RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

July 02, 2020, 14:20:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

BECs with ferrite rings...

Started by Mike_T, February 13, 2014, 20:05:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_T

... is the ferrite (noise suppression) needed if you're on 2.4GHz? (every gramme counts...)

Phil_G

February 13, 2014, 21:36:08 pm #1 Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 21:52:21 pm by Phil_G
A speed controller whether brushed or brushless is switching huge amounts of current into a highly inductive load several thousand times per second and so introduces spikes and hash along the electrical path between the motor & the battery.  This can do two things - first anything aligned parallel to wires carrying the heavy switching will pick up noise through induction, and second the noisy power rail can affect the servo and receiver electronics, that is the processor and interface parts, rather than the RF part.   The ferrites job is to help suppress hash on the power supply to the receiver and servos, so I'd suggest its better left in  :af
Cheers
Phil

Mike_T

Thanks Phil. 

What about where no ESC/motor is involved, i.e. using a BEC to provide 5v from a 2s LiPo installed in a glider?

Phil_G

If its a linear bec then you dont need it Mike.
If its a switching bec then I'd leave it in.

Mike_T

Thanks Phil.  It's a switcher - but then so is the one in another glider, which has never had a ferrite ring... :-\

I think I'm going to try it without and proceed with caution (or I may make up a linear from a 5v reg and a couple of caps  :xx)