RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 04, 2020, 20:19:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Mr. Sod and his infernal law

Started by Dave_S, August 26, 2020, 15:08:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_S

I've spent several hours over the last few days in ur cramped and only partially boarded loft, looking for modelling odds and ends I was sure I had kept. In particular, I was sure I still had my prop reamers, as I had had them for years and would have been unlikely to have chucked out.
Yesterday, I climbed down from another fruitless search of the loft by torchlight, and decided I had searched every corner and the bits between them, and there was no sign of the reamers, so I ordered a new one on-line. I thought at the time 'that's one ay of ensuring I find them soon'.
Just down from another attack on the mountain of junk up there and I spotted a small tatty box shoved behind several others. Curiosity got the better of me, I hacked my way through to it, retrieved it and was greeted by the sight of a dozen or more large props I had forgotten about, and under the props....obviously...the missing prop reamers!
Dave S in West Oxfordshire

pooh

Count yourself lucky, the ultimate Sod's Law is that you find what you were looking for a day after buying a replacement !
Confucious he say "more than one aircraft in the same airspace leads to structural failure"

Dave_S

Quote from: pooh on August 26, 2020, 15:20:41 pmCount yourself lucky, the ultimate Sod's Law is that you find what you were looking for a day after buying a replacement !

I did - I ordered the replacements yesterday and found the reamers today!

Charlie C

The law of Sod strikes again  ::)

Welcome back by the way Dave.

Charlie C
Global Moderator

Dave_S

There's no way around that law of his!
Thanks, and it's good to be back.

half throttle

I've got two servo testers now, for that very reason. :''
'Concerning myself with the reasoning processes of your cerebral cortex is notably absent from my tables of consideration at this juncture'

SteveBB

Let PDR regale you about the time he went over to the dark side and with glider in hand, he trudged and trudged to the top of the hill and realised he'd forgotten the wing joiners in the car...And down he went again to the car, and realised he'd left his keys ...in his jacket...at the top...of the hill. Oh how he laughed and laughed. ;D
Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

Dave_S

I'll stick that one in the bank, could come in useful one day!

SteveBB

Quote from: Dave_S on August 27, 2020, 06:44:50 amI'll stick that one in the bank, could come in useful one day!

It was funnier when he said it. I once locked my car keys on the shelf of the hatchback at the slope. That was equally funny.
Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

PDR

Quote from: SteveBB on August 27, 2020, 00:48:12 amLet PDR regale you about the time he went over to the dark side and with glider in hand, he trudged and trudged to the top of the hill and realised he'd forgotten the wing joiners in the car...And down he went again to the car, and realised he'd left his keys ...in his jacket...at the top...of the hill. Oh how he laughed and laughed. ;D

I'm sure I've re-told this story many times, (for instance here), but to save the cross-clicking I'll paste it in here. If you're sitting comfortably, I'll begin:

Quote from: PDR on May 12, 2010, 19:02:27 pmBack in the early 80s I used to do quite a lot of slope soaring and my usual south-wester was Beacon Hill (the one at the end of watership down near kingsclere). For those who don't know it the salient point about this hill is that you have to park at the bottom and walk up it - a steep path going up a couple of hundred feet with no vegetation to protect from the wind.

One day I went there with my Viking 1/4scale Salto to enjoy a couple of hours of the steady force 4-5 wind that was square onto the hill. Carrying the Salto up this hill with the wings on was well-nigh impossible in any wind, so I carried the fuselage and wings under my arms, with Tx, coffee and stuff in a ruck sack. After yomping all the way to the top I was sweating like a stuck pig (fitness has never been my most prominent feature) so I took off my coat, put my stuff down and had a drink before putting the model together to fly. It was at this point that I discovered that the Salto's wing joiners were not actually in my rucksack, but were still safely stored in the boot of the car.

"I golly gosh" I said to the assembled multitude followed by a few other carefully selected incantations, but despite flicking my wand in the recommended manner the wing-joiners resolutely remained in the car. So I asked the others to keep an eye on my gear and duly hoofed it back down to the car to retrieve the joiners, cussing all the way.

Unfortunately it wasn't until I arrived at the car that I remembered that my car keys were securely zipped into the inside pocked of my coat (to ensure that they didn't fall out and get lost) - the coat had been left with my other gear at the top of the slope to avoid further overheating on the return climb. This extracted a second round of "oh golly gosh" comments (which apparently caused a noise complaint from a woman in northern Sweden). So I then had to climb back UP the slope to retrieve my keys, before going down and up AGAIN to retrieve the wing joiners. I climbed up and down that damned hill three times (taking over an hour in total, and coming very close to a heart-attack) for the sake of 90 minutes of Salto flying.

It wasn't at all funny at the time, but still, when I look back on it now...

...nope - still can't laugh about it

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

when I look back on it now...

...nope - still can't laugh about it

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

Dave_S

Damn, I knew there was something I forgot to mention yesterday!