money
RSS Facebook

RCMF

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 12:33:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: E-Hawk 1400  (Read 1163 times)

Offline pike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • RCMF Flight Lieutenant
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
E-Hawk 1400
« on: November 27, 2010, 12:56:36 PM »
After a lay off of about 5 years im going to start flying again, a walk up Ivinghoe Beacon with the kids
a few weeks ago has reignited my interest ;D.

I bought a TT E-Hawk 1400 a long time ago which I have just started putting together, can anybody
tell me whether it would be worth putting two servos in the wings and also on the tail or is it best to
just keep it simple with the stock 2 servo set up? I'm probably just going to use it a a pure glider rather
than an electric model.

Offline enginetorque

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
Re: E-Hawk 1400
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 13:16:07 PM »
One servo for elevator and a mini in each wing panel for ailerons would be my recommend  :af

Offline chrispy

• RCMF Flight Lieutenant
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 13:42:37 PM »
You will need a servo each for rudder and elevator and I suggest one in each wing.

I build mine this way a couple of years ago and am very pleased with it.

Suggest you read the build thread at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780835.

Cheers,
Chris.

Offline shortcircuit

• RCMF Wing Commander
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 13:56:05 PM »
I had a 1400 and it was a disaster to me and I eventually wrote it off.  I got a 1500 recently and it was heading to the same bin until I eventually sorted myself out and the model.  Cant remember if it was possible in the 1400, but I have 4 servos in the centre section and all work well although a bit of a squeeze,  not sure what the benefits of the servo for each aileron are but I may program flaps to try and slow my landings down.

I have found it to be more of a sports model rather than a glider as it fairly scuds about the sky and you need to be in control all the time.

Use a field opposite my house and am just in from a calm saunter with my Nebula glider.  Virtually no wind and crystal clear although a bit cold.

EDIT
I have got to retract a lot of what I have said.  Decided that as it was so nice out I would give the Hawk a try.  In addition I have just received the Orange 6Ch Rx from Hobby City and this would be a opportunity to try flaps.  Changed Rx and programmed in flaps, did a good range test and all OK  Up she went and I am so delighted in the way she flew and glided.  Gave myself plenty of hight and tried flaps and to be honest I did not notice any difference.  Unless there are other benefits for servos in each wing I do not see the extra effort worth while, although I will try different flap settings.

With respect to the Orange Rx, this has been a big plus as I flew my normal flight pattern with full control all the time.  I have also go the satellite receiver and will fit just to provide additional piece of mind, but I am impressed.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 15:16:38 PM by shortcircuit »

Offline pike

• RCMF Flight Lieutenant
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 10:29:46 AM »
Thanks for your help chaps, going to have a look at the model now to see how everything will fit.

Offline feefo

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 20
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 10:57:21 AM »
I had the 1500, and also found that spoilerons weren't that effective. The problem I had was that I just couldn't get enough up aileron. Maybe servo's in the wing would have helped but mine got elevator flutter in a dive which resulted in a very broken model. I would always opt for 2 servo's for the wing, it makes setting it up a bit easier IMO.
Ok, this isn't funny, who's moved my sense of humour?

Offline bugsb

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • I'm a nutter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 11:00:35 AM »
i have kept mine as is x2 servos elevator /ailerons it came to me with a 380 size motor brushless with a planetary gearbox 30min plus flight time with a 3cell 2200mah li-po
as has been said more a sports model and it goes like a rocket i have taken it to the slope 4-5 times and had fun with it
Ron
Any spellng mistak is don with full intend to amuse the reder, so if you find one you can have it fo

Offline compact

• RCMF Air Commodore
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 11:02:33 AM »
Did that happen at elkstone Dave, if its the one Im thinking of just after launch it wasnt elevator flutter it was to much movement and not enough speed mate.

Scott r

Offline muchalucha

• Certified slope hooligan
  • RCMF Wing Commander
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 12:50:15 PM »
I had a 1500, which if i understand correctly has the same aileron setup. Even though spoilerons aren't that effective still mod it for a servo in each wing as this model needs the differential and theres too much slop in the supplied setup. Personally i ended up making a nose cone from blue foam, fiberglassing the whole fuz (properly this time) and glassing the wings. I'm not sure if the 1400 has the same wing joiner but I strongly suggest you replace it with a thicker carbon rod if its anything like the 1500.

Good luck and i hope you have more success than I did  ;D.

Offline feefo

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 20
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 15:17:08 PM »
Did that happen at elkstone Dave, if its the one Im thinking of just after launch it wasnt elevator flutter it was to much movement and not enough speed mate.

Scott r

Yeah it happened at Elkstone. Think you might have the 'incident' confused tho, it wasn't after a launch. I put it in to a dive to avoid another plane and it wouldn't pull out. You could hear the flutter up to the moment it hit the ground. I think the prob with the 1500 is the control rods are un-supported piano wire, they would just bow in the boom. This was the result.....

BTW Scott, I'm disappointed to have missed the maiden of the Vampire....
Ok, this isn't funny, who's moved my sense of humour?

Offline ADE

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 19:04:54 PM »
I've had both models. the 1400 ran with two Hi-tec HS45's on the tail for rudder/elevator & HS56 on ailerons. 1400 rudder wasnt that good & needed full whack just to move the tail around s-l-o-w-y. I only ran a 80W motor in the front of it & the motor offset was miles out, always needed to use elevator to sort the climb out.
The 1500 ran two HS56's on the tail R/E & a HS65MG for airlerons, again the rudder was more of an afterthought, much faster craft though. I put a small Hyperion Z2213 motor up front with a Hyperion 20A ESC, areonaught folding prop &  10x6 carbon Graupner blades-150W/18A was enough for vertical performance on 3S 1000Mah CoG was at 55mm from LE well back (after adding approx 4gms to the tail) of the TT recommend 50mm-but flys much better, inverted req'ing only minimal input.
This glider will thermal in a sparrows fart & I've had mine to over 1700ft on a good day (Eagletree data logger) Flys well on the slopes in gentle winds, but lacks penetration once winds get upto around 20mph.
I'd say this model was a good learner, the motor means you can get it high & then start hunting thermals out, easy to fly & if you get into bother you can always use power to get you home.
BTW the motor setup above gives a good 4mins power & at least 20mins of flight even if you fly it like a complete git.
Supplied rod wing joiners snapped like twigs after a merely bumpy landing (I wasnt flying it at the time) replaced with solid carbon rod & much better after this.
The only problem I had with it was aileron flutter during high speed dives, although my friends almost identical model never suffered this problem.
Landings are easy, just come in at a shallow angle at low speed, I never had a bad landing with it. So no need for any trickery with ailerons spoiling to get it in.

RCMF Team

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 12:33:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
TinyPortal © 2005-2012
Page created in 0.409 seconds with 44 queries.