RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 13, 2019, 12:08:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Turbine model construction - can a normal balsa/ply model work as a Jet?

Started by FlyinBrian, January 05, 2014, 07:03:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_Rolls

You could always practice carrier deck landings with that set-up!
Mike :D
Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

trebor

Just a quick update from my earlier post just to show that it is possible to design and build your own jet.
Mine has now flown, the test flights went well and to be honest surpassed my expectations. It had all the characteristics I was looking for in that it flew as well as an Intro, landings were just as easy and if anything it may even be a little more agile but as yet I haven't flown it enough to confirm that.
Last picture shows it now painted, it should be easy to see  :).

Rob

Ps. No that isn't my workshop it's far too tidy ;D

THE BLACKBIRD

That looks great Rob very well done, much better than all the twin boom starter jets that are around, maybe you should start selling the plans for it, I would be interested

Tony
The man that never made a mistake
Never made anything

Si_B

Rob,

Told you people would want the plan once they see it. Good job on the paint, you ain't going to miss that!

Simon

wetjet

Quote from: trebor on February 25, 2014, 14:05:46 pm
                 just to show that it is possible to design and build your own jet.
Mine has now flown, the test flights went well and to be honest surpassed my expectations. It had all the characteristics I was looking for in that it flew as well as an Intro, landings were just as easy and if anything it may even be a little more agile but as yet I haven't flown it enough to confirm that.
Last picture shows it now painted, it should be easy to see  :).
Rob

Just rediscovered this thread.  I wonder if you ever did kit that, as was suggested.
You  must have used a tail pipe. Where from?

trebor

Quote from: wetjet on July 29, 2017, 08:52:12 am
Just rediscovered this thread.  I wonder if you ever did kit that, as was suggested.
You  must have used a tail pipe. Where from?

No I didn't do a kit ,it was never my intention but flattered that some thought it worth it!.
I would have had to design the wing as intro/ sprint wings are no longer available.
As with most designs there are things I would change if I made another.
Tail pipe is  a Wren single skin item.
Plane is just waiting for a bit of paint touch up after a recent dodgy landing but still flying.
Some pictures on Rcu jet thread from the recent JMA meet at Long Marston
Rob

wetjet

Is your canopy a clear moulding, painted black?  Or a foam or balsa carving, glassed and painted?
I hadn't thought of a solid cockpit til I saw your model. It gets around the availability and expense of a moulded clear one.

Good idea using off the shelf Intro wings.

I am slowly building a built up wing for my JayTee using laser cut ribs and a balsa skin. The spars will be balsa, but with carbon tows for reinforcement.

THE BLACKBIRD

I am in the process of building my own design jet, this is the plug for a glass fibre fuselage

Tony
Never made anything

trebor

Quote from: wetjet on August 03, 2017, 16:07:02 pm
Is your canopy a clear moulding, painted black?  Or a foam or balsa carving, glassed and painted?
I hadn't thought of a solid cockpit til I saw your model. It gets around the availability and expense of a moulded clear one

The canopy is blue foam on a 2mm base and end caps then glassed and painted, Its light and comparable weight wise to a mouded one , although I may still make a mould and have one formed.

Quote from: THE BLACKBIRD on August 03, 2017, 17:40:13 pm
I am in the process of building my own design jet, this is the plug for a glass fibre fuselage

Way above my skill set but good to see , I'll be interested in your  progress.

Rob

THE BLACKBIRD

Hi Rob my skill set is not that high im afraid, it is my first attempt and have had a few problems along the way, but a good learning experience, im also doing a A10Thunderbolt the build threads are on another forum that I have left, I was going to perhaps bring them on here but got no reaction when I mentioned it on here last week, and I thought this was a builders forum
Never made anything