November 20, 2019, 19:57:29 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 20, 2019, 19:57:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Jetlegend L39 build

Started by STORM, September 03, 2010, 21:49:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

martin lees

How much did they sting you for ?
was you tracked down by the car hire company.
Have you told them your a poor pensioner.

Rgds   Martin.

STORM

15 WHOLE EURO'S!

8 clicks over the 70k limit!

Can't afford to go there again!

STORM

Taxi video as promised, sorry about the quality, for some reason the camera did not autofocus.
At the end you can see the turbine hatch being sucked in on full throttle, I assume ram air effect will stop this when she is flying!

http://www.youtube.com/user/GAZZERPOPE#p/u/0/dXlbIHT04sg

xairflyer

Might be worth glassing it in the inside, just to maybe prevent it from cracking the paint work

The Saint. (Owen)

That engine is sucking a lot of air in, I would consider trying to somehow widening the intakes or maybe adding a few cheat holes to allow the engine to breathe better, I'm not convinced that the ram effect will make any conceivable difference because the air is being sucked in faster than the aeroplane will be going forward.  ???
Electrickery is the work of the devil.
Proper aeroplanes are powered by engines.

Vinceyboy

Hi Gary, well done mate, she looks a cracker, and I love the colour scheme choice.

I remember when my mate Henry was building his Ultra Bandit with a 180 in it, Ali told him to vent it as there had been instances of the of the canopy's being sucked in and broken, so maybe have a word with him.

I must say that viewing all these build threads has got me back in the saddle again, I need to get the Intro refurb finished as I've got four Avonds F15's to sort :af
no wonder I don't get time to go flying ;D
"Jet flying is strictly on a shoestring"

STORM

Thanks Vince, it is some jet and engine I can tell you.

Can't wait to get her in the air.

A lot of money but a lot of fun too!

Regards,

Gary.

Alex48

Hi Gary, I'd reinforce the hatch with a few light ply formers.  Your not going to use full thrust much my slightly smaller L39 isvway over powered with a 120 in it! 
The Little Jet Company
www.facebook.com/TheLittleJetCompany

STORM

Yes I'll do that Alex.

It may not make much difference but I have now made all the naca ducts and reverse intakes functional, one of them happens to be in the hatch.

I'm not using the bypass, I would think using that would make the situation even worse.

Not too worried about it, full bore is putting out a lot of push, probably only use for t/off (and show off :)) and verticals.

I suppose I could always reverse the speed brakes and use them as shovels.  ;)

pylon²

October 25, 2010, 18:41:34 pm #209 Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 18:47:47 pm by pylon
Quote from: STORM on October 24, 2010, 22:47:15 pm

p.s. Can't wait to fly formation with Richard S! And you of course if you get your finger out!  ;D

Looking good Gary, I look forward to flying in formation with you. :af Still got lots to do on F5.

NEVER noticed my hatch sucking in on on mine with the wren 160 $%&  Hope you have not got more power !!LOL

Richard.

STORM

Richard, the problem is----- More push=more fuel!  :co

You've got plenty of time with the F5, the weather's gonna be crap this winter for flying, and I've got nothing to build anymore!

Gary.

pylon²

Picked up my Wren 160 for the F5 last week :P  My aim is to debut it at the Xmas fly-in :xx
Richard.

Alex48

Start building other peoples models then Gary  ;) it funds my jet addiction and keeps my wife happy as she gets to see a cheque once and a while going in the right direction  :)
The Little Jet Company
www.facebook.com/TheLittleJetCompany

STORM

I'd love to Alex but not sure  I'm good enough at it.
Just retired so I have the time now and not much income!

STORM

Been trawling the net for weeks and finally found a pic of the f/s my model was based on.

This must have been the very airframe that Jet Legend got the scheme from, it's exactly the same.

STORM

Found one for you also Richard!

HarryC

Quote from: STORM on October 28, 2010, 17:02:18 pm
Been trawling the net for weeks and finally found a pic of the f/s my model was based on.

This must have been the very airframe that Jet Legend got the scheme from, it's exactly the same.

Just like to mention, totally gratuitously, I have flown both those full size!

STORM

Do you mean two 39's or one and the P51 Harry, either way you're a lucky man!

selleri

Quote from: Mpx on October 28, 2010, 18:13:31 pm
Just like to mention, totally gratuitously, I have flown both those full size!

Blast from the past > http://video.frettavefur.net/mpx/   :af
Sverrir  - Icelandic Volcano Yeti - RCMF Tech Team

HarryC

Quote from: STORM on October 28, 2010, 20:24:24 pm
Do you mean two 39's or one and the P51 Harry, either way you're a lucky man!

P-51 (twice) and L-39
[smg id=25504]
[smg id=25503]

I have an MS Word file describing what the L-39 was like to fly, as an article I did for my full-size flying club's newsletter.  I can send it to you if you want, let me have your email

STORM

Are they owned by Dan Schiffer in the States Harry?
How great for you, best I've done is J5 and Jodel 117!
I would love to read it, Scancom@AOL.com.
Many thanks.

HarryC

Quote from: STORM on October 28, 2010, 21:58:01 pm
Are they owned by Dan Schiffer in the States Harry?

The P-51 is at Stallion 51 in Kissimmee, I have flown both Crazy Horse and Crazy Horse 2.  http://www.stallion51.com/
The L-39 was at "Tropical Fighters" at Marathon Airport in the Florida Keys, I don't think they are in business any more.

STORM

HarryC

JohnMac

Quote from: STORM on October 24, 2010, 23:20:13 pm
15 WHOLE EURO'S!

8 clicks over the 70k limit!

Can't afford to go there again!

Jeez Gary,
The one place in the world that has first class roads and no speed limits, and you get pulled. Hopefully you won't get any points. I did a similar thing a few years ago and got an 80 euro fine, but I was much more bothered about the points. I have seen what points within 5 years *(yes 5) does to your insurance premium.
See ya,
John

STORM

Hiya John, long time no see.
Don't think there are any points involved, hope not anyway!
Got a nice photo from them though!
Gary.

martin lees

That must have been some mug shot.

Rgds    Martin.

STORM

Yeah it was mate, real serious look, obviously lost looking for the car park!

martin lees

Hi Gary, did you add a brace to the former above the turbine ?

Rgds    Martin.

STORM

Hi Martin,
Not yet mate, guess I ought to consider it although the new wing carbon spars are much stronger than the originals.
I'll have a look at it, not flown yet, wind direction all wrong!
Are you far off now?
Gary.

martin lees

Just finished off new servo tray, elevator linkage redone with metal servo arm
  & ball links,
  Getting there but very slow, like you i spend more time working things out
  rather than doing it.

Rgds    Martin.

STORM

Knocked up a brace today Martin, better safe than sorry! Thanks for reminding me.
Wonder what else I've forgotten. ;D
Really looking forward to flying her.
How's  the family?

pylon²

martin lees

Hi Gary, family all ok thanks.
ive been working today on my harpoon2 , nearly sorted now.
Also checked out the rudder servo & linkage all seemed ok.
Any chance of you posting a picture of the brace you made, i can then be lazy & copy it.
cheers.

Rgds    Martin.

STORM

Ok you lazy toerag, here's a couple of pics for you, bit of scrap 18X5mm wood I had lying around, I used a couple of 3mm captives to make life easier when/if removing the brace,
Gary.

pylon²

I don't have that in mine Gary :'' You have me worried now LOL
Richard.

martin lees

You have such a lovely way with words. ; ;) ;)
    I thought you was going to come up with a nice technical  design, did not
  realise you dug it out from your scrap box,even i could do that.
   But still if it does the job.

Richard.     when  out at jet power we were talking to global jets about the
                      modifications they do, probably not needed, there will be loads of
                      L39 flying with no problems, but for a few minutes work & a bit of
                      ply it will not harm & peace of mind.

Rgds    Martin.

Forgot to mention thanks Gary.

STORM

Despite my retract and brake valves refusing to operate today I opted to maiden as we do not get many "perfect" flyng windows lately.
With no gear up and no brakes I apprehensively took off at N Luffenham for a hairy but successful flight, not the best landing I've  done but she was up & down ok.
For some unknown reason I had failed to dial in any expo! Not recommended.
Anyway, happy bunny now, some vid to follow tomorrow.
Gary.

stobe777

***APPLAUSE*** :af :af

I just flew in darkness, but the model was my Multiplex Twinstar with some cool LED strips from Hobbyking...

Tuomas

selleri

Sverrir  - Icelandic Volcano Yeti - RCMF Tech Team