RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

April 09, 2020, 01:09:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Leccy Lanc X

Started by Wiz, February 26, 2004, 12:29:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

Hi Dipsy....wondered when u would come and say hi.   ;D  I think the best place to buy your stuff would be Galaxy models in Ipswich.  As I'm in the Highlands, they were quick and knew exactly what I was after (even the gearbox I needed recently was sent in 2 days!).  They're at www.galaxymodels.co.uk

DIPSY

Cheers Gordon,
I've used them before and I agree they are very good, got my stuff next day.

I don't mean to be thick (quiet in the cheap seats) but why did I see a pic of someone running in a motor in water ?

Dek

Aaaaaaarrrrggghhhhh!

Bad news and good news.

The bad news is that it's the big 60 for me today, (thanks for the cake Wiz). The good news is that SHMBO has ordered a very nice digital camera for me which should arrive early next week, so finally a few pics of my Lanc.

Derek

Dek

Hey,
She was holding out on me. The camera arrived about an hour after the previous message!
Now how do I reduce the picture size to below 50Kb? I'm sure this has been thoroughly described on this thread at least a couple of times before so I just need to start hunting.

Derek

keithatrochdale

Try using the SEARCH button................  ;D

keith  8)

Dek

Dek

Thanks Keith.

"Offley" in case you wondered is the location of our club field.

Derek

Tree_Magnet

Happy bday Dek
nice looking lanc. hey 5 years to retire and full time flying?

Tom

Gordon

March 04, 2004, 13:20:03 pm #48 Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 13:20:59 pm by Gordon
Dek...happy birthday...as TM said only 5 years to full time flying.  That lanc looks GOOD, VERY GOOD.  I love the nose art...how did u do it?

Dek

Hi Gordon

I used CorelDraw to produce letters with a border and then printed it onto Jetcal Paper to create the transfers. Worked beautifully once I started printing on the right side of the paper!

Derek

CraigO

Hippo Birdy 2 Ewes Dek.

Lovely looking lanc.  

that reminds me i havent spent my Xmas money yet.  perhaps that is the source of a little digital for me.

Sob, moan,  No building last night!!!

I just found out that there are 2 more lancs being built in SA.  both the full wood.   :o :o  so to speak.  not foamies like humble little me.  So i can get some squadron formation time in.  I will check on their progress and see if I cant get the 3 together  ;D

cheers

Craig

Dek

Thanks for the B'day greetings guys.

The Lanc was dutifully admired by all the partygoers last night, we nearly set fire to the house with 60 candles on the cake, the hangover is coming along nicely, and now - back to the shed where I belong!

Derek

Arel

March 05, 2004, 08:34:57 am #52 Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 08:42:38 am by Arel
Ahhhhh....

It's like I never left...Craig's on the turps :) and Gordon has progressed ever so much :)love and kisses all round XOXOXO etc ;D

What ever happened to those bad old days of slagging off certain kilt wearers for making mistakes with the colouring of their 303 barrels? ;D ;D

I actually made a little progress with my Lanc last week. I made up all my motor mounts to allow the motors/gearboxes to fit correctly (I hope) and my UC mounts (Mk4) are ready.

MHR Dek...The Lanc looks great.

Rich

Gordon

March 05, 2004, 12:50:08 pm #53 Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 23:57:00 pm by Gordon
Who's this guy Arel then?  New boy?  ;D ;D ;D;D

As the wing sheeting is crawling forward I thought I'd better get the Litspan and BalsaLoc out to practise on, so the ailerons will get covered first in a day or so.

BD, just been looking at 3000MAh packs and as your circuit needs 14.4volts, Overlander do them for £54.95 and weigh in at 683 grammes...ouch!  :o  Did u say yours was 3300MAh?  Overlander don't seem to do that size and Inwoods do a 3300MAh but only as a 12 volt pack!  ???  

Dek...is your smashing looking model painted or covered and painted?

PS...just did a quick calculation.  With a huge 3000MAh battery fitted, my lanc will weight very close to 2.96Kg, or 6 1/2 Lbs in old money!  Overweight?  Nope, just close to BDs weight methinks?  Where is NPJ now....p%$£d off to the DAK thread before I collar him for saying my lanc was overweight!  ;D

Dek

Quote from: Gordon on March 05, 2004, 12:50:08 pm

Dek...is your smashing looking model painted or covered and painted?

It's covered with tissue, sealed with dope and painted in the old traditional method.

Derek

Arel

Dek,

I see you've got three bladed props...What are the specs of your motor/gbox/props?

Gordon,

Not new, just busy. Can you imagine the gall of my company...they give me a nice pay rise and a big bonus...so far so good...But, and this is the kicker, they expect me to work at least 6 hours a day...that's even more than a teacher does ;D. The boss actually rings EVERY MORNING at 8.30 to see what I'm up to...Back in the good old days I'd just be getting up :)

Cheers

Rich

Gordon

March 06, 2004, 14:09:23 pm #56 Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 20:14:06 pm by Gordon
Arel, I teach 6x55 minute periods on a bad day  ;)  So that's 5.5 hours actually!  ;D I only have one bad day each week!  8)

Yeah, Dek, like the props..are they useable or for display?

Top sheeting now done, began gluing it this afternoon...so u see Arel I can progress my lanc!  ;D

Dek

Quote from: Arel on March 06, 2004, 08:25:48 am

I see you've got three bladed props...What are the specs of your motor/gbox/props?

The motors are 7.2v speed 400s driving Aeronaut 2.64 : 1 gearboxes and 8 by 6 props (2 bladed). Initial flights will be tried with a single 8 cell battery as per the original Nihuis spec. but I've built space in the bomb bay for a second battery and ESC so I can have separate supplies for inboard and outboard motors.
The three bladed props are really for display but are also 8 by 6 so I will give them a try to see what sort of thrust they give.

Derek

Dek

The crew are looking a bit haggard but are ready to go!

Derek

Gordon

March 07, 2004, 17:41:38 pm #59 Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 17:44:10 pm by Gordon
Dek...for Gawd sakes don't show the colour of your aircrew boots to Arel.   ;D ;D ;D  Looking good ma man!  

Got my upper sheeting trailing edges glued yesterday...slow but getting there.  

Dipsy.....thanks again for the Lancaster ISBN....will chase that up very soon, since I need some good colour prints to fiddle with for the 'Spirit of Russia's' decals.

I've a couple of 6 cell 2400MAh packs I'll use, but need a duration check or three to see how they will do.  Still looking at a 14.4V pack when I can cough up the cash.

DIPSY

Gordon,
You might as well post the details I sent you of the Lancaster book.
I'm sure some of the other guys would be interested.

Dipsy

Dek

Barry of 'Mainly Models', which is my local shop in Hitchin has just finished his prototype all foam 10ft Lanc. He's taking orders for the kit now and fool that I am,  I'm tempted!

Derek

Gordon

March 07, 2004, 20:34:25 pm #62 Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 22:26:12 pm by Gordon
Quotefool that I am,  I'm tempted!
.   I'm sure it is Dek, but only u know where u stand regarding this hobby.  Are u more inclined to fly them or build them?  If it's the former...buy the foamie!

PS...this model has also cost me a b^%$£dy fortune...that might be another reason...intelligence!  ;D
As dipsy mentioned, here's his recommended book for the discerning Lanc freak: THE AVRO LANCASTER' 'A COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE FOR THE MODELLER' by Richard A. Franks ISBN 0-9533465-3-6.

Here is my patented wing sheeting method.  NB.....to get a good glue grab, u must use BEEF sausages otherwise any vegan or vegetarian crud just WON'T do.

And for Gawd's sake get the stuff back in the freezer before SHMBO gets home  ;)

PPS....second modification...change the frozen food for orange juice cartons...much more direct pressure and they don't defrost...SHMBO happy...the world is happy!  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gordon

Hi Guys..busy time but not on the lanc....radiator leaked into the hallway carpet, so carpet, radiator and underlay trashed and removed this evening.  Managed to glue another sheet onto the top of the wing, so only 2 to do then some fun and games sanding it down  ;)

Dipsy...priced that lanc book on Amazon...£14.99 + £1.99 (for a hard to get fee?) +P&P.

DIPSY

Have you managed to view the pics I sent ?  Amazon just sent me a note saying the book I ordered about Barnes Wallace's bombs has had its release delayed....bugger !!

Gordon

Hi dipsy...just couldn't download those pics and boy u spent some time sending them...really p%$£d off about that.  Tempted to just buy the book on your recommendation though !

DIPSY

I'll change their format and send them again.

Gordon

Thanks really, but if they were JPEG format they should have downloaded ok...my money is with MSN being a dodgy website for E-mails!

DIPSY

I've sent 1 pic saved as a JPEG in Paint. Try and open it in the same.

Gordon

March 09, 2004, 00:10:43 am #69 Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 00:30:28 am by Gordon
Ok, I'll give it a try now...downloaded fine thanks!  ;)

DIPSY

Just got the e-mail spat back at me.

Gordon

If it's over 3Mb MSN won't like it  :o

DIPSY

say's your mail box was full, first e-mail was 2mb second was much smaller, both failed to deliver.

Gordon

Fair cop, I'll go and make some space..back in a mo!

DIPSY

On the waaaaaayyyyyyyyy !! ;D ;D

Gordon

Gordon

March 09, 2004, 21:37:53 pm #76 Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 22:56:57 pm by Gordon
Quiet here lately?  Work on the top sheeting is complete, just to plane, fill and sand down now.  Began putting on the Litespan covering on the ailerons this lunchtime...it seems to go on really well, if needing balsaloc sponged onto both surfaces and left for 15-30 minutes...fiddly but it seems a good product.  As the instructions say, it's a replacement for tissue and dope and if we were making a B17, the green would be perfect for early 'mighty 8th' camouflage.  ;D  It takes Humbrol paints, so no problems with our cammo.    

CraigO

Hi Gordon

any chance of some more pics.

I havent even flown mine for a while and i am getting itchy fingers.

Spent the last 3 nights tring to work out and build the flaps and ailerons for the left wing of the new mossie.  gee this think is complex!!  finally last night i managed to get the flaps assembled and attached,  now i wish i hadnt cos i still have to cover them and i cant getem off any more. >:(

anyway a lot of serious thought has gone into it.  I dont think i will post any more pics of my lanc here cos  you guys are building far more impressive versions than mine.  I wish i had put a crew in mine it adds so much!

cheers all

Craig

Gordon

March 10, 2004, 09:21:27 am #78 Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 15:54:26 pm by Gordon
Hi Craig,  
Quote[I dont think i will post any more pics of my lanc here cos  you guys are building far more impressive versions than mine.  I wish i had put a crew in mine it adds so much!

but yours has flown mate......... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'll try and get the aileron covered and put a pic on much later today.  I did the same as u Craig on the lanc's elevators, but remembered to keep the ailerons off before covering  :D

PPS...one aileron finished this afternoon...I'll send a pic tonight.  Some useful pointers if using litespan:

1.  Make sure u use a new scalpel when cutting it..especially trimming it.

2.  It's very forgiving of mistakes.  If, like me, u find u have started off the sheet in the wrong area, just pull it off and it will stick again no problem.

3.  It melts slowly at 3-cornered edges to give a nice finish.

4.  It hardly shrinks...makes it so easy to use.

5.  15-30 minutes needed for the glue to dry before fitting.  Can be left much, much longer before u bring the surfaces together (2 hours in one case I found).

6.  Paint round any horns etc before putting on the balsaloc.  That way, if your cutting isn't 100% the bare balsa won't show through.

7.  To make a sharp edge between colours, just heat along the join and then remove the excess using the scalpel pushed AWAY from u..it cuts better that way I found.

Gordon (aka former Litespan Virgin).

Gordon

March 10, 2004, 20:55:33 pm #79 Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 00:29:07 am by Gordon
Here's the pic.  And before u start Arel...yes, the horn will be painted matt black!  ;D

The line between the black and mottled green litespan can just be seen here.  Coloured Litespan weighs 1 once/ft sq.

[attachment deleted by admin]