RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

August 12, 2020, 21:26:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Number Plates with honeycomb background. MOT Failure

Started by stukno, July 11, 2010, 10:20:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

stukno

For those who may be affected, I have just had by car failed an MOT because the numberplate has a faint 'honeycomb' effect on the background.  The plates have been on since the car was new and have been through the test twice already. Apparently the goalposts have been moved!

No great grief to fix just another embuggerance!

stu k

spadulike

as i drive around i see so many illegal number plates these days its crazy.

Do the plates have the BS number and manufacturers name and tel number on them ?

Sizzling

My understanding is that you can not use different background colours apart from the standard yellow or white. You can't use different fonts and you can't adjust the spacings. However you see many cars a day that don't seem to know this and no one seems to do any thing about it, apart from you MOT garage  :ev

Tigger

£60 fine, pictures taken and sent to DVLA who then write to offender requiring proof the VRM has been put right. Those with private plates risk having their VRM withdrawn and being reissued the original plate if they re offend.

JohnP

Number plates and MOTs were discussed somewhere here a little while ago, and it was revealed that number plate checks (including the fonts, spacing, BS number, manufacturers name etc.) were added to the MOT a few years ago but then suddenly withdrawn after a few months - the implication being that somehow VOSA had made a bit of a cock-up.  Eg, see http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=585816

Maybe they've now sorted it all out and are now actually applying the changes to the MOT that they made in 2007? $%&
Quantum est in fenestra canini ?

Tigger

Hopefully tinted windows will be next on the agenda for MOT failures  :af  Some folks are just taking the pi55 with the tint on drivers/front passenger windows.

Bad Raven

Quote from: Tigger on July 11, 2010, 11:46:31 am
Hopefully tinted windows will be next on the agenda for MOT failures  :af  Some folks are just taking the pi55 with the tint on drivers/front passenger windows.

Quite Agree!! :af

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/plates.htm
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

SteveBB

Quote from: Tigger on July 11, 2010, 11:46:31 am

I tend not to let them out of junctions...it isn't my fault can't see the driver's face so why should I assume they've seen my gesture to let them out?  :'' Innit.
Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

Tigger

Legal limit on a side window is 70% (must pass through, 75% on the windscreen), worst I've seen so far is 17% ! :o

JohnP

Tigger - do you routinely carry round the light meters to test windows, like the TV progs imply that that you do?

steamysheep

Quote from: Tigger on July 11, 2010, 12:10:37 pm
Legal limit on a side window is 70% (must pass through, 75% on the windscreen), worst I've seen so far is 17% ! :o

does this apply to sunglasses too..  :'' :''
Keeping my chin up!

Tigger

QuoteTigger - do you routinely carry round the light meters to test windows, like the TV progs imply that that you do?

Yup, this little gadget here......

Tintman

stukno

Theres nothing wrong with the font, spacing etc.  It has a yellow background, rear plate and white for the front. both reflective, apparently it was because there is a honeycomb pattern in the background.

As I said before. passed the Mot for the last two years. Compared to many bastardised plates that you see, on a scale 1 to 10, it was a 0.5.   Anyway, gone now.

stu  k

JohnP

As you say,  hardly a major issue compared to some you see,  though unfortunately the honeycomb background is not in accordance with the regs.  You got away with it in previous MOTs as they haven't been checking plates as part of the MOT.  Looks like that has changed.

jwb

Given the seemingly now strict control over the manufacture and supply of number plates who makes the large number of non-standard plates I regularly see on the road and why is no action taken against them?  Or am I just being naive?

Regards
jwb

JohnP

I haven't looked recently, but a while ago I had a look on ebay with the same question in mind. 

There were a number of companies based outside the UK that would (and presumably still will) supply "UK-style" number plates that didn't meet all the legal requirements, and for which no id was required.

Additionally companies manufacture and sell "show plates" for people to use on their cars off the public highway (yeah, right... ::))  Again no id required.  One such company has in the small print at the bottom of the webpage, "Please be aware that custom plates and show plates are not for use on the public highway and by and by doing so you are in breach of the road traffic act. Show plates are therfore sold on the strict understanding that they will not be afixed to a road-going vehicle and it is entirely your responsibiility as the purchaser to use them only in a legal fashion.

I wouldn't say that no action is taken against dodgy plates.  I don't see as many of them as I used to.  And an ice cream van that regularly parks near the entrance to our flying site used to have Northern Irish plates with italic font and odd spacing - such that the original number was difficult to determine.  It now bears the same number on legal plates.  I assume some persuasion from the authorities was involved!

Bad Raven

Four years ago my son's Golf "failed" it's MOT because of "illegal plates", I'd taken it........when I asked why as there was no attempt at all to DO anything to the plate in any way, I was told that the gap between the number and the first letter was 2mm too much.................On challenging this they backed off and let it pass.

At the same time, and through to now, totally illegal (and unreadable in a proper sense) numbers are VERY VERY common round here.................usually nothing done as they float about for years and years, there's several in my road...........they swap back for the MOT...........it's a useless Law since it's not policed.

Just like fireworks extremely late at night, another basically good idea NEVER upheld.
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

slurp

I actually still have a set of show plates for my old Galaxy for when i used to go to shows.. i never used them on road. At a lot of the car shows you will see people changing their plates for show plates and you would see a small amount of people forgetting to change the plates back to the legal ones. The die hard show plate peeps who go to all the shows to show off their cars, are quite strict on making sure their cars have the legal plates on. Its not all boy racers and such like that have illegal plates on as a lot of the young lads that use show plates are quite responsable drivers and i have met quite a few. The FFOC have a show each year at billing aquadrome around sept time.. its quite a sight if you like modded cars, but they have also expanded it now to inc all cars made by Ford through the years. It is now in amongst one of the biggest car shows held each year.
It's never easy to understand why memories hold our hand, and people let go.

Michael_Rolls

Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

slurp

Quote from: Michael_Rolls on July 12, 2010, 06:23:27 am
What are show plates?
Mike

Show plates..

Mine say MAZS GAL.

the gal is short for galaxy.

show plates can have a persons name on them or the name of the car..anything really.. but they are only used for shows and are NOT legal on the roads.
It's never easy to understand why memories hold our hand, and people let go.

spadulike

Personalised plates and numbers bought legally from the DVLA are often "bastardised"  to read differently.Its a legal reg but the plate itself is not.

The spacing ,the font and the size may be altered to make it look more like a name .

cheese231075

Michael_Rolls

stukno

It raised a smile from me too Mike, even more so when I see that I started this thread and I have absolutely no memory of doing so..... or of the plates / MoT failure that kicked it off   :embarassed:

paulinfrance

They have changed the N° plates for motor bikes over here on the 1st of July, so that
they can 'supposedly' be read easier by the radars, $%& as you can see it's a load of crap as the numbers are the same size, and the fine, 135€ !  :embarassed:
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

Michael_Rolls

Same size but slightly different font - could this be the excuse?
Mike

SteveBB

Quote from: Michael_Rolls on August 23, 2017, 21:14:24 pm
Same size but slightly different font - could this be the excuse?
Mike

Correct use of 'font' Mike. :af..One is standard, the other condensed. Similar (Not identical) typeface.
Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

paulinfrance

No it's the size, 21 cm x 17 cm as opposed from 19 cm x 16 cm.

Michael_Rolls

FlyinBrian

A couple of centimetres can make quite a difference  :''
Basic Research is what I do - when I don't know what I'm doing!.

paulinfrance

It's just another tax to get motor bikes off of the road, :-X last years was 2 green jackets for if you break down you must put them on and go the other side of the AutoRoute barriers, also this year  'legal' bike gloves , next year MOT,
I am waiting for the next tax  :''