RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

July 07, 2020, 14:25:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

One system for beginner to cater for future requirements

Started by clive_fox, December 14, 2012, 20:03:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clive_fox

Am getting back into the hobby after a long absence and trying to decide which system to invest in. Ideally I would like to have only 1 transmitter/system that can accommodate possible future model gliders and aircraft - maybe helis. I know that it will be overkill to get a high end system while in early stages but don't mind spending more now if it can accommodate future requirements. Am currently looking at 8+ channel systems such as  Futaba 8J, 8FG,14SG and JR XG8/11 or possibly the Spectrum DX18, I know it is 18 channel, but am not wedded to any of these. Looked at the Hitec Aurora but do not like the wire at the back.

My main concern is flexibility of mixes that I may need in future models. For example say with a glider to have a start phase, initiated with 1 switch, that has 30° positive flaps, the landing gear extended, tow release engaged, and elevator/flap compensation disabled. When released the next phase, also initiated with 1 switch, may comprise having flaps and landing gear retract, towline released and elevator/flap compensation enabled.

I have downloaded some of the manuals for the above but not clear to me if they can do this - that is have more than 2 channels controlled in this way. I believe that the Multiplex Royal Evo and Profi series can do this but not sure if the ones I am interested in can. Any help or guides that show how to would be greatly appreciated.

DarrellW

If you're prepared to do some work to get what you want then take a look at the 9x route, this will get you as much flexibility as you are ever likely to want; for info look on the 9x forum for more details. I'm in the position now where I want to buy a new transmitter, looking at going down this route because with the plug in modules I can use my existing dsm2/x models and any of the nice bnf models I might take a liking to but then can have frsky / fasst or any of the other modules if I want to change system. The thing is even if I stick to dsm I shall have much more flexibility in programming than all but the most expensive spektrum tx's.
Not everyones cup of tea but worth consideration!
I think.......I think I am........Therefore I am. .....I think!

clive_fox

What is a 9x is it a JR system or Hitec Aurora 9 series or something else.

Can it mix more than 2 channels and dedicate this to a sqitch- which is basically what I am asking. Would appreciate more detailed info rather than personal preference - also do not have existing system so will be all new.

DarrellW

December 15, 2012, 07:22:17 am #3 Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 07:29:39 am by DarrellW
The 9x has been marketed as, Turnigy, Flysky, Eugle and modules for it are made by FRSKY but early next year (we hope) FRSKY are releasing their own better version of it. Without any modification it is ok, but with custom firmware it becomes very good and very flexible, switches are individually assignable, any mixing you like etc etc, but it is more complex to program because of the flexibility; there is loads of info to browse through on the 9x forum and Rob Thompson on this forum is a good contact for any info - he runs the 9x forum.
Hope this helps you to evaluate,
D
I think.......I think I am........Therefore I am. .....I think!

FrankS

Clive, most of the radios you list (possibly not the 8J) would do what you want to do, they'd just go about it in slightly different ways, with the MPX Royal Evo you'd do it by assigning controls to a switch and use that to control them and switch between the flight phases etc on the other radios you could just use some of the mixes to do what you want.

I fly my gliders on my Multiplex Royal Pro, fixed wing on Royal Pro and Spektrum Dx6i and helis on the Dx6i (mainly because they are all E Flite BnF and therefore need a DSM2/DSMX tx). The only question I'd ask is that the glider example you give would use up 8 channels so maybe something with more channels is a better investment.

Even if you don't go Spektrum initially wou might end up with Spektrum Tx just to be able to access the E Flite, Parkzone and Blade BnF models, especially the helis.

clive_fox

Darrel thanks for that but I would feel more comfortable with a "brand" system.

Frank appreciate the comments and if I understand correctly any of the systems, excl Futaba 8J, I am interested in could mix 3+ channels. Also your point about the BNF models may influence my decision but I note that there are cheap receivers that I could get if needed to.

Rob Thomson

A brand system?   What is that?   :-)

I will never use none again.   The 9x does everything and more than you could ever want,  and just for a laugh it opens a doorway into another really interesting hobby.   Electronics :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

FrankS

Quote from: clive_fox on December 15, 2012, 23:17:29 pm

. Also your point about the BNF models may influence my decision but I note that there are cheap receivers that I could get if needed to.

Not really for the micro models which have an all in one board (Rx, servos and ESC) and stablisation system on some, plus the flybarless helis are designed to work with their own Rx's with inbuilt 3 axis gyros etc It's not to say there are other models around that can use other tx's but it's surprising how many fliers i know who've got a second DSM2 tx bought purely for the indoor BnF models.

pheasant_plucker

Quote from: clive_fox on December 15, 2012, 23:17:29 pm

I note that there are cheap receivers that I could get if needed to.

So just to be clear you want a "known brand" but are happy with third party cheap chinky receivers  :co
Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron  :''

Gerry
Senior Administrator

The man serving me in the canteen said "Look, You can see the face of Jesus in the Margarine" The Asian guy next to me replied "I can't believe it's not Budda"

dickw

Quote from: pheasant_plucker on December 19, 2012, 16:02:04 pm
So just to be clear you want a "known brand" but are happy with third party cheap chinky receivers  :co
Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron  :''

Gerry

I don't see a problem with that.
Someone might want a "brand" and its own receivers for expensive models and "cheap chinky receivers" for "cheap chinky models" (but still using the brand Tx).

Getting the electronics right is cheaper than getting the mechanics right.

Dick
Grow old disgracefully

norty303

Hi Clive

I'm in a similar position to you, returning after a good length of time off (20+yrs in my case), and wanting a flexible solution that can grow with me, if and when I decide to really go for it.

I did quite a lot of research and ended up buying the Turnigy 9x solution, with FrSky module and Rx and Open9x firmware.  I was a die hard Futaba fan previously.

Although you may not have heard of FrSky, it seems they are growing very quickly, and have some robust solutions available that appear to be standing up to the tests of time and use, especially the newer units.

The software for Open9x makes it easy to set up for your models and then upload to your transmitter.

At the very least, I would find someone with a converted 9x unit and take a look before you buy - I really think it is one of those things that your brain says 'no, no, no!' until you actually see it.

At the very least, I think you owe it to yourself (and your wallet!) to at least read a little about about it before writing it off due to it not being a 'brand' (or at least one you are familiar with)

I bought an already converted 9x Tx, with telemetry, backlight, NiMh and 6ch Rx for £90 to give you an idea of the value.