July 16, 2020, 17:36:24 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

July 16, 2020, 17:36:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Sea Hawk flies

Started by Graham, June 07, 2013, 11:06:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

Photos by Pete Disney,
Enjoy----

Graham

Drat!
It only attaches the last attachment!
Photo 1:

Graham

Graham

Graham

Graham

Photo 5
That's your lot for the moment.
Graham

STORM

Very nice, congratulations.

HarryC

That's gorgeous, Graham.

Own design?  What size. engine etc?  Presumably a very bifurcated pipe, does it have much effect on thrust?

Michael_Rolls

Looks really good - well done!
Mike :af :af :af
Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

Graham

Team effort
I designed it, Pete Nye built it, Jamie Cuff flew it and Pete Disney took the pics.
84 inch span, 27Lb on take off on 9 square feet.
It hung around for quite a while, but we finally found a pipe by Grumania
Not so much taper as you would think, the engine is a long way forward with a conformal tank underneath.
Graham

HarryC

I guess that's at merryfield?  I am in the process of joining as an alternative to wroughton, so might get to see the sea hawk soon.

Graham

The only place left in the west that's suitable for turbines!
there is quite a queue!

Dizz

Quote from: Harry formerly mpx on June 07, 2013, 18:50:49 pm
I guess that's at merryfield?  I am in the process of joining as an alternative to wroughton, so might get to see the sea hawk soon.

Yes, at M'F last Sunday. 
After trimming Jamie said it was handling nicely on about 2/3 throttle.  A bit lively in pitch once the gear was down though.  Definitely not a C of G issue; only thing we could think of was that the massive wheel wells (open inside to the fuselage to aid cooling the jet pipes) were shifting the C of P without the wheels blocking the hole.  Pete N is going to sheet them in before flight test No2.
Pete D

Vinceyboy

Well done guys, nice looking model :af
"Jet flying is strictly on a shoestring"

wetjet

Very nice scratch built model.
What engine is used?

Fisty

Quote from: wetjet on June 10, 2013, 20:56:24 pm
Very nice scratch built model.
What engine is used?

It has a Jetsmunt VT80, more than enough power for it. Just a few issues to iron out with the airframe.

wetjet

June 12, 2013, 10:25:19 am #16 Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:26:35 am by wetjet
Hey, that's good. The bifurcated pipe must be efficient.

I have a Sea Hawk in one of my Scale Spreadsheets, and I reckoned that 80N was the lower end of the power range at that scale - but I had no idea how much thrust such a pipe might lose.
I was actually thinking of building a slightly bigger model, with a bigger engine. But time just flies past and I get little done.
The Sea Hawk has the perfect configuration for a nice, easy to fly scale jet. Great to see photos of one fly, but seeing it in the flesh wood would be better.
Will it be at any shows?

Fisty

Quote from: wetjet on June 12, 2013, 10:25:19 am

I have a Sea Hawk in one of my Scale Spreadsheets, and I reckoned that 80N was the lower end of the power range at that scale - but I had no idea how much thrust such a pipe might lose.
I was actually thinking of building a slightly bigger model, with a bigger engine. But time just flies past and I get little done.
The Sea Hawk has the perfect configuration for a nice, easy to fly scale jet. Great to see photos of one fly, but seeing it in the flesh wood would be better.
Will it be at any shows?

I doubt it will be at any shows as Pete does no really go in for them, it may be at a few jet meets this year.

Graham

Quote from: wetjet on June 12, 2013, 10:25:19 am

Will it be at any shows?

Power is perfectly adequate, there is not much loss from a properly designed bifurcated pipes.
There are two larger versions in the pipeline which are using my original drawings. I don't think they will be commercial.