RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

July 05, 2020, 01:24:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

New Club In Scotland! Inaugural Fly-in

Started by BrainCube, July 27, 2010, 11:26:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BrainCube

Hiya folks, just wanted to let you all know that a new club has started up in Angus, Scotland, called the "Angus Model Flying Club", or "AMFC" to our friends.

We're having our inaugural fly-in on the 14th and 15th of August. All fliers of all disciplines welcome, no flying restrictions at all and our longest runway is 150 meters of close-mown grass. On-site camping, BBQ, hopefully a trade stand or two, and a chance to fly at our fantastic model aerodrome with a friendly bunch of fellow enthusiasts!

Check out the website for a look at the site and how to get there: AMFC Homepage

Cheers,

Oliver Malham (Club Secretary)

Jeezeypeeps

What a fantastic looking site; certainly looks like you've invested a fair bit of money. I used to go to Montrose club occasionally, but they appeared to be getting squashed into the back corner of a public playing field with little or no support form the local council.

I might just chuck a few models into the back of the car and come for a visit on the 14th or 15th  :af

leccyflyer

May Ye Gang Faur And Fare Waur!
That looks a very impressive club set up you have there gents. I shall think of you next time I'm passing that way and, if I see anything in there air, might even drop off for a look. :af
Nicht mal ein Spitfire kann zur gleichen Zeit im Süden und im Norden sein.

Bustergrunt

Looks great, I moved away from Arbroah when i was 10 and now wish i had an excuse to move back  ::)
I must get out more...

wetjet

Hi, I see your event clashes with the SAA Nationals Competition!!

Is this a deliberate ploy to exclude the Scottish Aeromodellers Association?

It would have been nice to see your site, but if we are not welcome ----

Jeezeypeeps

Quote from: wetjet on July 28, 2010, 20:46:53 pm

That's a bit over the top isn't it? There will always be clashes of dates (unless you're suggesting there should only be one event in the country each week)  ::). Since the SAA nats is  a few hundred miles away (and extraordinarily dull to watch) I don't expect many people from the Angus area will be going, so its perfectly reasonable for them to have an event on the same weekend.  Anyway, if you take the time to look at the site you'll see they're planning an SAA training day, so suggesting SAA members might be 'excluded' is a bit silly. Maybe you should have read the site properly before throwing your toys out of the pram? :co

BrainCube

Not a ploy at all! All our members are SAA members, we're looking at becoming SAA affiliated, and both me and our club treasurer have been SAA members on and off for nearly twenty years.

We picked the date as the only "summer" weekend that was free of events, every other weekend has something local on. Unfortunately, the calender that we were using didn't have the Nationals marked on it, so we only noticed the clash after we'd committed to that weekend. And Jeezeypeeps is right, none of the local modellers that we've talked to have mentioned they'd be heading to the nats instead, it is a long way to go if you're not competing. We'll be more careful with the dates next year!

We'd be happy to host the Nationals too if that helps ;-)

Cheers,

Oliver

Steve_r

Ah!

Just 6 years too late for me! Used to live in Forfar and had nowhere to really fly! (without travelling or landing between goal posts!)

Best of luck with the club...

Might pop in sometime if we are passing by..

Steve
On the build list...P-40, XP-55, Do335!, Grumman Goose, F4F, A-20, Me109e, Cougar, TSR2, Beaufort, Yak 3, Hurricane, Gee Bee R2, Super Sabre, B-58, P-80, Seafire

styk

Quote from: wetjet on July 28, 2010, 20:46:53 pm

God, How childish can one get. You don't happen to serve on committee do you?????? :banghead:

leccyflyer

Whey-hey! The stars and planets have fallen into alignment and we're going to get the chance to visit what looks like a superb club field.

Thanks to Oliver for the invitation and confirmation.

See you there next weekend :af

wetjet

Quote from: styk on July 29, 2010, 20:57:00 pm
God, How childish can one get.

Humourless Git!! $%&

Just in case there are any others, I'll say it without any understatement or hyperbole, without irony or leg-pull, or long words. (sorry, that was a tease)

I met Oliver and he seems a good chap.
I heard of the club and it sounds like a good site.

I was a bit miffed that they aranged their meeting when I couldn't attend.

Someone mentioned the possibility of a National Competition
I was surprised at clashing with the Nats since if they are considering a Competition all the people who may enter and help run it will not get to see the site and its potential.

leccyflyer

Just wanted to say thanks very much for the warm welcome extended by the Angus club at their fly-in yesterday. We got to the party very late, as a result of an unexpected extra morning at work, so only had time for a couple of flights before setting off on the long trek home.

It's a beautiful set up that you guys have worked to build there and the inaugural event was blessed with the best weather of the week. Hope that you get a great turn out for the second day and that everyone has a great time.

I also hope that we'll get the chance to meet you again, when we've got a bit more time.

:af

Brian and Tim

Jamie Duff

Looks like a great site. I shall have to pay a visit.  :af

Actually it looks like the best club around, but is almost an hour away, which is a lot of petrol for a day's flying :'(
I need a new witty signature...

Vinceyboy

Here's an offer for you :''

any Scottish model flyer wishing to become a member of the BMFA next year through a London Area Club, are very welcome to join my Club, We do not have a proper flying site only a park site that electric models can be flown at.

We already have a few Scottish members who wish to be part of the BMFA as opposed to country members, so f this is something you'd be interested in, just PM me :af

Thanks,

Vince.
"Jet flying is strictly on a shoestring"

JimG

I'm not long back from the fly in, an excellent weekends flying with some of the best weather for weeks. Visitors were made very welcome and those of us who stayed overnight had a couple of very enjoyable evenings, even though it did get rather cold outside,
A wide range of different models were flown with at least one plane in the air throughout the event.
Thanks to the organisers for a great event.

Jim
Jim Gill
Dundee Model Aircraft Club

leccyflyer

Just thought I'd post a few snaps from yesterday of an excellent, well run club site. The Control Tower is a specially nice touch.

Thanks again to Angus MFC for the warm welcome and wishing you all the best of success for the future. :af

Jamie Duff

It really does look like a nice club. I'm umming and awwing over whether to use it as my normal flying site, but given the distance I'm not sure how often I could go. It's big, it's flat and there are few if any obstacles.

It looked to be a very nice day you visited on Brian  :af
I need a new witty signature...

JimG

Here's a video from Saturday, the test flight of a Boomerang Intro powered by a Jetcat P70. The pilot is Paul McKay from the Buchan club.

Jim
Jim Gill
Dundee Model Aircraft Club