RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

August 24, 2019, 06:20:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

ASP .61 FS RPM

Started by Erez, December 28, 2012, 08:46:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Erez

I have run this engine on the bench so far per the 'usual' procedure for breaking in a ringed engine, and have accumulated a total of close to 45 minutes so far.

Engine starts immediately and runs very nicely, throttle response and idle also very nice.

I am getting now 8650-8700 RPM with a Master Airscrew WOOD 12-6 using 7% Nitro. Is this reasonable?

The engine is ready for flight (first, I'll fly it on a 40 size trainer just to see how it behaves in flight) but I want to know if I'm close to the expected performance (my first ASP). BTW a friend's tachometer shows the same RPM as my tachometer.

FlyinBrian

Sounds about right, it will probably pick up a couple of hundred RPM with further running
Basic Research is what I do - when I don't know what I'm doing!.

Steve J

Quote from: Erez on December 28, 2012, 08:46:35 am
I am getting now 8650-8700 RPM with a Master Airscrew WOOD 12-6 using 7% Nitro. Is this reasonable?

According to my notes, mine gives me 9000 rpm on a APC 12x6 using 5%.

Steve

Erez

Thanks! so it seems I'm close to what should be expected from this engine.

Is there any point in using more Nitro?
My LHS also offer a 12% Nitro fuel (same oil content as my current 7% fuel) at almost the same price, so I'm wondering if there's any advantage?

Steve J

December 28, 2012, 13:52:00 pm #4 Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 14:18:45 pm by Steve J
I only ever use 5% nitro in my ASP's. The two strokes get 18% oil and an OS 8 plug and the four stroke gets 15% oil and an OS F. I haven't had any issues, so I haven't felt the need to experiment.

Steve

FlyinBrian

I normally use 10% nitro in my four strokes.
Basic Research is what I do - when I don't know what I'm doing!.

Erez

I flew this engine for the first time today, it has already gained another 150 RPM so it seems it's getting there.
I installed it on an old trainer I keep for this kind of activities.

I was amazed how easy this engine was to start everytime and how easy it was to adjust.
Power seems about the same as a 45 two stroke engine.
The sound is really great, like the 'old' four stroke engines of many years ago.

I will now try an APC in place of the MA wood 12-6.

The idle 'sounds' right but the model will not stand still, could it be that a 2.5 Kg model is just too light for this engine at idle with a 12-6?

[attachimg=1]