September 22, 2019, 06:26:59 am

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

September 22, 2019, 06:26:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

DS-UK Speeds...

Started by deckit, November 15, 2009, 21:07:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

deckit

November 15, 2009, 21:07:13 pm Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 19:45:39 pm by Zim
We don't have the benefit of a DS Section on RCMF, so why not a dedicated thread for DS junkies?

I'm happy to start the ball rolling.

This weekend at RE:

Saturday.
Winds less than forecast, about 20ish, not enough for the MCTs!
New UK foamie record & foamie PB for Mark Southall with 178 mph from his Reaper. :uk:
Fastest was Mark (Abbo) Abbott's MCT with 211 mph; Steve (Hobster) Hobday's MCT only a smidgeon behind at 197 mph.
Will Deighton upped his PB to 123 mph with his Mini Dragon & his S15 foamie PB to 90 mph  :co

Sunday:
Only about 12/15 over the ridge & off to the west.
But once the walker population disappeared late affy, huge fun had by all with a 6 plane furball developing into a 3 plane figure of eight (a "fur 8"?), the counter-clockwise leg of which joined the remaining 3 plane furball. Not a single collision! :af

wdeighton

November 15, 2009, 21:53:31 pm #1 Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 22:35:17 pm by wdeighton
I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but some speeds

Adam Richardson got 122mph with his erwin
I hit a 100mph with my 2M blade
George got 91 mph with is mini balde.

Adam Richardson maddened is "tank" and got 110mph
Ian Hamerton maddened is chapter 2 not sure how it went, but it was a different model to see on the slope.

I had the most laps ever in 1 day today, not the fastest but good to get consistency.
Furball was fun but I did not do too well with the figure 8.

Will

Adam Richardson

Ian took the Chapter 2 home in a bin bag Will :banghead:

Yum Yum, These Korean meat balls really are the dogs bollox.

fish61

This is the best us Southerners could manage on Thursday.

Doug:
Chevrolark - 123 (fastest so far for this airframe)
Chevrolark inverted! - 121 (ditto inverted! )
Lark - 154

Steve:
2 spar Sniper - 167
1 spar Sniper - 137
1 spar SLE Sniper - 141

The Chevrolark is a 48" chevron, the Lark a 60" EPP Plank as are Steves Snipers.

Pictures can be seen in post 414 on this link

DSing in Devon - RC Groups

Doug

wdeighton

Quote from: adam_lambretta on November 15, 2009, 22:56:22 pm
Ian took the Chapter 2 home in a bin bag Will :banghead:

Well that's a bit over the top, it was separated into fuz and wing but not quite bin bag.

what I meant was how well it was flying and more important how fast.

Will

deckit

November 15, 2009, 23:34:47 pm #5 Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 14:57:22 pm by Zim
UK 200+ CLUB

255 Mark Southall               Opus MCT       27 DEC 09   SH
250  Mark Abbotts              Opus MCT       06 DEC 09    PYF
231  Steve Hobday             Opus MCT       25 OCT 09    HH
228  Graham Reed              Opus MCT       06 DEC 09    PYF
227 Dave the Train (?)        Opus MCT       27 DEC 09    SH
206  Alex McMeekin             Falcon DS       10 JAN 06    PYF

Any error or omission, please shout.

deckit

November 15, 2009, 23:40:11 pm #6 Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 14:58:01 pm by Zim
UK FOAMIE 150+ CLUB

200  Mark Southall      Reaper 60      27 DEC 09  SH
170  Steve Clarke       Sniper 60       09 APR 09   MP
165  Doug Penman      Lark              19 NOV 09  MP
163  Steve Forbes      Reaper 60      03 NOV 09   SK
163  Ian Hammerton    Plug DS 60     03 FEB 08   RE
154  Graham Bridge     Halfpipe 60     19 NOV 09  RE
151  Steve Clarke       SLE Sniper      21 NOV 09  MP
150  Adam Richardson  JW 60           25 OCT 09  SK

Any error or omission, please shout.

Zim

Yeah good flying today homies. The foamball was ridiculous! Probably between 70-90mph in there? And so nice to do the formation DSing with the HP60's eh Graham! Can't quite keep up with you yet mate!

D40 was nice today - got the cheeky little blighter up to 100mph - it's a right funny little thing. Feels fine on the front, but in DS the elevator feels a bit soggy up to 80 odd, and it gets knocked around a bit, but once it breaks 85-90, the elevator feels perfect and it just seems to slice through everything really nicely. Can't wait to have it out in around 20mph - I reckon that would be a nice step up from stuff like today. Below 80 there were several times just after the bottom turn when she would get hit by something and go through a full half roll when it was coming up the hill! But it all stops and gets solid as you get quicker. Brilliant little model - really glad I went with one despite my initial misgivings.

Took the Splinter up AGAIN today but conditions didn't play ball. Can't wait to get this thing on a gun as I'm convinced that it'll breeze way past my daft little PB of 110mph and make it feel incredibly easy doing it!

Zim

deckit

November 15, 2009, 23:45:31 pm #8 Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 20:30:04 pm by deckit
UK SPECIAL MENTION CLUB

Fastest 60" mouldie:             197   Steve Forbes     Kinetic 60                     03 NOV 09   SK.

Fastest inverted DS flight:     140   Doug Penman     Lark (HU703)                 21 NOV 09   MP.

Fastest piece of timber:         162   Warwick Smith   Splinter (Idigbo) DS        19 NOV 09   RE.

Any further nomination? Please let me know by PM.

deckit

Doug's inverted was with    Chevrolark 48.

n-tropic

...And Doug Penman should go in the Foamy 150 club with his Lark at 155, 26.8.09 Morte point gunned and witnessed by his bro (name?) with a Pro-speed.

Steve

Adam Richardson

Zim managed to up his mouldie PB yesterday from 93mph to 100mph increasing his lead on George.

But for how long??
Yum Yum, These Korean meat balls really are the dogs bollox.

George 419

Quote from: adam_lambretta on November 16, 2009, 16:24:30 pm
Zim managed to up his mouldie PB yesterday from 93mph to 100mph increasing his lead on George.

But for how long??

Yea Zim... enjoy it whilst it lasts...  :ev

And thanks All for a top day yesterday. Lots and lots of laps with the JW and a few 'ungunned'  :nananana: with the D40 and some with my miniblade. Learnt alot and had a ball. Nice one!
More Please!
George
Hiccup Turpin, the most fearedest highwayman of Wiggy Poo.

Some, or all of the above,  could be, or

Zim

Quote from: adam_lambretta on November 16, 2009, 16:24:30 pm

But for how long??

LOL let's never put you down as a witness eh? George's D40 is 93, mine was 94. Need a decent day now so that I can get my moulded PB over my foamie PB lol.

Bad Raven

Hi Guys,

Far from being a DS junkie here, but willing to look and learn................. :embarassed:

Was about to ask if somebody could find the time to point newbies at the models involved (links, etc).

Some of the names are not too bad, found the Reaper for example:-

South Pacific Models - Dynamic Soaring Foamies

Then discovered :-

RCSpeeds Home Page

which opened up a lot more links from it's aircraft lists.

Other DS newbies might find this useful..................??
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

deckit

[..And Doug Penman should go in the Foamy 150 club with his Lark at 155, 26.8.09 Morte point gunned and witnessed by his bro (name?) with a Pro-speed.

Steve]   

Done  :af

deckit

[........Other DS newbies might find this useful..................??]

Thanks Bravedan.
Aso see Zim's "Newbie DS" thread.

n-tropic

November 19, 2009, 18:17:11 pm #17 Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 22:09:00 pm by n-tropic
 :) Graham, you can push Doug up the rankings in the Foamy 150 club. He went 165 today!:

Morte Point, Devon UK - 19.11.09. Wind: 35mph S - SSW.

Doug Penman:

Lark - 165mph (new pb & airframe record)
Chevrolark - 129 mph (airframe record)

Witness: Steve Clarke. Radar: Prospeed

Steve Clarke

2 spar Sniper - 121
1 Spar Sniper - 149 (bendy wing!)

Witness: Doug Penman. Radar: Prospeed

A wee report, some pics on on the DSing in Devon thread

Steve

Zim

Lots of good stuff from the boys at Rushup today. Hopefully Graham will finishing rebuilding his PC soon and put them up!  :af

Z

PS Abbo was screaming again today - 227 - just 10 shy of his record. I think this season is going to be big.

n-tropic

Quote from: Zim on November 19, 2009, 21:26:50 pm
Lots of good stuff from the boys at Rushup today. Hopefully Graham will finishing rebuilding his PC soon and put them up!  :af

Z

PS Abbo was screaming again today - 227 - just 10 shy of his record. I think this season is going to be big.

Nice one Abbo! He's really got his foot on the pedal at the moment.

Got to agree Zim. Lot's of people trying hard at the mo' and lots of new artillery appearing on the slopes. Healthy scene. Go UK!

deckit

First, congrats to Doug on a whopping 165 mph with his Lark.

Evidently conditions at Morte were once again mirrored by those at Rushup, with a little too much west in the wind.

Rushup today had 24-28 mph OTT  & provided a most unusual experience - for those of us doing backside landings - of positive lift on a nearly still backside (I kid you not).
Kiwi Steve has the list of speeds, so I'm going from memory & would welcome correction:

Fastest of the day was Abbo with 227 from his MCT.

Zim upped his PB, in one giant leap, to 162 aided by the quite remarkable Splinter DS.
George (Pilkington) did likewise with 148 mph from his Mini Blade.
And Kiwi Steve (Steve Rainbow) followed suit with 154 from his Mini Blade.

Upped my foamie PB to 154 with the Halfpipe 60.
And my PB to 185 with the Opus V.

Quick plug - anyone looking for the Opus experience on a budget? Prepared to part with mine to part fund something faster.

abbof3f

Quote from: n-tropic on November 19, 2009, 21:51:50 pm
Nice one Abbo! He's really got his foot on the pedal at the moment.

Got to agree Zim. Lot's of people trying hard at the mo' and lots of new artillery appearing on the slopes. Healthy scene. Go UK!
thanx steve ,250mph would do me for now but i cannot quite hit it
plonker!

kirsty carnage

Guys when do you mainly visit the North Devon slopes...Woolacombe, Morte & Saunton Downs?

Zim

Hey Graham - cheers for the inclusion in the special mention club, but unfortunately the Thorn has gone a fair way faster than us in Australia, and that certainly qualifies for the fastest piece of timber too! But they only did 180 something if memory serves, so I'm fairly certain the Splinter will have that accolade by Sunday - Adam's on a mission LOL

Z

n-tropic

Quote from: deckit on November 20, 2009, 00:48:54 am
Upped my foamie PB to 154 with the Halfpipe 60.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's an airframe world record speed for the HP60

Congratulations Graham! :)

Steve

George 419

World Record for the airframe Graham. Cool Dude!

George
Hiccup Turpin, the most fearedest highwayman of Wiggy Poo.

Some, or all of the above,  could be, or

Zim

Yeah - thought it was Graham! The UK boyz have got the HP faster than anyone else! Sign of things to come? Come on lads, let's have that world foam record!

Z

Cardboard Keith

Nice work yesterday chaps on the new PB's :af

Keep them coming

deckit

1. Kirsty, I love you. should I head immediately for a N.Devon slope, or for Thailand? :-*
   (Woops, just remembered, most nubile chicks on the web turn out to be elderly pervs on a mission) :banghead:

2. Thanks Steve, you may have a point. And happily it's a standard HP60, but with a significant amount of trim ballast lead built into & attached externally under the nose - necessitated by my belt & braces approach to taping the elevons on for DS, with lots of over-under tabs of c/w tape, supplemented by full runs of the same top & bottom, then full runs of coloured tape too. Which raises an interesting point - I recall that some at least of the fastest foamies in the U.S. (e.g. Spencer's JW?) retain balsa elevons: so is bagging same in carbon, as some do, a necessity?
BTW, this plane was built rather well by Tom Satinet, so much credit to him - only the elevon taping required modification.

3. Thanks for the correction, Zim. I'll amend the Special Mention list so as to exclude, albeit temporarily, the "on the planet" reference.
BTW, can one rent those Splinters for an affy? ;)

n-tropic

November 20, 2009, 17:57:45 pm #29 Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 22:47:09 pm by n-tropic
Quote from: deckit on November 20, 2009, 17:46:30 pm

I recall that some at least of the fastest foamies in the U.S. (e.g. Spencer's JW?) retain balsa elevons: so is bagging same in carbon, as some do, a necessity?

There have been plenty of rows over the border line between a foamy and a.... not a foamy in the DS section on RCG. Eventually somebody ran a poll and the consensus (4 to 1 for) was that bagged elevons were OK.

But to address your question: Since the JW has a really thick section it's elevons are correspondingly chunky which means they are therefore probably fairly easy to get stiff without bagging. Thinner sections such as those on the HP have correspondingly thinner elevons which tend to be naturally more twisty. But I guess yours are not bagged, which makes your achievement all the more impressive. Plus Kudos to Tom for the clean build. :)

Steve

fish61

Graham, welcome to the foamy 150 club, not easy to get that speed at the best of times but an even bigger achievement with the HP60, the best Ive seen one go is Steve's at 134mph and that was quite impressive.

Re bagged elevons, all my 60" Larks are bagged although the original was only bagged on one side and was (is) still very flimsy, but hasn't fluttered yet. My Halfpipe and Chevrolark are NS covered, again flimsy but haven't fluttered either at 133 and 129mph respectively, so maybe we are overengineering things a bit, but I think from a safety point of view that has to be a good thing, particularly with speeds increasing as they are at the moment in the UK.

Doug

satinet

Nice one Graham. Glad the model is flying well. Some serious speed that is.

You boys have had your wheatabix lately! Lots of records and PBs.

deckit

Tom:
Hadn't expected you to venture into this territory.
So thanks, direct.
BTW, you can keep the tranny, but the slippers would come in handy :af

satinet

ncmf make a good kit don't they. The golf shafts PUed in make for a strong model I reckon.

Better get my jw and thorn ready for action.

n-tropic

Quote from: deckit on November 20, 2009, 17:46:30 pm

1. Kirsty, I love you. should I head immediately for a N.Devon slope, or for Thailand? :-*
   (Woops, just remembered, most nubile chicks on the web turn out to be elderly pervs on a mission) :banghead:

Lol! Just Googled "Kirsty Carnage" Graham. You're out of luck mate, she's engaged! ;D ..and flies electric helis. Oh well since you're not a Thai ladyboy Kirsty I guess it would be cool for you to join us and check out the DS mayhem at Morte Point some time. Tomorrow is looking a bit iffy now as it's probably going to be too wet. keep an eye on the RCG thread and maybe we'll see you soon.

Steve

kirsty carnage

Quote from: n-tropic on November 21, 2009, 01:25:24 am
Lol! Just Googled "Kirsty Carnage" Graham. You're out of luck mate, she's engaged! ;D ..and flies electric helis. Oh well since you're not a Thai ladyboy Kirsty I guess it would be cool for you to join us and check out the DS mayhem at Morte Point some time. Tomorrow is looking a bit iffy now as it's probably going to be too wet. keep an eye on the RCG thread and maybe we'll see you soon.

Steve

Damn I was hoping to be a ladyboy from Thailand...don't want to disappoint Graham do we  :ev ;D ;D
I will try & watch rcgroups, but not being a member means I don't visit it often, will no doubt see u at Morte in the comming months ahead Steve.

Kirsty x

n-tropic

November 21, 2009, 18:48:44 pm #36 Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 20:44:52 pm by n-tropic
Got out today after all since the day dawned dry.

Morte Point 21.11.09. Wind SSE moving to SSW, starting at 33mph and dropping off to 25. Lots of rain.

Doug:

Lark: 137 mph
Inverted Lark 140 mph! :af

Steve:

SLE Sniper (single spar @ 54 Oz): 151 mph

A full report you know where. Well pleased with that 151 on such a flimsy lightweight. Expect to see a beefier one on the slopes in the near future. ;)

Steve

deckit

Stunning stuff at MP today.
Congrats to Steve & Doug; will amend lists on p1.  :)

Doug, doing 140 with a foamie is difficult enough; to do it inverted is outrageous.
Utterly envious. >:(

And 151 with a lightie means the Sniper planform has got to be right.
So the Reaper will soon meet its maker; surely?

So Doug's Prospeed needs a long session in the drying room.
Can you not set a minimum speed detection threshold?
This saves my Stalker from reading raindrops :af

deckit

Obviously, my heart is broken.
Kirsty has a financiee. :'(

kirsty carnage

Quote from: deckit on November 21, 2009, 20:11:04 pm
Obviously, my heart is broken.
Kirsty has a financiee. :'(

Mine is broken as well, no one told me you were going DS'ing today!!