The Segway was flying really well too.
Quote from: cliffhanger on January 18, 2010, 21:39:45 pm
Swinger gave the appearance of being shot down-

Is the battery/receiver wire sorted from the Bwlch new years day or am I thinking about the wrong plane?
Gotta prioritise the workshop builds so that I can get more than two planks up and running.

andrewmawr

yesterday sounds like it was a god day chaps,gutted i missed it.must make more more of an effort to get out n fly :banghead:

clayts75

Quote from: andrewmawr on January 18, 2010, 23:04:38 pm
yesterday sounds like it was a god day chaps,gutted i missed it.must make more more of an effort to get out n fly :banghead:


It was..... You should :af :ev

andrewmawr

yeah tell me 'bout it. always next time

clayts75

Bit early but the wind doesn't look particularly promising for a play this weekend :'(

andrewmawr

early days yet,everything crossed :xx :xx :xx.things might be a bit windier at altitude if not might even have to dig something p~~p driven out.         [not poop]

clayts75

I must admit, that if I flew power, I'd be very excited about the prospect of a sunny weekend with very light breezes.
I don't though..... so it's just annoying :D

tired tim

Quote from: clayts75 on January 19, 2010, 22:45:11 pm
I must admit, that if I flew power, I'd be very excited about the prospect of a sunny weekend with very light breezes.
I don't though..... so it's just annoying :D


Working the weekend, today is my day off and it's snowing!  :banghead:
Proving it's not a perfect world!

andrewmawr

Anybody fancy a light air slope session this weekend,not sure where to go,all suggestions welcome.Have foamies-will travel :)

clayts75

Saturday looks like the pick of the W/E with sunshine and 6-8mph Northerlies. The VR98 slope would be great.
I'm in :af
Hopefully some stuff will be delivered tomorrow that will enable me to get my F3Ffery thingy :af up and running :) Not holding my breath though.
Stuck the Flying Fish wing together tonight, so that shouldn't be too far away from flying again too.
Spitfire is next in the Queue :study:

clayts75

I'll be at the VR98 slope at the Bwlch from about 10am. If anyone feels like flying with me, come along.

Two weekends in a row!! What's going on!!!


SSSSSHHHHHHHSHSSSHHH.... you'll jynx it ya Duffa

andrewmawr

Woohoo flying and [hopefully] sunshine.Would be nice to put some more faces to names,come on chaps, come out and play.The more the merrier :D
At the very least you can laugh at my flying :nananana:

clayts75

Quote from: clayts75 on January 21, 2010, 22:06:03 pm
.... If anyone feels like flying with me, come along.



I won't fly all the time, so you can fly while I'm not flying if you would prefer.

tired tim

Quote from: clayts75 on January 21, 2010, 21:49:55 pm

Spitfire is next in the Queue :study:


Have just started to cover my Spit. Won't be long now  :uk:
Proving it's not a perfect world!

tired tim

Quote from: andrewmawr on January 21, 2010, 22:12:32 pm
Woohoo flying and [hopefully] sunshine.Would be nice to put some more faces to names,come on chaps, come out and play.The more the merrier :D
At the very least you can laugh at my flying :nananana:


Unfortunately working this weekend  :'( But next time  :af
Proving it's not a perfect world!

clayts75

Looking forward to seeing your Spit flying at the Bwlch 'next time'.
The PSS gathering seems to be building up a head of steam. Just need to find out spare dates for the Bwlch if you are still keen to have it 'here'.

tired tim

Quote from: clayts75 on January 21, 2010, 22:45:34 pm
Looking forward to seeing your Spit flying at the Bwlch 'next time'.
The PSS gathering seems to be building up a head of steam. Just need to find out spare dates for the Bwlch if you are still keen to have it 'here'.


Seems like the best place really. Has to be somewhere that takes most directions and can cope with lightish winds ie the Bwlch!
How does April sound as a first stab at a loose date  $%&
Proving it's not a perfect world!

clayts75

April 18 was going to be F3F, but was not required so is free.
Got the Saturday (17th) as 60" pylon but hasn;t really taken off as yet.
Were you thinking one day as a fly in, or two day official PSSA type?
I am only new at the club, but it isn't very active, so I don't see any probs. Just need to run it passed the Pres etc.

cliffhanger

Yep- hope to get up there ~10.00 on Sat for 2- 3 hours.
Looks like it's gonna be Speedo/Weasel type winds- better than nought :af

clayts75

Last time you were there, the predicted winds were 5mph and the slope didn't perform like that did it.
Bring your Luna and your Speedo and your Segway.

tired tim

Quote from: clayts75 on January 21, 2010, 22:56:34 pm
April 18 was going to be F3F, but was not required so is free.
Got the Saturday (17th) as 60" pylon but hasn;t really taken off as yet.
Were you thinking one day as a fly in, or two day official PSSA type?
I am only new at the club, but it isn't very active, so I don't see any probs. Just need to run it passed the Pres etc.


I would guess at just one day unless enough want to make it last the whole 9 yards! Getting a two day pass from the Guvna might be problematic  :''
What do you mean, under the thumb  :embarassed:
Proving it's not a perfect world!

clayts75

Quote from: tired tim on January 22, 2010, 16:25:33 pm
I would guess at just one day unless enough want to make it last the whole 9 yards! Getting a two day pass from the Guvna might be problematic  :''
What do you mean, under the thumb  :embarassed:

So is Sunday the 18th April a date that you would like to run passed the President?

My thoughts about a PSS gathering at the Bwlch were just a one day gathering on a Sunday and just try to get as much pictoral and videographic evidence as I can. What are your thoughts, plans or ideas?

clayts75

Looks like it might be swinging round to Icecream Slope. See what it feels like when we get there

Quote from: cliffhanger on January 21, 2010, 23:03:53 pm
Yep- hope to get up there ~10.00 on Sat for 2- 3 hours.
Looks like it's gonna be Speedo/Weasel type winds- better than nought :af

tired tim

Quote from: clayts75 on January 22, 2010, 21:12:08 pm
So is Sunday the 18th April a date that you would like to run passed the President?

My thoughts about a PSS gathering at the Bwlch were just a one day gathering on a Sunday and just try to get as much pictoral and videographic evidence as I can. What are your thoughts, plans or ideas?


I'll run the 18th past the troops, but as a starting suggestion, it a good un!
I also agree with you to hit the Sunday. I'm in contact with Phil Cooke at the PSSA about other things and will get him to publish the date as soon as we get the go ahead from your club.  :xx
Proving it's not a perfect world!

clayts75

What an interesting day :)
Lift was changeable all day. But we got in many flights with the best lift being from about 2pm.
Mad as a frootloop, jelly pilot, Cliff was itching to fly so badly that he launched from the layby at the wrecker into a sparrows fart about five minutes before the lift picked up. He then proceded to land out.
We had also been watching a series of car accidents on the road below the wrecker. A few Beauts.
The same jelly pilot ended up back at the top and launched from the same place as his mates and then proceeded to pile into the VR98 slope with his main folded in half and his reserve managing to break his fall enough to save him from breaking anything. He bounced into the cliff in front of the road and then got dragged over the road. Ouch. :o
I'll stick to RC gliders! I'm sure he is still talking away to himself and even that experience won't slow him down.
My launches weren't very good today and I had to climb down the wrecker again today too. :embarassed:
Had a great day though and was good to fly with Andrew Mawr and Cliffhanger Rog.
Pretty sure there is a video of me being my own target $%& making its way to youtube at some stage tonight.


clayts75


andrewmawr

[img]/img]
nuff said
vid link on the way


clayts75

January 23, 2010, 19:30:14 pm #152 Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 22:42:14 pm by clayts75
Nice one Andy ;)
Youtube sometimes compress the vids a bit?

andrewmawr

Yeah ,quality looks rubbish now,it should improve.as for the music $%& it's just a stock tune that came with the vidcam software.A couple of valiums before the next flying sesh  should help with the camera shake.Champing at the bit for more flying now ;D

clayts75

Quality on the Vid is great now :af

clayts75

Beautiful day again with better wind today for flying. Hope someone/anyone is making the most of it :af
I am locking myself in the garage and not coming out until I have finished one of the planes on the bench.
See ya

clayts75

I imagine that it would have been a nice morning on Rhossili this morning. Anybody (likely only to have been Roger) hit it? What about any other hills?

Eyeboy

Clayts, am I correct in thinking that despite the massive reputation the Bwlch isn't flown as often as we might think - today for example?
$%&
Yeah you?

clayts75

correctomundo opticman. There are a couple of other blokes that fly up there and don't do computers, but I've bumped into them about twice each.
Makes frequency control easy :af

Much rather fly with company though.
Looking forward to PSS bash. Waiting to hear back from Knewt about whether or not the 18th will be OK.
Are you gunna hire a van for your fleet?

Eyeboy

Quote from: clayts75 on January 24, 2010, 21:09:36 pm
correctomundo opticman. There are a couple of other blokes that fly up there and don't do computers, but I've bumped into them about twice each.
Makes frequency control easy :af

Much rather fly with company though.
Looking forward to PSS bash. Waiting to hear back from Knewt about whether or not the 18th will be OK.
Are you gunna hire a van for your fleet?


LOL! Won't be hiring a van but i'll definately try to cram as much into my car as i can. I'm going have to to get to the Bwlch over the next few weeks just for a little play and to learn from you experts about LZ's etc. I was of the impression that it held a comp every other week! Don't know why i should think it would be so much different to St.Agnes but it does surprise me considering they are two of the best slope sites in the uk.
$%&
Yeah you?