December 04, 2020, 19:49:42 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 04, 2020, 19:49:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Telemetry

Started by FlyinBrian, June 24, 2020, 10:48:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyinBrian

I now use Futaba 14SG as my primary tx, I have 7008 and 3008 rx's plus a few FRSKY rx inc the Sbus (7008 compatible) version.

I have a lot of trouble gaining info on telemetry, what I need is a Futaba "Telemetry 101" course.

Checking the rx RSI and Rx battery voltage is a no brainer, as, it would appear, is checking the voltage of an external battery up to 70V but anything else seems complex and needs one thing before you can use another.

Is anyone aware of any articles or videos that cover this in detail.

Are Futaba and FrSKY sensors compatible with each other?

Thanks

Basic Research is what I do - when I don't know what I'm doing!.

British Victory

watching with interest
there's only one f in RCMF,
               John

FrankS

Futaba and Frsky sensors are not compatible with each other, there are some 3rd party sensors, SM Modelbau and Powerbox spring to mind, that can be configured on the PC to work with several different manufacturers. But sensors from Futaba and Frsky don't appear to offer this option.

As for setting up on Futaba, I did this for my friend who had a 14sg using a SM Modelbau sensor and you are correct it's a real pain, but if you buy a Futaba sensor he tells me you just plug it in and it should work.

FlyinBrian

Frank, thanks but "just plug it in" - to what?  $%&

PDR

On futaba systems (IIRC) the telemetry sensors plug into the SBus2 port on the receiver. You need an SBus2 "hub" to plug in more than one sensor (the sensors plug into the hub, the hib plugs into the SBus2 port of the Rx), but if you only have one sensor you may be able to plug it straight into the Rx - I'm not sure on this.

When it comes to telemetry aach manufacturer is different - for instance the current [sic] FrSky system uses a single "Smart Port" with the sensors daisy-chained into it. ie you plug the first sensor into the Rx, the second sensor then plugs into the first sensor and so on. But AFAIK the futaba ones don't do that.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

FrankS

Quote from: PDR on June 24, 2020, 16:14:49 pmOn futaba systems (IIRC) the telemetry sensors plug into the SBus2 port on the receiver. You need an SBus2 "hub" to plug in more than one sensor (the sensors plug into the hub, the hib plugs into the SBus2 port of the Rx), but if you only have one sensor you may be able to plug it straight into the Rx - I'm not sure on this.

PDR

Yes a single sensor just plugs directly into the SBus 2 port. If you are using multiple sensors then you'll need a SBus2 hub. If you use one of the SM Modelbau sensors like the Unisens E then you have to go through a process of registering it on the Tx and as the Unisens E replaces several Futaba sensors it gets a bit fussy. Not sure about the 14sg but on the lower end FHSS transmitters you can't have the same sensor on more than one model memory at a time. Not sure how easy the Frsky system is to set up but Futaba should study (or copy) what Multiplex or Jeti do.

FlyinBrian

Peter and Frank, thanks its a bit clearer now.
So if I just want say a height sensor I can connect it to the SBUS 2 port but for more than one sensor I need a Telemetry hub.

RobC

Quote from: FrankS on June 24, 2020, 17:06:24 pm....Not sure how easy the Frsky system is to set up but Futaba should study (or copy) what Multiplex or Jeti do.
Frsky - set the unit to FrSky protocol then simply plug it in and run 'Discover Sensors' OpenTX will happily duplicate sensors between models, ie I can set up a model telemetry from a Unisens-E, then use that model as a template.  At the field I simply plug the Unisens-E into the particular model I wish to fly.
flying's easy - it's getting it back down in one piece that's the hard part