RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 04, 2020, 20:29:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Spektrum DX6 wireless buddy options.

Started by Greno, February 08, 2020, 14:56:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Greno

I have been instructing a complete novice how to fly. Before asking me to instruct him he had already bought a cheap electric trainer complete with radio. Unfortunately after just a few sessions my club changed its rules to say all novice pilots should be instructed to fly using a buddy method. To continue to fly the novice will need a new tx which will buddy up with my Spektrum DX6, preferably wirelessly. My question is to keep costs down for the novice, what is the cheapest model of Spektrum tx which will  buddy up with the DX6. I am not sure if all Spektrum transmitters do so or only those of a certain spec. I obviously realise that he will also need a new receiver. If the novice wishes to continue with flying, the club rule change could prove costly.

FrankS

I think the Dx6e is the lowest price with wireless training which would use your Tx as the student set, but if your set has wireless capability then any Spektrum Tx could be used as a student set with yours the master.

The other option would be for the student to buy a 2nd Tx that is compatible with his Tx.

Greno

FrankS thank you for your reply. You have answered my question i.e any model of Spektrum tx will serve as a wireless student tx to my DX6. A second hand Spektrum tx is an option, the radio that came with the cheap electric trainer he bought is an obscure make I personally have never heard of. Thanks again I thought that only Spektrum txs with a certain spec could buddy up wirelessly.

Phil_G

February 08, 2020, 21:32:26 pm #3 Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 21:36:48 pm by Phil_G
Another option is a dual receiver adapter in the model. The instructors
trainer-switch switches the servos to either 'his' or 'the students' receiver.
It pains me to recommend it as they ripped off my design but the HK one
is cheap (£14) and reliable. They're very versatile as you can wirelessly
buddy any combination of gear.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/wireless-buddy-box-system-8ch-dual-rx-controller.html
Cheers
Phil

Greno

Thanks Phil, this is an option I have never heard of or considered. I'll take a look. It's certainly the cheapest option.

PDR

Bear in mind that this option requires you to fully trim out the model on BOTH transmitters. When you use normal buddy-box systems the student Tx only gives stick positions - the master Tx controls trims, rates, mixing etc. This alternative literally hands full control to a second Tx.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

itsme

I looks to be a brilliant idea. (well done Phil) I shall order one as I am sick of tripping over buddy leads and refuse to get Spectrum (nothing against it, but I already use Hitec and Futaba) Pete- surely thats how it works with an ordinary buddy lead? You have to trim both out.

itsme

out of stock. I have put an alert for when they are available.

FrankS

Quote from: itsme on February 09, 2020, 08:46:16 amPete- surely thats how it works with an ordinary buddy lead? You have to trim both out.

Most modern radios just use the stick inputs, all trims, mixes, exponential etc remain with the instructor Tx. Some even allow you to select what controls the student has.

paulinfrance

Quote from: FrankS on February 09, 2020, 10:29:33 amMost modern radios just use the stick inputs, all trims, mixes, exponential etc remain with the instructor Tx. Some even allow you to select what controls the student has.

As the Futaba FC-18 did 25 years ago,, :''
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

itsme

Yes, I have seen crashes caused by that system... :co I like the student Tx to have softer controls than the instructors Tx, I often need to rescue a model in a bad situation. I was always happy with the Futaba method on the FF9, some transmitters now have the trainer switch on the other side- I hate that. Big problem to me is the lead, if I can do away with that, great. Phil- fancy making some?

FrankS

FrankS

Quote from: itsme on February 09, 2020, 12:56:40 pmYes, I have seen crashes caused by that system... :co I like the student Tx to have softer controls than the instructors Tx, I often need to rescue a model in a bad situation. I was always happy with the Futaba method on the FF9, some transmitters now have the trainer switch on the other side- I hate that. Big problem to me is the lead, if I can do away with that, great. Phil- fancy making some?

Yep, I often program the trainer button to activate dual rates or a flight phase where I have softer settings for the student.

As for the trainer switch, I'm in complete agreement, why have Futaba elected on their entry level programmable Tx to put it on the upper right-hand side and made the switch a normal switch rather than spring loaded.

PDR

Actually once I got over the initial difference I found I preferred the ordinary switch over the sprung one. My finger got sore holding it against the spring.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

Greno

February 09, 2020, 13:59:19 pm #14 Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 14:56:49 pm by Greno
Thanks for the heads up PDR. The only downside I can see is as the YouTube video says it is rather large and you will of course need and a spare receiver. Agreeing with Phil the reviews all say it is reliable and works well. Unfortunately as Itsme says it is on back order. I think I will wait for the alert when its back in stock and order one. Its worth a shot for £14. Thanks again Phil.
I cant seem to get the link to work for the YouTube video but if you go on YouTube and search for "  Assan dual receiver controller review " you will find it.

PDR

Quote from: itsme on February 09, 2020, 08:46:16 amPete- surely thats how it works with an ordinary buddy lead? You have to trim both out.

It might be with crude radios, but pretty well every "computer" radio I've had only sends the stick data down the buddy lead. Even those cheap Turnigy Txs I bought specifically for buddy boxing a couple of weeks ago do this - the master Tx sorts out the trims, rates, mixers etc and then switches the four stick inputs to the student Tx. I can even put dabs of trim in while the student still has control.

On decent radios you can choose which button/switch does the trainer function, and on really decent radios you can actually *choose* which functions (controls, rates, mixers) are handed over. The multiplex sets have had this functionality since before the turn of the century IIRC.

But if you want to have different rate/expo settings for the student just define the student settings in a different flight phase and then assign the "trainer" control to the same switch as the flight phase switch (or vice versa)

Seemples

PDR