RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 12, 2019, 01:42:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Mick Reeves Hunter kit build

Started by Turbine Tinkerer, December 06, 2013, 22:47:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

paulinfrance

I normally weld the pvc/polystyrene parts together with a soldering iron on the outside and then glass them together in the inside, but like you, I do a lot with foam now, as it does a better job and the weight isn't that important on a larger model. ;)
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

Turbine Tinkerer

Been to have a look at the Hunter today most of the paint has been done and it looks stunning. Final markings to go on and hopefully I'll have it back to do the final fit out

JohnMac

Like the clour scheme. I fancy doing it on mine, but yours is an F6 I think. Mine comes as an FGA 9. Still looking for nice schemes.
John

jetster

Looking great, good choice of scheme from me too. :af

Turbine Tinkerer

Quote from: JohnMac on March 31, 2016, 20:34:28 pm
Like the clour scheme. I fancy doing it on mine, but yours is an F6 I think. Mine comes as an FGA 9. Still looking for nice schemes.
John


I'm not sure what Mk mine is! I'll have to have a look on the drawings. I believe the colour scheme I've chosen was a earlier Mk as I don't think it had the dog tooth on the leading edge of the wing. Couldn't find much information on the full size there dont seem to be many left in this scheme. It's not supposed to be a exact scale replica just a representation of one with a few personal touches.

paulinfrance

Nice colours, at least you can see it in the sky, not like my Rafale  :embarassed:
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

Turbine Tinkerer

April 29, 2016, 19:49:06 pm #166 Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 19:50:07 pm by Turbine Tinkerer
Really coming to the end of this build now. I've been installing the fuel system, plumbing the air and installing the rest of the gear. Trying to keep everything simple, fairly neat and easy to get at whilst getting the antennas away from anything metallic and at 90 degrees to each other. I'm fairly happy with the outcome.

So a final check over and it should be good to go. Just waiting for access to some suitable tarmac and the weather to play ball.

Turbine Tinkerer

There's 2 x 2s 2500mah life batteries (for radio)and 2 x 2s 2200mah lipo batteries (for turbine) right up in the nose. I still needed just over 1lb of lead to balance it on the recommended centre of gravity. I have not weighed the complete model yet but it doesn't feel heavy.

Turbine Tinkerer

I achieved 1 flight on the Hunter today. Not a complete success but by no means a complete disaster! Model was tail heavy so very sensitive to elevator input. Having said that it flew reasonably well although it was quite draggy as I never put the gear away. The landing wasn't the best with the over sensitive elevator and bounced bending one of the main retract pins and damaging the nose retract. Should be a fairly easy fix and ready to go again with more nose weight.

paulinfrance

Great to hear, so when's the video ?. :''
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

STORM

Quote from: Turbine Tinkerer on April 30, 2016, 08:42:30 am
There's 2 x 2s 2500mah life batteries (for radio)and 2 x 2s 2200mah lipo batteries (for turbine) right up in the nose. I still needed just over 1lb of lead to balance it on the recommended centre of gravity. I have not weighed the complete model yet but it doesn't feel heavy.
Quote from: Turbine Tinkerer on May 15, 2016, 22:12:21 pm
I achieved 1 flight on the Hunter today. Not a complete success but by no means a complete disaster! Model was tail heavy so very sensitive to elevator input. Having said that it flew reasonably well although it was quite draggy as I never put the gear away. The landing wasn't the best with the over sensitive elevator and bounced bending one of the main retract pins and damaging the nose retract. Should be a fairly easy fix and ready to go again with more nose weight.


Life's not HK by chance are they?

Turbine Tinkerer

Yeah the blue zippys I use them in quite a few models with no problems.

Sorry no video but there may be a few stills on the way

STORM

So did I until they put my big Xcalibur+ in a couple of weeks ago.
They are only 5c!

Turbine Tinkerer

That's not good. I run 2 in parallel so that's 25 amps theoretically

STORM

Wrong Terry, most systems only use the battery with the highest capacity and then switch.
Send me your mobile to scancom@aol.com

Turbine Tinkerer

Thanks for that Gary I did a few tests in my setup and it coped fine.

I added another 1lb of lead to the nose and this has helped tremendously! I had 4 flights with it last Friday unfortunately the gear didn't retract fully so never got it cleaned up properly. I'll do some tinkering with the gear over the coming weeks and hopefully all will be fine then.

Turbine Tinkerer

A few photos from its maiden flight.

Pup Cam

How lovely is that!

What a beautiful aeroplane the Hunter is and the model's none too shabby either ;D

Alan
Still distracted by a 1953 AJS 16MS and now a 1939 BSA 250 too!

martin lees

Looks nice, well done Terry.

Rgds  Martin.

THE BLACKBIRD

Look great Terry, I do like the colour scheme, perhaps a video of her flying please  :)
The man that never made a mistake
Never made anything

Anthony

Terry, where did the CG end up, any vid of a flight. 👍

Turbine Tinkerer

Sorry no video. Last time it flew was at the Elvington LMA show. C of G pretty much as drawing.

THE BLACKBIRD

Hi TT what did the final weight come out at, im a bit disappointed with my scratch built one, it is exactly the same size as the MR one and it finished up at 27/8 lb with a JC 100RX in it, before painting it was 23lb bit without retracts then so im gobsmacked the paint weighs so much, at 23lb it flew nicely but now seems to me to be sluggish although when my friend flys it it looks great in the air
Lovely model yours has turned out to be

Tony
The man that never made a mistake
Never made anything

Anthony

Quote from: Turbine Tinkerer on January 30, 2017, 08:23:24 am
Sorry no video. Last time it flew was at the Elvington LMA show. C of G pretty much as drawing.


Cheers.  👍