April 02, 2020, 07:03:31 am

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

April 02, 2020, 07:03:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Speedo

Started by Seanick, February 22, 2014, 22:34:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanick

May 22, 2014, 20:13:39 pm #120 Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 22:40:33 pm by Seanick
Stick a steel joiner in, or repair the wing. Use scarphs where possible, minimum length 6:1 length to thickness. Ideally 12:1. That's the ratio we use for making masts, spars etc.
For the d box, just cut square between two ribs, slip a doubler under (butt strap), hold in place with an Allen key whilst it glues.
Couple of evenings and it will be done :-)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

It's taken over my life!   www.nickgates.co.uk

slopeflyer

Scarfs? Too warm on the riviera for one of those this time of year. Speedo wing is binned, I wonder if it will fly with one wing?
Btw nick, vid of dodman on vimeo.

tilmanb

Acorn seed flight perhaps.

Seanick

Not scarfs, scarphs!!
Here's my Wot Phase wing. Nearly done. Mind you, it may have been quicker to start again!

slopeflyer

Perhaps I should send you my wing. The speedo wing that is. Way to fiddly for me and I'm not keen on scarfs or scarphs. I'll cut my carbon joiner down and use an old wing. Actually I checked they are not too bad, seems its the fuze that tends to die on this model.

slopeflyer

Appears the wing joiners on the new and old wings, don't align.. Chinese design? Looks like I'm now speedo less :(

leccyflyer

It's a tight fit all round, so a bit surprising that things are different on different models - are they two different versions of the model all together?

Just putting my wings together this afternoon - hoping to have the model all geared up and ready to go by the end of the day, so that she's ready for next weekend. :xx
Nicht mal ein Spitfire kann zur gleichen Zeit im Süden und im Norden sein.

slopeflyer

It appears so. I would of expected the old wings to fit. As it happens they don't, so I have 3 wings that don't fit each other. But carp really. Unfortunately I chucked the broken wing before I checked the old ones fit. Doh.

leccyflyer

How do you guys secure the canopy? Bit of bent wire? Magnets? Bit of tape?
Nicht mal ein Spitfire kann zur gleichen Zeit im Süden und im Norden sein.

Seanick

I used a piece of wire, 1.5 mm epoxied index the canopy middle with the ends protruding. You may have to give it a hole or a grove to go into. Slide the front wire in then the back.

paul_mccaughey

had mine together for a while but only just getting out to fly it this evening. any thoughts on expo and rate settings i was going to go with 30% expo and 50-60% rates? it will be different to what i am used to sloping and don't want to bin it on it's first flight. should i mix in some spoilerons? my landing area is fairly open and long grass but the speedo looks like it will need to be brought in at a reasonable speed.

Rob Thomson

No harm using spolierons.   I do :)

Expo wise - really personal choice.  Its am easy and forgiving model to fly.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

slopeflyer

If I'm on a really steep slope, I would land her inverted. Really kills the lift where spoilerons don't.

compact

Yawn................ ::)

paul_mccaughey

Inverted landings? I call that crashing...

Managed to get a few flights on the speedo with no issues. Lift wasn't that great, wind dropped and was gusting. I was getting a few circuits before I lost the height I gained.

My orange box is floaty but I was still strugling to stay up with that. Will need more practice on the speedo bit should hopefully be more comfortable with it soon.

slopeflyer

May 29, 2014, 22:07:03 pm #135 Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 22:16:49 pm by slopeflyer
Quote from: compact on May 29, 2014, 21:29:21 pm
Yawn................ ::)

Don't try this on a needle though ... :)

compact

Do you mean with a Needle..?

paul_mccaughey

some photos of mine before i chucked it for the first time. its in memory slot 13 so 'lucky 13'it is.

slopeflyer

Nice one Paul, hope the maiden went well.

Heath

Hi all,

Received my gold and black MK2 this evening... Looks pretty good, really surprised me how light it is.. need to get correct size servos, battery and find some carbon cloth... :)
excited...

Heath

Seanick

June 06, 2014, 22:29:36 pm #140 Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 22:31:32 pm by Seanick
Finally had success with the Speedo this evening.
Final configuration was a 300mAh 2s Turnigy Lipo under the wing (21g) then a 3A BEC next to an Orange 615 (9g) with no case, then an inch of foam, then lead cast into the nose. All underneath a Grp canopy. All up weight 490g. C of g at 65mm.
New servos in the wing, much faster than the old ones.Finally fitted nylon wing bolts too!
It flew very well, not much trim needed, not as fast as the Cravello, but very nimble and lands well with spoilerons with 20% elevator. What it does do well is inspires confidence to stay inverted, and seems to stay up when doing so.
So, just as everyone has said, a lovely sloper!  ✔

slopeflyer

Quote from: Seanick on June 06, 2014, 22:29:36 pm
All up weight 490g. C of g at 65mm.

Blimey! Mine was 340g.
If you remove the lead out the nose, and bring the CG back to 75, it will proably weigh 340g ;)
Please you like it.
My poor speedo is retired, the wing went in the bin, before i could rescue it for you to repair, it had gone to the landfill in the sky.
I tried a flight at Kiln Quay with the Swiss Fish, but the cows had commandeered the slope, and after they ganged up on me and my models, nearly trampled my Fish and my Lucky, i decided to call it a day.

Seanick

I don't like a gang of cows. Sheep move away, but cows just get closer........
You must have a spare Speedo fuse then.....my final maneuver was a bit of a long shot. I must not push my luck like the Zagi...

340g!!! Don't you mean 440g!!

slopeflyer

Yeah, its weird, usually they just hang about at the top, but they were all over the slope, perhaps they are enjoying the fresh grass. But yes, i had them all around me staring and poking in my bag, licking my fish and my lucky, yuk, so i had a quick flight, landed out, and grabbed the rest of my stuff and skooted.
Yes, 340g, including carbon socked centre section. Anyone got a spare set of speedo wings? Or a spare, perhaps it will fit my different wing joiner locations.
PS dont buy this model if you expect to be able to reuse parts from old speedos.

JohnP

Quote from: Seanick on June 06, 2014, 22:57:31 pm
340g!! Don't you mean 440g!!

Mine weighs-in at 366g.  That's with a 300maH NiMH and a chunk of lead up front.  I'm not sure what the lead weighs,  it's hot-glued to the NiMH!
Quantum est in fenestra canini ?

Seanick

366g eh!
I tipped out my lead today, during a fuselage reinforcing program. It weighs135g
The bottom line.....where's yr c of g?

It flew fine at 500g,  but I did need a lot of forward stick when inverted. At 480g it had a neutral dive.

slopeflyer

June 07, 2014, 21:21:52 pm #147 Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 21:23:26 pm by slopeflyer
Put it at 75 Nick. At 75 mine still required some elevator inverted. It'll fly the same and be lighter. At 500g you AUW is almost 40% higher than mine. I can tell the difference between my 370g and 340g, so 500 must be like a brick!

JohnP

Quote from: Seanick on June 07, 2014, 20:53:59 pm
The bottom line.....where's yr c of g?

From a quick fingertip check, it's a touch over 70mm back from the leading edge at the wing root.
Quantum est in fenestra canini ?

Seanick

Ok thanks. There's three more layers of glass just gone on, and some paint go back on, so getting down to 360 may be a struggle!

Seanick

Spot the glider competition.....

slopeflyer

Anybody would think your profession was glider building, and your hobby was boat building?

Seanick

Glider rebuilding more like! It was a bit heady in there last night. Cravello.....acrylic spray
Speedo.....cellulose spray
Nymph..... Two pack epoxy spray
Add a bit of polyester fumes and it was quite a stink!!

slopeflyer

Lol, soon enough you'll be building and not repairing Nick. Have you invested in a flight sim yet? Allows you to crash and not have to rebuild!

Seanick

Nah, no fun. It was those rolling circles....

slopeflyer

Haha I'll agree with you on that. Rolling circles eh? You'll be flying knife edge circuits next .. :)

Seanick

It's not as bad as it looks!
The Cravello, well I did not like the external switch, and it came with a few star cracks. All gone now.
The Nymph,  well that was the NiMH goes flat fiasco. Now stronger and a better colour.
The Speedo was so great to fly, just keeps going, but I pushed the boundaries and found them. A three piece fuselage is now one again, externally epoxied from the wing seat fwd.
The DG I am repairing for a friend!!

slopeflyer

Nice nick, same here all projects finished. Better start looking for another, fancy a swift or an L213.

Seanick

Salto!

Andy_B

Quote from: slopeflyer on June 10, 2014, 23:21:10 pm
Nice nick, same here all projects finished. Better start looking for another, fancy a swift or an L213.

Pick mine up form the X-mods factory this week
Potatoe