RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 12, 2019, 01:44:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Falcon Aviation Jet 1 Trainer

Started by brand1068, June 10, 2010, 11:28:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

brand1068

Anyone seen one of these in the flesh ?

I asked them if they would take the p80 but the reply wasnt very specific.

Chris
Sign up for the Winterton Model Show http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/board,288.0.html
Or See the site for details http://www.wintertonmodelshow.co.uk

Fisty

June 10, 2010, 11:44:17 am #1 Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 12:11:33 pm by Fisty
Yes, i have to admit to owning one of these! i saw it on ebay last year and thought it would be a good laugh with my unemployed MW44 gold in it, won it for £55. It is very ugly!! but flys quite well and i fly it from some very rough and compact flying sites. It came as a kit with a moulded fuselage pod and wings finished as in your picture, but in an effort to try and 'polish a love puppy' i finished it in ferrari red with a few stickers. I called it the 'Kamco Kajet' as everyone who saw it said it reminded them of a Kamco Kadet trainer . . . . but with a jet, hence Kajet. A P80 is way to big for it and you would definitely not get it in there. It is for turbines in the 44/54 class. It has a tendancy to pitch up with throttle use but it is not to drastic, it has grown on me and i do enjoy flying it and it does get abused! Dick Spreadbury took these photos at Wroughton a couple of months ago.

[attachimg=#]
[attachimg=#]
[attachimg=#]
[attachimg=#]
[attachimg=#]

Thorjet

I have one, had 50 odd flights with a 54. Looks ugly but flies very well as a trainer, you would not get a P80 in it without a tyre lever!!

I did a few modifications, change all links for better. Proper hinges and a Carbon pushrod for elevator etc

Still as good as new your for £75

Andy Sayle

Is the wing built up, or Foam core?

Andy
I can fix anything in the whole world, for I am armed with two rolls of Duct tape, and a rather large Hammer....

CF-FZG

I thought they were foam wings, but looking at the red one from below, it looks built up $%&

Mark
Paint will not hide imperfections, it will just change their colour!

Fisty

June 10, 2010, 12:26:01 pm #5 Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 12:46:56 pm by Fisty
They are built up, as are the ailerons. Built from laser cut pieces, i thought they were quite nicely built . . . .pod moulding was not to hot though. The plans for the original all built up model came with it and those wings were foam, but had a built up option aswell.

brand1068

Oh.. never mind then.

If I cant get the p80 in it....

Cheers,

Chris
Sign up for the Winterton Model Show http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/board,288.0.html

Vinceyboy

Chris, you've got the right size turbine for a Sprint :af keep your eyes open for one in the adds.
"Jet flying is strictly on a shoestring"

brand1068

Yeah will do mate.

Might have my L39 built by then :)

Sent off all the wing Dimensions to BillKits on Wed so hopefully wont be too long.

I think I'll get Doug to test fly it though :)

need to sort some resin etc for the wings and tail now...

Might even do a build..

Chris

Fisty

I would say a Sprint is the way forward for you, you can fit a P80 to an Intro with a few mods. Boomers come up quite regularly on the JMA site and BMFA.

Army_Air_Force

Sorry if anyone is offended by this, but that Falcon trainer is pig ugly in my opinion. I wouldn't even buy that as my first R/C trainer. Just because the model is a trainer, why must it be so ugly?  ???

Wouldn't you rather have something like this as a Jet Trainer, that's what it was designed for.

Done everything I wanted to in R/C, so now re-building WW2 Jeeps.
My Various Hobbies Here

Thorjet

jason

I do dumps down the toilet that are better looking than those. :ev

brand1068

To be fair steve I quite like it - but £400 for a kit is a bit steep when you've got to assemble and cover it. Also it's for p120's according to the site. I only have a p 80

The boomers are ok and if I can find one reasonable but they appear to be rare without £800 worth of addons. Which for a basic trainer I don't really want.

But I live in hope, well Lincs but you get the idea:)

Chris

Army_Air_Force

The P120 is over powered for the aircraft. It would fly on less, and could be built fixed gear rather than retracts. It was designed all wood as the alternatives for a nice looking jet were all composite and much more expensive than a wood airframe.
Done everything I wanted to in R/C, so now re-building WW2 Jeeps.
My Various Hobbies Here

p51p47

Quote from: brand1068 on June 10, 2010, 22:26:39 pm
To be fair steve I quite like it - but £400 for a kit is a bit steep when you've got to assemble and cover it.

Chris

I'm sorry you feel our 'offering' is too expensive.................can I ask if you have actually looked at the kit contents list?

Three 'AO' size CAD drawn plans, printed directly from the CAD files
• Detailed, photo illustrated, step by step construction manual
• 29 sheets of precision Laser Cut balsa, lite-ply and Birch ply parts
• Sufficient sheets and strip wood to complete the construction
• Cyparis main and rear spar material
• Moulded carbon Fibre canopy
• Petrausch aluminium wing joiner tube & phenolic sockets
• Laser Cut aluminium turbine heat shield
• Custom CNC Milled carbon fibre control horn set
• Fuel system including two 50oz Dubro tanks, felt filters, Tygon fuel tube and pipe clips
• Linkage set including Kavan metal clevises and heavy duty ball links, locknuts, steel studding and carbon tube
• Robart 3/16" hinge points and TamJet offset flap hinges
• Stainless Steel hardware including all fixings for retract installation, wing bolts, servo covers etc

Disregarding all of the laser cut timber parts, wing tube, canopy, plan, 5 page instruction manual, etc....the 'accessory' package if you were to go out and purchase this from your LMS would cost you well in excess of £ 125.00 all on it's own. There is absolutely nothing in the kit package that cannot be used in complete confidence on this model......no cheap nasty Chinese rubbish, it's all quality brands such as Kavan, Dubro, Tamjet etc etc.......

Yes, you have to build it.....but I guess it depends if you want to spend over double on buying an ARTF Boomer that everyone else has got, or if you want to spend a little time building something slightly more individual, and save the cash to spend elsewhere.................

Each to their own......sorry, I just felt I had to stand up for one of our products that I believer very strongly in.

Either way.......mine does fly on a P120 and is overpowered.......kit models are coming in around 25/26lb and will happily fly on a P80

Phil
Real planes are green...anything without guns is a target. Fighteraces Warbird & Accessories

alan c

Well,   as a rep for a competitor for phils plane,     i will state here and now, that having seen inside Phils kit,  i can tell you that he has included only the very VERY best gear in there,     you want quality?  you have to pay for it,     the pod and boomer is probably a fun thing to fly,      but, not for me,    there is only so much ugliness i can stand,   its bad enough looking in the mirror!!

Vinceyboy

Quote from: alan c on June 10, 2010, 23:27:09 pm
there is only so much ugliness i can stand,   its bad enough looking in the mirror!!

"eeee-by-eck Alan" welcome to the club ;D

Anyway, wasn't that the trainer model designed by Terry Lee of Wren & YAS fame?
"Jet flying is strictly on a shoestring"

brand1068

Phil

Thanks for your reply mate.

I wasn't saying that your kit was expensive for what it was - only that as a trainer (which is what I'm looking for) to pay £400 out for something i've got to build then cover (extra cost) was too much.

PS Your site shows it for 20 - 27 LB turbines so my P80 being only 18LB and not having a lot of experiance in this area I naturally assumed it unsuitable, you might want to change it to reflect your comment about it flying well on a P80 especially if its aimed at beginers like me as i'd looked at it before and dismissed it because of the turbine requirements.

Best,
Chris

p51p47

Quote from: brand1068 on June 11, 2010, 09:36:55 am

PS Your site shows it for 20 - 27 LB turbines so my P80 being only 18LB and not having a lot of experiance in this area I naturally assumed it unsuitable, you might want to change it to reflect your comment about it flying well on a P80 especially if its aimed at beginers like me as i'd looked at it before and dismissed it because of the turbine requirements.

Best,
Chris

The 'current' P80 delivers 22lb which is more than enough....................apologies for the confusion, but you didn't say if you have an 'old spec' engine or one of the current generation.

The thing with Valkyrie is it'll do whatever you want it to do........it was my 1st turbine model 4 years ago....it taught me a HUGE amount......but I'm still flying the original prototype today and enjoy it equally as much, if not more now than I did when I was learning. The flight performance is vast....it'll be very docile and fly slowly when you want it to......but open the taps and it'll perform equally as well as the majority of sports jets of this size/engine spec. It's not a 'dedicated' trainer so to speak that will teach you the basic and then you'll get bored of it and want to move on (hence why you feel you may not want to spend very much)......the models performance will move with your ability & experience.

....just a shame 'your' engine is too small :embarassed:

Phil
Real planes are green...anything without guns is a target. Fighteraces Warbird & Accessories

easytiger

Damn, that's an ugly jet.
In the words of the East German Foreign Minister:
"I cannot eat enough to vomit enough!"
The Fighter Aces plane, TO ME, is also hideous.  Not as bad as the pod and boom thing, though. BUT...I can see how some people can like the looks of that one, I just don't.
As far as the price on that kit, to me, it's not out of line at all.  Costs more to make a damn kit than an ARF.  If I had that made in China as an ARF, it would be less than the kit for sure.
I think it's great that the kit exists, and I hope lots of people buy it, and I think it's good that there are at least a few balsa kit options for jets in today's glass ARF world.

flytilbroke

Saw the Jet 1 Trainer yesterday, priced at £99,,, think was on Falcon Aviation.
No Rain, Light wind. Please :-)

JohnB

Quote from: p51p47 on June 11, 2010, 09:54:20 am
The 'current' P80 delivers 22lb which is more than enough....................apologies for the confusion, but you didn't say if you have an 'old spec' engine or one of the current generation.

The thing with Valkyrie is it'll do whatever you want it to do........it was my 1st turbine model 4 years ago....it taught me a HUGE amount......but I'm still flying the original prototype today and enjoy it equally as much, if not more now than I did when I was learning. The flight performance is vast....it'll be very docile and fly slowly when you want it to......but open the taps and it'll perform equally as well as the majority of sports jets of this size/engine spec. It's not a 'dedicated' trainer so to speak that will teach you the basic and then you'll get bored of it and want to move on (hence why you feel you may not want to spend very much)......the models performance will move with your ability & experience.

....just a shame 'your' engine is too small :embarassed:

Phil

I saw one of these at Winterton and I find it both ugly and beautiful at the same time, really, really odd. I have to say though having seen it fly it does fly very well indeed.

J
No longer an active participant.

Big A

Quote from: JohnB on July 04, 2010, 21:55:11 pm
I saw one of these at Winterton and I find it both ugly and beautiful at the same time, really, really odd. I have to say though having seen it fly it does fly very well indeed.

J
I've had a little play with Phil's Valkyrie and all I can say is
AWESOME!!!

easytiger

Quote from: JohnB on July 04, 2010, 21:55:11 pm

J

My thoughts exactly.  I think it's ugly as sin, but I can TOTALLY see where someone else would find it beautiful.  Bet it flies great.
Anyone who thinks that pod and boom thing is in any way beautiful, PM me, because I know this girl you have to marry, she has a really great personality...

Fisty

I flew mine on the friday night of the woodspring wings show weekend, you would be amazed at how many people were interested in it! people were fascinated as to why something so ugly had a jet in it! i and even more surprised at how well it flew, had two offers to buy aswell! there was a new kit for sale on the Falcon aviation stand . . . i was tempted. It does have a strange pitching with throttle use but nothing major, other than that it is very nimble and was very surprised at its performance when i first flew it, it does go very well with a 44 in it. I like it and it really has grown on me. For something that was built for comedy value it has turned out to be a winner.

Kevin Fairgrieve (NSS)

The Valkyrie look good in the flesh.

brand1068

I have to - it didnt appeal to me on the web site much.

But in the flesh - wow whole different kettle of hampsters.

I was really impressed with it. flew from dead slow to erm wow thats fast...

Even the wife was happy with another purchase - now I just need to save up for another turbine :)

PS

Thanks for the look round at Winterton Phil.

Chris

p51p47

captain bubbles

I have brought one from Falcon, I have to say it is ugly :o but it's only a trainer and at only £99.00 its less than half the price of a boomer :af. The guys down at the club show more interest in it than in the boomer ::)

captain bubbles

Please can someone tell me what size tank can go in the Jet 1 Trainer  $%&

The Saint. (Owen)

You can get a 1.2 litre Du-Bro tank in, but if you make new, lower engine mounts and lower the lank floor you can get the 1.5 litre tank in.  :)
Electrickery is the work of the devil.
Proper aeroplanes are powered by engines.

captain bubbles

Quote from: Star Man on September 29, 2010, 21:11:04 pm
You can get a 1.2 litre Du-Bro tank in, but if you make new, lower engine mounts and lower the lank floor you can get the 1.5 litre tank in.  :)

Thanks, there seems a lot if room in there. I will go for the 1.5Lts for a bit more flying time  :)

captain bubbles

Please could someone tell me the CG and the throws  $%&

rogerandout

Quote from: captain bubbles on October 07, 2010, 16:40:35 pm
Please could someone tell me the CG and the throws  $%&

Wren used to sell plans for this they may be able to help. :study:

captain bubbles

Quote from: rogerandout on October 07, 2010, 18:19:13 pm

Wren used to sell plans for this they may be able to help. :study:

I called them and they didn't even know that they made one  :o

martin lees

It was a guy Terry lee who designed the plane, Terry is a director of Wren turbines.
He is on hols at the moment should be back next week.
I can speak to him & ask for the C.G if nobody chimes in before then.

Rgds    Martin.

rogerandout

Quote from: martin lees on October 07, 2010, 19:41:07 pm
It was a guy Terry lee who designed the plane, Terry is a director of Wren turbines.

Rgds    Martin.

Website here

http://freespace.virgin.net/terrylee.milford/jetpage.html#page links

captain bubbles

Quote from: martin lees on October 07, 2010, 19:41:07 pm

Rgds    Martin.

Thanks Martin, That would be great if you could have a word  :af

martin lees

I spoke to terry today , was it you he was talking to the other day ?

Rgds    Martin