RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

July 07, 2020, 13:20:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Varios for 2.4 Telemetetry

Started by Rob Thomson, August 22, 2011, 16:27:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Thomson

I thought you all might be interested in a very simple vario that works a treat!

http://www.wingedshadow.com/thermalscout.html

The thermal scout has just been updated to support telemetry.  Even better, it also supports frsky telemetery via the A1/A2 channels!

What this means is that for a not too high cost, and a very small size you get a vario with audio feedback on your tx!

Now... me being an frsky/er9x/glider nut...  I am a happy man!

Rob

Yoyo

Quote from: rob.thomson on August 22, 2011, 16:27:31 pm
I thought you all might be interested in a very simple vario that works a treat!

http://www.wingedshadow.com/thermalscout.html

The thermal scout has just been updated to support telemetry.  Even better, it also supports frsky telemetery via the A1/A2 channels!

What this means is that for a not too high cost, and a very small size you get a vario with audio feedback on your tx!

Now... me being an frsky/er9x/glider nut...  I am a happy man!

Nice. I see they do an altimeter version too. Pity there isn't one that does both - although I guess with the er9x upcoming mods a recording altimeter and vario won't be that difficult...
Doing what you like is Freedom
Liking what you do is Happiness

fr800driver

i like the idea of audio, but not a thrashing about rudder.

what does the frsky filter do? (on the same webpage)

gliderpilot01

I definately don't like the idea of rocking wings and waggling rudder - particularly on an aerotow - can it be switched off for the duration of the tow ?
AlexXXL,MicroFloh,Seagull Ka8B,Copycat,Svist,Blizzard,EGPro,Wildthing, VeronVortex,MiddlePhase,MPXMerlin,Rainbow,Greenley,GWS Spitfire,HZSuperCub,FlairFW190,TravelAir,SuperAir,PZ P51D,RCF Yak55,Mentor

Phil_G

The manual on the Wingedshadow website is well worth reading, both these questions are answered there.
Yes you can switch it using a spare channel.
The filter is there to convert the pulse-width modulated output signal into a DC voltage suitable for feeding a Frsky telemetry channel.  RTFM  :af
Cheers
Phil

fr800driver

sounds a bit like a Converter, NOT a filter!  :study:

fr800driver

Seriously, this seems a good bit of kit.
Have you bought one Rob? If so,I look forward to your thoughts. I have a Flamingo sat waiting in a box that needs finishing. I think this would be ideal.

Phil_G

Quote from: fr800driver on August 25, 2011, 10:48:48 am
sounds a bit like a Converter, NOT a filter!  :study:

Its a simple passive R-C filter, again, detailed in the manual online which as I said, is well worth reading.
Cheers
Phil

[attachimg=1]

fr800driver

I have RTFM.

My brain just keeps filtering/ demodulating the info!
It's a long time since I learnt about carrier wave , FM, AM, diurnal effect of the ionosphere on HF, VHF skip etc..
Have you bought one Phil?
I will have a longer look at their website. I wonder how accurate they are. I haven't looked at varios before.

I also, have not got too involved with my FrSky module yet. Talking of which, not the best Manual ever written. the bind instructions are flawed and it does not tell you which DIP switches you need selected for non telem rx. iirc.

Phil_G

August 25, 2011, 15:25:19 pm #9 Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 16:08:24 pm by Phil_G
Quote from: fr800driver on August 25, 2011, 13:53:10 pm
I have RTFM.
;)
Quote from: fr800driver
Have you bought one Phil?
no, I've just looked at the info on the site, but I am quite interested, it looks good
I wonder how accurate they are.
The suggested Frsky setup simply beeps when the analogue input from the vario exceeds an 'alarm' limit. So the resolution is basically 'climbing' or 'not', and with the suggested setup the accuracy is set by guestimating the alarm setting a fraction of a volt above the quiescent vario output voltage.
I also, have not got too involved with my FrSky module yet. Talking of which, not the best Manual ever written. the bind instructions are flawed
They have a typo regarding the green led but its a fairly painless process nontheless
and it does not tell you which DIP switches you need selected for non telem rx. iirc.

Its on the opening page of the dipswitch manual, section 1.1 ,
[attach=1]

and also in the two-way manual in section 6.1.1.4 $%&

[attach=2]
Cheers
Phil

fr800driver

Apologies, I do have the dip switch settings, they are on the manual for telem module.

Phil_G

My apologies too, its been pointed out to me that my RTFM replies were a bit crotchety rather than helpful, sorry!   :af
Phil

Rob Thomson

I have 2 of them.  They are superb!

If you are interested in electronics...  A product called Halcyon does what winged shadow does...  And more!  Check the 9xforums site for details on this project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk