RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

April 02, 2020, 07:49:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

The retro glider thread

Started by Phil.Taylor, June 21, 2010, 23:29:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Thermaler

A 1974 Airtronics Super Esprit, all 173".

Joe
V.P. Sport'smans Soaring Program
SSP #3 LSF #6290 AMA #266550

GeeW

Finally finished my Bob Hahn Lil'T . You will of course immediately notice the AFT (all-Fixed-Tailplane) as it is a 1965 single channel hot ship. Initial flights will be on my old propo gear (P4000 16 channel 2.4....which may be considered by some as a micro-tad of overkill?) and once trimmed its straight onto my state of the art "all the whistles and bells" 2.4 compound Bang Bang set :af

Phil_G

Quote from: GeeW on November 22, 2011, 22:11:17 pmstate of the art Bang Bang set :af
Its the state of your trousers that worries me  (boom-boom! (c) Grant/Naylor)

Looks really cute!
I happened across the Lil 'T  as I was reading an old rc mag. It was rudder-only back then - who needs jellyvators anyway  :af
Cheers
Phil

GeeW

As I escaped early from work and the weather was OK I managed to maiden my Lil'T, on propo.
A few hand launches first to get the trim somewhere in the right order then out with the Hi-start and away it went.
I just wish all maiden flights were this easy on single channel!
Full spiel, should you be really bored and have time to kill, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1392668 (last post for flight report)
Ended up using the rearmost hook and full stretch on the twangy bit with good results all round.
On with the next project now.....looking at another vintage S/C powered glider.

Gordon

BalsaDust

Here's a link to a video taken in 1989 ... Would love to get hold of a veron vortex

GP

That's a high quality video for 1989 ... and superimposed frames and everything, impressive.

How did they get the planes to fly so slowly?

Just kidding ...

BalsaDust

Used professional gear to shoot/edit ....

QuoteHow did they get the planes to fly so slowly?

Everythings laid back here .... even the gulls!

Ellipse

Guys,

Has anyone tried using a 2.4 receiver in a Duralene fuselage? if so, were there any problems.

Thanks,

Yoyo

Quote from: Ellipse on February 25, 2012, 11:24:43 am
Guys,

Has anyone tried using a 2.4 receiver in a Duralene fuselage? if so, were there any problems.

I haven't, but I wouldn't expect any problem at all.

The only reason Carbon Fibre is a problem is because it's electrically conductive, so it can act like wrapping it in tin foil.

Duralene is a plastic (as far as I know?) so should be effectively transparent to radio waves.

Doing what you like is Freedom
Liking what you do is Happiness

GeeW

Today I managed my first thermal flight with the Gulliver on S/C. I managed to[attachimg=1] keep it aloft for 30mins from my initial launch.

StanS35

Nice looking glider, not familiar with the Gulliver, details including power set up?

Stan

JonnyST

Nice thread, thanks for sharing.

John.

StanS35

Roger

A wonderful day in Cornwall yesterday, in the morning the wind was light enough to get out my Aquila. My most treasured model as built by my dad in the early eighties from the plan in a american mag.
I dont have a short temper I just have a quick reaction to b%%%s%%%

Darkstar56

Quote from: Roger on April 03, 2012, 08:41:11 am
... the wind was light enough to get out my Aquila. My most treasured model as built by my dad in the early eighties from the plan in a american mag.

I have the plans from a German mag and have been looking at them and wondering.

Should I alter the wing section to a more modern one or stick with what is on the plan? I already have alloy templates for sandwich making the ribs.

If I change the section should I go to one of the SD sections, say SD7055 (?)  or go the whole hog to an MH32 or would that be too fast?

Should I alter the nose and put electrics in it to get it up?

Decisions, decisions. :study:
"... acquisition of knowledge is never too dear."
Sir Francis Walsingham, Spymaster to Q Elizabeth 1.

Roger

Mine flies very well, a real old fashioned floater. The slightest sign of a thermal and shes away. I would strengthen the wing joiner/center section up a bit. The wings nearly folded once with a enthusiastic bungee launch.
I dont have a short temper I just have a quick reaction to b%%%s%%%

Rafale

Quote from: Darkstar56 on April 12, 2012, 20:07:14 pm
I have the plans from a German mag and have been looking at them and wondering.

Should I alter the wing section to a more modern one or stick with what is on the plan? I already have alloy templates for sandwich making the ribs.

If I change the section should I go to one of the SD sections, say SD7055 (?)  or go the whole hog to an MH32 or would that be too fast?

Should I alter the nose and put electrics in it to get it up?

Decisions, decisions. :study:

There was a modification for the section somewhere, I think I printed it out, I have had a quick look on RC Groups but can't find it, I will have a look over the weekend and try and dig it out, I have an original wooden fuz plus an unused plastic one, I just need to sort canopies, is a lovely model, would also like the Grande if I can get the plans.

Cheers

Nige.

Thermaler

I went to a larger joiner and .014 carbon in the spars on my Aquila and will when I build my Aquila Grande kit.

The solo shot is my Aquila, the other is all 3 of them. That is Jack (Captain Jack) Strother holding the Aquila XL I bought from him in a slightly banged up condition. Bob Summers (RIP) is holding his Aquila Grande and the is me holding my Aquila in front.

Lucky me to be in this photo with two past LSF presidents and three Aquilas.

Joe
V.P. Sport'smans Soaring Program
SSP #3 LSF #6290 AMA #266550

Rafale

Hi Joe

Great looking Aquila family there :af

Thanks for your help with the Grande plans, it is very much appreciated :af

Regards

Nige.

SpeedsterDEN

Im towing Einar,s 3 meter Reiher vintage glider at the RC club.
Gopro hero camera on the wing.
The elevator got stuck in a small piece of hard epoxy, just before the landing, the landing was rough but no dammage to the glider.
3 meter Reiher.

Cheers
S
Dynamic soaring will change your life..

sammy5

Quick question on build technique. I'm merrily muddling my way through a BOT at the mo, wonder what people's thoughts are on painted fus or solarfilm fus, and whether it's worth using a sanding sealer if I'm decide to go full film on it.
I'm not building it for max performance, I just think they look gorgeous and I can't think of a better way to spend a becalmed summer's day. :)

JohnMac

Hi Sammy,
Sorry for the late reply but I have only just stumbled accross this thread. My BOT is my oldest model, over 20 years old and still going strong. I would only use sanding sealer if you plan to tissue or nylon cover the fuselage. Solarfilm is fine but I used Solartex and it has stood up really well to the years. The open areas on the wing are covered in red translucent Mica film, made by Sig. I do not know if it is still available but it is very tought and very light weight. The rest of the wing is also covered in Solartex.
Back in the late 60's my first Rc glider was a converted A2 glider. This was a contest kits Empress, if anyone remembers this model. I managed to squeeze in  a McGregor single channels system with an Elmic escapment.
I suspect I am showing my age here :D

Steve J H

Resurrecting this thread a bit.
Bought an SAS Schizo off eBay the other week.
It's untouched in the original box and is mint condition.
Bags unopened and even the foam wings are still in the original parcel tape on them.
The model is the larger version of the blob at 58" span.
The only decision to be made is whether to build it or leave it in the box!

f3fman

Quote from: BalsaDust on February 11, 2012, 23:27:47 pm
Here's a link to a video taken in 1989 ... Would love to get hold of a veron vortex

What a lovely clip.  At a guess I would say it is Andy Fox flying off Noirmont in Jersey, am I right ?

f3fman

December 21, 2012, 23:33:16 pm #186 Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 23:38:02 pm by f3fman
Quote from: BalsaDust on February 11, 2012, 23:27:47 pm

Looks like Andy Fox flying at Noirmont in Jersey to me, am I right ?

wing gerd

hello everybody,
Here my brand new retro glider. we tried to design a old fashion model with the modern cad. Main target was "not too big" and wood structure.
you can find a short clip here:

[attach=1][attach=2]
[attach=3][attach=4]

Yoyo

Quote from: wing gerd on December 25, 2012, 17:13:15 pm
hello everybody,
Here my brand new retro glider. we tried to design a old fashion model with the modern cad. Main target was "not too big" and wood structure.

That's gorgeous.

I guess the diamond structure is more rigid than ribs, with less material? Did you have to laser cut it to make it possible to build?

wing gerd

Quote from: Yoyo on December 25, 2012, 18:14:14 pm
That's gorgeous.

I guess the diamond structure is more rigid than ribs, with less material? Did you have to laser cut it to make it possible to build?

Fortunately i have a laser cut machine, so I made a laser cut short kit. The wing structure is a lot stiffer as expected. The airleron function is made with wing-warping. Because it was a little boring just with rudder and elevator. 
More info's here:
http://www.wegner-flugmodelle.de/ShootingStar.html

Yoyo

Quote from: wing gerd on December 25, 2012, 23:19:41 pm
The airleron function is made with wing-warping. Because it was a little boring just with rudder and elevator. 

So you like a challenge then?

Very interesting build, thanks for the link. :))

wing gerd

Quote from: Yoyo on December 25, 2012, 23:24:44 pm
So you like a challenge then?

Very interesting build, thanks for the link. :))

Its really funny to fly really cool aerobatics with this glider when the other guys are thinking it has only rudder and elevator ;D
There are so many great ideas but unfortunately no time to realize.  :'(

SpeedsterDEN

Found this 40 years old Graupner Foka (2,6 meter span) on the web for 35 £
Maiden flight today.
Better than expected.  :) only with rudder and elevator + towcoupling.

Graupner, SZD 24 FOKA.

Cheers
S

FWAL

January 20, 2013, 10:19:48 am #193 Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:22:20 am by FWAL
OK this project didn't start out as a glider! More a Club 20 Pylon racer but I fell in love with the retro looks as well as my winning bid of £13.06  ;)
I revamped and refurbished some old Middle Phase wings to 1.4m (55") and hope to maiden her as soon as we get a fairly warm SW wind as compared to these freezing Easterlies
[attachimg=3][attachimg=4]
flying without a license
http://soaring-sailing.blogspot.com/

SpeedsterDEN

Flying my vintage 2,6 meter Graupner Foka on a 5 meter (15 feet) high coast slope.
Wind 7 M/sek,  (14 knots)

And now with ailerons. :)

Graupner 2,6 M Foka, sloping

S

SpeedsterDEN

SpeedsterDEN

New old glider in my RC club.
Graupner Cumulus 2800 from around 1978.
Graupner Cumulus 2800

Regards
S

SpeedsterDEN

Graupner vintage glider meet at the RC club.
Graupner vintage gliders

S

slopeflyer

My Omega. This model dates from the 70s and was one of the gliders designed by Colin Chapman. At the time it was the cats pyjamas. I suspect some of you may remember it. Mine has a slimmer and longer fuz, but the wings and tail are essentially unchanged.

slopeflyer

June 22, 2013, 17:39:42 pm #199 Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 17:40:45 pm by slopeflyer
Quote from: slopeflyer on May 18, 2013, 15:01:11 pm
My Omega. This model dates from the 70s and was one of the gliders designed by Colin Chapman. At the time it was the cats pyjamas. I suspect some of you may remember it. Mine has a slimmer and longer fuz, but the wings and tail are essentially unchanged.

Finally some decent weather for her maiden. A little challenging to fly as its pretty light, it dont have any stability probably due to the lack of dihedral, but it looks nice in the sky and is great inverted.
Omega Homebrew Maiden Flight on Vimeo