RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

July 07, 2020, 12:50:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Orange receiver range tests (yes i know it's been done on Utube) :-)

Started by dogshome, July 15, 2012, 20:37:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dogshome

My Megawot had a bit of a glitch / lockout after some weeks running an Orange DSM2 rx. It had been 'fine' and suddenly deteriorated. I decided to do some tests. This plane was on a 9ch, all the others I have are on 6channel or Spekky DSMX original and no problems noticed.

9ch Orange 1 (that caused the problem). About 10M range on low power and sensitive to polarisation of the tx aerial.
9ch Orange 2. Just 30M range and also very sensitive to aerial orientation (vertical or horizontal).
9ch Orange 1 with (PC style) aerial chopped off and simple 31mm wire one in it's place. About 30M and very sensitive to orientation. As good as a normal 9ch.
6ch Orange 1 with no satellite. 40+M range and very insensitive to aerial orientation.
6ch Orange 2 with satellite. 40+M range and very insensitive to aerial orientation.
8ch AR8000 with satellite 1. 35+M range and insensitive.
9ch Orange 1 or 2 with satellite. 30M and insensitive. But the Megawot wasn't completely happy in flight on no2 with occasional little freezes after watching carefully. She is fine on an AR8000.

What does this tell me?
The first 9ch orange had some aerial trouble but generally, the 9ch is not great. Shan't buy any more. In an electric glider no probs noticed. I'll range test this one at some point - since I may have two poor 9chs.
Orange 6ch are fine (and still £6 each) (and no probs with petrol engines).
Spekky AR8000 is fine.

P.S. have 12 6ch and 4 9ch plus about 5 Spekky. Planes have LIFE or large regulated LIPOs and the Wot has been flown for many years on 35MHz.

肉(ròu)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun

vigne

Interesting post, dogshome. I haven't got such a comprehensive analysis as you have put up but, in a nutshell, I've just found a similar situation.

I fly with a DX8 and a good mix of Spekky and Orange Rx's and have found the Orange 6's to be ultra-reliable, both with and without satellites, with regular full range flights without experiencing any problems.

Some time ago, I bought 2 Orange 9's and recently fitted one, with a satellite, to an HK Salto which I have electrified, using a separate BEC. Range checks were fine to about 30m or so, which I have found to be entirely adequate in the past.

The maiden flight was a bit of a nightmare - flew out straight and true but very rapidly contact became very intermittent, nearly losing it at about 200m out. Managed to coax it round the circuit and regained a degree of control but it eventually found a tree trunk and repairs are just about complete.

My initial thoughts were that the CF tape I'd used to beef up the fus may have blocked the signal path but the Rx and sat were well separated and orientated correctly.

I was planning to refit the Rx's with the aerials outside the fus but this and other posts elsewhere reporting similar problems have made me re-consider whether to use this Rx again before it has been fully tested on the ground and in a hack. I think I'll use the AR8000 instead!

Hairyflier

Interesting, I was thinking of getting a 9 channel Orange receiver for my 40cc petrol Tug, may not be such a good idea. Maybe it needs two satellites. $%&
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. Voltaire

dogshome

You could try (I haven't yet). I don't think it will make any difference. Megawot is a 40c petrol tug...

I'll have a play when I'm back home. The 9 ch seems to work differently to the 6 channel ('work' being a loose description). The 6ch seems very reliable.

Hairyflier

Quote from: dogshome on July 17, 2012, 13:41:38 pm
You could try (I haven't yet). I don't think it will make any difference. Megawot is a 40c petrol tug...

I'll have a play when I'm back home. The 9 ch seems to work differently to the 6 channel ('work' being a loose description). The 6ch seems very reliable.
Thanks for the info, not worth risking for the sake of saving a few bob by the sounds of things.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. Voltaire

bennyh

I had range problems with a look-a-like fake Spektrum 6100 that I bought off eBay. But no problems with the 6ch Orange from a year ago. ANyone tried the orange satellite rxs?

dogshome

Satellite on 6ch no problemo  :af

9ch not so good and satellite does not improve it.

P.S. I just received 4 more 6ch Rxs. I can't have many more models left to convert  :''

Seamus O'Leprosy

Is it only the Spektrum ones that cause concern?
My FASST versions are solid.
Aaay!

dogshome

I only have Spektrum on 2.4, so can't comment on Futaba protocol.

g1dtf

I have used the 6ch orange Rx's (Spektrum) with no probs. The only problems I have had is in a ST Blaze glider (no power) with a satellite plugged in to the orange RX. I have suffered total short term loss of control / glitches on several ocasions. I have tried 2 orange rx's and both an orange and spektrum satellite. I get a good 35M+ on range tests. I had the same loss today and after landing checked the LED for brownout and noticed that the LED remained lit when I turned the TX off and my lost model alarm did not trigger. It seems as though the problem may be related to some problem/incompatabily with my orange RX's and the satellite and have therefor unplugged the satellite to see if  my problems go away.Has anybody else noticed any problems when using a satellite with the Orange 6ch RX's.

Andy.

FlyinBrian

I use an orange 6ch rx with sat in a small electric sports model without issue but I guess I don't fly much more than about 250M away.
Basic Research is what I do - when I don't know what I'm doing!.

g1dtf

I have done further tests by desoldering the antenna wire from the Orange RX and found that although the satelite binds ok and shows a connection, when I lose the connection to the RX I get no control from the sat. The Led stays lit showing it it still connected but dosn't give me any control. I also noticed that the re-connection time of the orange RX is increases from about 1 sec to over 3 secs when the sat is connected. So the conclusion is that the sat actually makes things worse with this RX. I have done less estensive tests on a second orange RX bought around the same time about a year ago and that also shows the same problem. I have another couple of orange receivers that I will test when I get the chance. May also pick up another newer one to see if the problem still persist or was just a problem on my older hopefully earlier models. I have done the tests using both an orange and a Spektrum sat.

Andy.

onewinglow

Have you done the test on a Spectrum Rx and desoldered the antenna(s) from the Rx to see if the Spectrum satalite still gives you control via the satalite when you lose the connection to the Rx?

g1dtf

Not tried it on a Spektrum RX yet as I've not got a spare one lying around and will have to dig one out of a model.

Andy.