RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

July 07, 2020, 12:26:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Silver Solartex and 2.4

Started by RobC, May 06, 2011, 19:19:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RobC

Here's the problem, I've just done a range check on my silver tex covered Gladiator in the garden.  The radio is my usual FrSky D8 setup with 2000 sub-C receiver pack.  Usually I have no problem getting 30 paces in range check mode without getting low signal warnings through the telemetry but this time I had to keep the tx aerial oriented correctly to get 20 paces, definitely less than I expected.  No signs of loss of control or glitching, just the low signal warning.
So the question is, is it:
a) the proximity of all the wifis in a built up area
b) the rigging wires
c) the metal in the tex? 

I've seen articles suggesting using silver tex as a base for a painted scheme, so if c) were a factor I would have expected Google to find something somewhere, as it didn't I suspect b) as a likely culprit. 

Has anyone come up with clever ways of getting 2.4 aerials clear of a cluttered bipe?  Short of having extended aerials poking through a couple of clear plastic tubes, one out of the bottom wing and one through the cockpit, I can't come up with a tidy way of exposing the aerials.

I new I should have gone for a camo scheme, that would have eliminated one variable at least.
flying's easy - it's getting it back down in one piece that's the hard part

Leszek_K

C is a correct answer.
Had the same situation recently, same covering, same effect. Pulling antennas outside cured it.

itsme

Quote from: Leszek_K on May 07, 2011, 05:07:02 am
C is a correct answer.
Had the same situation recently, same covering, same effect. Pulling antennas outside cured it.
hmm- is there a way of extending aerials? $%&

Yoyo

Quote from: bobt on May 07, 2011, 07:08:25 am
hmm- is there a way of extending aerials? $%&

I think all the D8Rs have aerials on u.FL connectors so replacement is easy - but don't they come with two longish aerials anyway?

Only the last 35mm or so (the stripped bit) is actually the aerial.

How big is the plane if the standard aerials won't reach the outside?
Doing what you like is Freedom
Liking what you do is Happiness

Cornish Pixie

The big fish dose longer aerials for the RXs .

Si
The Dawn Patrol UK

RobC

Thanks for confirming what I thought least likely!  It's a CAP Glad, and with the existing aerials I can get one aerial out through the bottom wing, but then the other won't reach through the top of the fuselage - it's a BFF, the Gladiator. GC do indeed list extended aerials, but the only ones in stock are 15cm against the 13cm units already fitted so I've ordered a 30cm HPI extended aerial from Wheelspin models.  I'll check the length of the exposed portion but I don't expect it to be any different to the FrSky units - if it is, I have snips to fix it!
I've put a clear snake outer through the bottom wing, and another up into the top of the cockpit, that should get both aerials out in the open without being to obvious, it just means threading the lower aerial out when fitting the bottom wing.

Mole Hunter

But if you had one out of the bottom wing and one out of the top of the fus they would both be in line with each other wouldn't they?

The antenna are supposed to be at 90° to each other on 2.4gHz.
Formerly known as BB-Q

RobC

In theory, yes, but from what I've seen the 90 degrees is a simplification and anyway only the active ends need be in different planes, in that you want them in set up so they can't both be in line with the tx at the same time.  More importantly IMHO they should be free from masking or reflective effects of dense or metallic objects.  Hence one should always see a reasonable signal.  As the model is rarely at 90 degrees to the transmitter I don't see how the exact angle matters except possibly where you are looking for absolute maximum range - my eyes ain't that good!  Anything from 45 to 135 degrees seems to work ok from past experience.
What happens when a receiver only has one aerial?   Surely that should lose signal 50% of the time if it were that critical?

Anyway, by the time the aerials get to the ends of the curly left over bits of snake I'm using, they will be far from in-line :ev .

dauntless

Rob,
I'm facing the same issue. Did your solution work OK in the air? I have been wondering how far the ariel "tips" need to extend beyond the fuselage to escape the "masking" effect of all the silver solartex on a biplane fus and wings. Just beyond the covering?  5cm beyond? 10 cm?

David

RobC

David, due to various circumstances I still haven't flown the Gladiator, but ground checks show a great improvement.  I've got one aerial passing up through the cockpit floor to the top of the canopy, and the other exiting through the lower wing in a clear tube swept back at 45 degrees so it's about 5cm outside the covering.  This seems to give me clear site of one aerial regardless  of orientation.

dauntless

Any news on the model in flight? Did the external aerial solve the problem?

RobC

Yes, it cured the range problem.  What it didn't cure was the model being overweight and underpowered with the handling qualities of a camel.  Turbulence from trees cured that.

dauntless

Rob,
Thanks for the info. Very sorry to have re-opened the subject given the final outcome though!
David

RobC

no problem, it was just the challenge of getting a second-hand badly built basket case in the air that kept me at it instead of binning the thing.  It was actually a relief when it went in.