RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 01, 2020, 14:03:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

3 d look alike pilots

Started by paulinfrance, February 11, 2020, 16:45:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

paulinfrance

So with all these cheap printers, :co  is no one on this site got a scanner or is capable of scanning photos to print look alike pilots ,; :study:
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

flynn

3D scanners do exist. The last time I had a go at one the results were 'less than perfect', and I decided that life was too short to persist with it. You would be better off 3D printing a pilot with a flat face and cutting up a photo to stick on it.......

paulinfrance

A shame it's stopped, this is one of our locals, Alain FERROUL.jpgFerroul_Alain.jpg

itsme

my mate is in the late stages of printing an EDF Super Sabre. It has all the detail you could wish for, is VERY light and super strong. Even the retracts, wheels, everything are printed. Its around 5 feet length. I dont see a pilot would be any problem. Its just getting the files.

paulinfrance

The images that I posted were from a firm that scanned photos,,

pooh

A pal of mine had a 3D professional quality scanner, snag is it cost about £20K as I recall...

but it would scan a full-size car in sufficient detail to make a copy!
Confucious he say "more than one aircraft in the same airspace leads to structural failure"

paulinfrance

February 12, 2020, 14:40:11 pm #6 Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 14:41:28 pm by paulinfrance
Quote from: pooh on February 12, 2020, 14:11:42 pmA pal of mine had a 3D professional quality scanner, snag is it cost about £20K as I recall...

but it would scan a full-size car in sufficient detail to make a copy!

My mug isn't that big, but maybe as ugly,,

I have seen in model shows where they scan objects including faces and cut ? them out of resin blocks,resin.png

I asked him if he would scan me and sell me the file, but it didn't interest him,, ( typical French )

ace

At the Nationals "Scale me down" did me and am very happy with the result. Only seem to have a facebook page and no website.
Not 3d printed, could be etched with a laser from a solid block ?. Very light and hard.  :af

paulinfrance

Quote from: Pat M on April 03, 2020, 07:44:58 amWhat about Real Model Pilots...........http://realmodelpilots.co.uk/epages/54b61a4d-8f75-4f18-8833-03c2078eb64e.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/54b61a4d-8f75-4f18-8833-03c2078eb64e/Categories/Category3

Thanks, I just rang him he is VERY helpful ( it is so nice to hear a helpful Englishman ) I will be sorting some out with my modelling friends,,

paulinfrance

Pilot size.jpgHelp,,, I am not getting much movement from them in their mails,,

So can we cut to the chase ?,,,

Is it possible to see a picture of the front of pilot, N° 2305 and just make a head and shoulders of it,

Head and neck 'A' 6cm

Shoulders 'B' 3cm

Giving a total of 9cm.

Then I can always trim the body off to fit in me planes,

I can't give him an accurate scale size as my planes sizes are as follow,,

ME 109 1/6th scale, head and shoulders 7cm
P 40  1/7th scale  Head and shoulders 9cm
P 47 1/1.75 scale  Head and shoulders 8cm

I want an unpainted one,

Has anyone got a picture of this one , and sizes please ?.

paulinfrance

Well a bit slow but I eventually the two ( same size ) Pilots  arrived today, :'' I don't think that they really look like me ( spot the major difference  :o  ) but they are nice looking,  and the quality of the painting is exceptional. what do you think ?.
enclosed the original picture sent .Paul  1-2048.jpgDSC00582-2048.jpgDSC00585-2048.jpg

meharibear

A perfect likeness if you ask me!
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.  (Terry Pratchett)

THE BLACKBIRD

The pilots got his own teeth ;D
The man that never made a mistake
Never made anything

paulinfrance

He wants £80 for the file  :-\

so maybe a mould ?. :study:

paulinfrance

June 11, 2020, 16:36:03 pm #15 Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 17:40:50 pm by paulinfrance
That's it, I bought the silicone to make a mould, anyone interested ?,
or do I just ramble on on my own in my workshop ?.Pilot for moulding.jpg

PDR

Why would I want an ugly old codger like that in my models? It would scare the lift demons away!!

:)

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

FlyinBrian

Why would I want an ugly old codger like that in my models? It would scare the lift demons away!!

I had one of these done a few years ago at, IIRC, the Nats. Mine is also unused for  that very reason.
Basic Research is what I do - when I don't know what I'm doing!.

paulinfrance

Quote from: FlyinBrian on June 12, 2020, 08:00:57 amWhy would I want an ugly old codger like that in my models? It would scare the lift demons away!!

I had one of these done a few years ago at, IIRC, the Nats. Mine is also unused for  that very reason.

A friend had one done and I expected it to be as good,,

as posted earlier,,

paulinfrance

June 13, 2020, 13:35:47 pm #19 Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 07:39:00 am by paulinfrance
I made the mould yesterday I measured 450ml of liquid to fill the 'box = 750 gms of siliconePilot silicone pouring.jpg[attach id=252991]

I used my fret saw to chase out the bubbles.

paulinfrance

I cut around the silicone unevenly to make it easier to match up and it came out well,the liquid mix it yourself is the price of gold dust  :-X ,so I have looked around at pu in spray cans but it is difficult to find what is real brown pu,  the last lot I got was  white crap :-\  (is that politically correct ? ), I have some old polyester resin and microballons so I will try that out.mould cut in half.jpg

PDR

Good stuff!

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs - make sure your "polyester" is actually casting resin not laminating resin (ie resin for doing fibreglass). Laminating resin has a lot of accelerator in it to help it get hot enough to boil off the styrene solvent in thin films, and if you let it cure in thick lumps it goes into thermal runaway (either catching fire or forming a charred lump) because it can't dissipate the heat. Casting resins have much less accelerator in the mix. 

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

paulinfrance

Quote from: PDR on June 14, 2020, 09:05:16 amGood stuff!

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs - make sure your "polyester" is actually casting resin not laminating resin (ie resin for doing fibreglass). Laminating resin has a lot of accelerator in it to help it get hot enough to boil off the styrene solvent in thin films, and if you let it cure in thick lumps it goes into thermal runaway (either catching fire or forming a charred lump) because it can't dissipate the heat. Casting resins have much less accelerator in the mix. 

PDR

Yes thanks I do know, but the information is relevant for beginners,, so I didn't do a 'hot mix',, :co

paulinfrance

June 14, 2020, 18:27:25 pm #23 Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 10:58:06 am by paulinfrance
Old resin  ???  so after 2 days of curing it was still a bit sticky, :embarassed:  so polyurethane moulding resin ordered this evening.

paulinfrance

June 17, 2020, 14:39:22 pm #24 Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 14:41:48 pm by paulinfrance
Two pilots.jpg[/attach]Well Micro balloons and a bit of FG mulch to keep it together isn't the way to go, I have ordered some Polyurethane moulding foam,, meanwhile I will be painting them,,

paulinfrance

I took the crunch and lashed out 18€ on a kilo of Polyurethane moulding resin,, A good decision, first one out of the mould with the mould 'flash' and cleaned up.pilot cleaned up.jpg

paulinfrance

I would like to announce the retirement of my P 40 Pilot, he did a stunning job braving the enemy French pilots ( an easy job ) and downed a few of there planes, even in my absents the 4th Seagull D 520 went in yesterday in our club,,  ::)
However not an easy pair of boots to fill, but I will do my best,,  :uk: P 40 pilot.jpg

PDR

Your P40 pilot has the character appearence of a former Lightning F6 pilot - and indeed one who has had to eject from  a lightning F6. You can always tell - their legs are cropped off just above the knees...

PDR

meharibear

Similar to the navigator in a Canberra then?
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.  (Terry Pratchett)

PDR

They've nothing to complain about - they're much better of than the radar operator in a Sea Vixen's coal hole...

PDR