RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 19, 2019, 13:58:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

The South East Flyers Thread Part 2

Started by paul w, March 12, 2014, 08:25:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

paul w

March 12, 2014, 08:25:14 am Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 19:17:15 pm by pheasant_plucker
QuoteThe proper one seems not to be working again this morning, perhaps the system is creaking under the sheer weight of hot air produced by thread.....

I have fixed the original thread so it displays and renamed this one so it can continue. If I find a solution to the issue I will merge the two threads.
Goodwind Slope Soaring     blogtastic hill side adventures

paul w

just realised I left the apostrophy out of the thread title...sorry  :embarassed:

SpringHead

Well done Paul, thanks for taking the initiative.
Acacia 2, Apache, Wild Thing, Sunshine, FireWork DLG, Cortina, NCFM M60 and more

GP

March 12, 2014, 17:51:19 pm #3 Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 17:59:15 pm by GP
Pics from monday...

GP

GP

March 12, 2014, 17:53:57 pm #5 Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 17:58:13 pm by GP
More...

GP

March 12, 2014, 17:55:08 pm #6 Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 18:01:09 pm by GP
This one is a fake, I photoshopped a real Duo Discus and mine in the same pic ... just because I enjoyed the real Duo Discuses flying over while I had my model one there ...

GP

And of course the real highlight of the day, Simon's remarkable gargantuan scratch-built model on its slope soaring maiden...

GP

peter_burgess

At Last the forum is working again!
Good to see that  you chaps had a good time on BoPeep east, we had a good time on Bopeep west! One of the short comings of life is that it is difficult to be in 2 places at once!
Pete B

GP

Since we flew both places at the same time, it's interesting to try to work out which is best. 

The east one (where I was) has possibly smoother air, but possibly slightly less lift (it's a bit lower). It is a ridge, so you can fly a long way left and right and still be in lift.

The west one is has possibly more lift, but probably more turbulence.  It is a bowl so it probably concentrates the wind a bit more.  But it is probably not as good for flying large models a long way to the left and right. 

I used to think the east one was worth the longer walk, but actually if the west one has more lift and is a much shorter walk, I'm now thinking maybe the west one is a better choice ...

What do others think?

Allen the soarer

The "Old guys" all fly Large models at the west bowl but dont tend to fly the bowl they fly so high that they are no longer restricted by the bowl

I vote for the west bowl

But I also agree the east bowl has its place
Smoother due to a cleaner slope
Not as much lift due to being a ridge that does not consetrate the lift but also is no as affective in small direction changes
I think in a true steady NE that it could better, but when does that ever happen ?
Don't buy something new
When you can hack something old

Allen the soarer

Don't buy something new

Allen the soarer

ESSA F3F this Sunday
if the conditions stay the same it should be flown on the lower west slope of the LM and landing is likely to be at the top  :)
I expect to see GP there unless he has a very good excuse
There is even talk of a foamie/newby class if enough turn up  $%&
Don't buy something new

paul w

Quote from: BLADE1
Glad everyone had a good time at the 'peep'!
What was the windspeed there?

It was about 15 to 20 mph Paul, the wind was slightly off the hill

Allen the soarer

March 13, 2014, 09:40:19 am #15 Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:45:17 am by Allen the soarer
Quote from: paul w on March 13, 2014, 09:38:34 am
It was about 15 to 20 mph Paul, the wind was slightly off the hill

It was about 15 to 20  20 to 35 mph, the wind was slightly off YOUR hill  :''
Don't buy something new

Allen the soarer

Just been up Bopeep for lunch
Pillows sat everywhere
even I could not stay up for more that a couple of minutes
beautiful though!!
Don't buy something new

EricF

March 13, 2014, 17:53:14 pm #17 Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:46:23 am by EricF
As no one else has posted it on this forum so far, here's the video evidence of the two flights of Simon's wonderful machine at Bopeep East on Monday!  :af

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBjQb9JLUec#ws
I'm not old, I've just been young for a very long time!

EricF

March 13, 2014, 19:46:35 pm #18 Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:11:45 am by EricF
Quote from: blade1
Count me in for thermally Farthing Common!! :af

It looks like Farthing Common could be the only place soarable in Kent on Sunday.
Anyone up for it? - I'll be there with my 'Storm'.
Unfortunately not quite enough of a blow for the ASG29, Simon.

For those who haven't been there, take a look at Mr Goodwind's excellent video shot at the site.
I might even take my 40 year old 'Countryman' along as well.
Car park opposite the site, walk across the road, pass through the gate and 20 paces later launch - QED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgkhN3k_e5M

paul w

Got a family gathering on Sunday...managed a quick 'no mates' half hour up at Thurnham this afternoon though

SpringHead

Quote from: EricF on March 13, 2014, 19:46:35 pm
It looks like Farthing Common could be the only place soarable in Kent on Sunday.
Anyone up for it? - I'll be there with my 'Storm'.
Unfortunately not quite enough of a blow for the ASG29, Simon.

For those who haven't been there, take a look at Mr Goodwind's excellent video shot at the site.
I might even take my 40 year old 'Countryman' along as well.
Car park opposite the site, walk across the road, pass through the gate and 20 paces later launch - QED!

Is this where you are going Eric?
Lyminge, Folkestone, Kent CT18 8DH ‎ 

Acacia 2, Apache, Wild Thing, Sunshine, FireWork DLG, Cortina, NCFM M60 and more

EricF

That's it . . . .and you can put the missus and toddler in the garden centre while you're there.  ;)

EricF

March 15, 2014, 11:35:41 am #22 Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 11:39:39 am by EricF
Quote from: paul w on March 14, 2014, 19:01:32 pm
Got a family gathering on Sunday...managed a quick 'no mates' half hour up at Thurnham this afternoon though

I also had a couple of 30 minute 'Billy no mates' sessions during the week but on the Isle of Sheep in a nice nor' easter - very pleasant.

BLADE1

Does look good for the 'Common tomorrow but,promised the littl'un we would all go to the park sunday :banghead:
Could ask the misses I suppose :xx,but then I would have to suffer the backlash!
bollox

EricF

March 16, 2014, 09:52:14 am #24 Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 21:08:54 pm by EricF
Sorry you can't make it Paul, maybe next time.
There's still a touch of north in the westerly at Thurnham which makes it all fall apart there, so I'm heading off to the Common shortly where there hopefully will be a steady force 3 - 4. I should be there by about 11am, but it looks like I'll be 'Billy no-mates' again!  :'(

Edit @ 21:00 hrs
Yes, I was 'Billy no mates' at the Common, but the smooth lift in the west wind with a tad of north in it was excellent . . .  and I had it all to myself. :af  Also took the opportunity to explore some more slopes in the Folkestone area which have been made accessible by the establishment of new ridge top routes of the North Downs Way - should be good for some summer cross country expeditions.

paul w

Eric, it's good to hear that the Common delivered...hopefully it'll be more of a group outing next time.

GP

I'm planning on doing a bit of flying at Thurnham lunchtime today.

paul w

Quote from: GP on March 19, 2014, 08:00:32 am
I'm planning on doing a bit of flying at Thurnham lunchtime today.

I might just do that too!

GP

Bit nippy at Thurnham today, the pleasant forecast didn't quite make it ... but never mind, the flying was fine.
[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3]

paul w

Nippy is an understatement!

Friday is looking a little brighter though, maybe another session then?

swarrans

I'd be up for that.  Maybe even try the big un  at Thurham?....

Si
I'm back from the Dark Side - I like gliders!

paul w

Quote from: swarrans on March 20, 2014, 06:28:33 am
I'd be up for that.  Maybe even try the big un  at Thurham?....

Si

Absolutely!!

GP

Good idea ... but I think you'll have to be cautious.  I suspect the lift yesterday would not have been quite enough.

My Prismaray flew fine, but I could not gain much height.  Paul (Blade1) did not dare fly his 7 metre model.  Friday looks like it might have similar conditions.  I'm sure you could do it, because you're good at milking lift, but you won't have much room for error. 

I wonder what the optimum wind speed is for maximum lift at Thurnham?

Allen the soarer

May have to have an extended Lunch today and pop up the LM to maiden the Schwing  :af
Don't buy something new

GP

Hey, you got the Schwing!  Enjoy your session.

Allen the soarer

Quote from: GP on March 20, 2014, 08:30:28 am
Hey, you got the Schwing!  Enjoy your session.

not sure if Im keeping it
as had very conflicting reports
but hopefuly I will come back after lunch with a big grin and positive reports  :xx
not so sure putting it on BMFA with the reason for selling being that I hate it and its sh1t will help it sell lol
Im sure I will love it  :''
Don't buy something new

paul w

Quote from: Allen the soarer on March 20, 2014, 09:29:05 am
not so sure putting it on BMFA with the reason for selling being that I hate it and its sh1t will help it sell lol
Im sure I will love it  :''

Doesn't that translate as- 'flies great, just not my cup of tea. I prefer something faster/slower/more scale' etc etc

EricF

Quote from: swarrans on March 20, 2014, 06:28:33 am
I'd be up for that.  Maybe even try the big un  at Thurnham?....
Si

I'll be there . . .

Allen the soarer

Nope not my cup of tea  ;D
Anyone fancy a Kazoo Schwing
Don't buy something new

Allen the soarer

March 20, 2014, 22:32:54 pm #39 Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 22:34:11 pm by Allen the soarer
New project under way

Gary should like this one

2m glass Jart

CAD work done and cardboard mock up made
not quite happy, few mods needed
Don't buy something new