December 02, 2020, 02:34:39 am

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 02, 2020, 02:34:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Balsa Wood

Started by PDR, September 27, 2020, 15:04:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PDR

I think we are starting to see the start of the predicted shortage in balsa as wind-turbine production soaks up the available supplies - balsa is used in end-grain sheets as a core shear layer in wind turbine blades, and they don't have many alternatives.

So guard your balsa stocks - the chinese will be sending out ninja balsa-napping squads!!

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

paulinfrance

Probably too heavy, klegecell, we used it in a fibreglass sandwich, great stuff to work with,, I only hope the Chinese are reading this post.
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

Dave_S

Back to the spruce, wire, and oiled silk, then.

Does this really mean no balsa, or just a hefty price increase? I reckon we can find ways around no balsa with smaller sections of spruce and ply/lite ply for most models.
Dave S in West Oxfordshire

SteveBB

Quote from: PDR on September 27, 2020, 15:04:27 pmI think we are starting to see the start of the predicted shortage in balsa as wind-turbine production soaks up the available supplies - balsa is used in end-grain sheets as a core shear layer in wind turbine blades, and they don't have many alternatives.

So guard your balsa stocks - the chinese will be sending out ninja balsa-napping squads!!

PDR

It doesn't affect you though. You grow your own and have your staff manage the plantation and fell it for you.
Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

ludwig

As long as Aircraft Grade foam supplies don't dry up, I'm not bothered.

The Saint. (Owen)

Why don't they just plant more trees?  ???
Electrickery is the work of the devil.
Proper aeroplanes are powered by engines.

PDR

That will provide a solution from 2027...

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

Dave_S

2027? I'll turn 70 that year!

ludwig

Quote from: The Saint. (Owen) on September 28, 2020, 14:52:22 pmWhy don't they just plant more trees?  ???

What about the displaced wildlife?

The Saint. (Owen)

Planting more trees will attract more wildlife.
Electrickery is the work of the devil.
Proper aeroplanes are powered by engines.

paulinfrance

Quote from: The Saint. (Owen) on September 29, 2020, 18:24:49 pmPlanting more trees will attract more wildlife.

You mean like old hairy legged bald rough modellers ?. :''

Dave_S

I'll admit to all of that except the bald part!

Tabsdad

Quote from: Dave_S on September 27, 2020, 18:38:51 pm......Does this really mean no balsa, or just a hefty price increase? I reckon we can find ways around no balsa with smaller sections of spruce and ply/lite ply for most models.
Both, a 150% increase is predicted on what will be made available to us (if anything) for the foreseeable future, blue foam is no longer cost effective, our balsa has now been taken from us, alternatives will need to be sought and shared by us and the industry if they wish to continue.

ludwig

It's a hobby lads, money will always be found for your pet fetish.

Tabsdad

Money's no use if the product isn't available, the plantations in Ecuador, (95% of the worlds' balsa production) are now in the hands of the Chinese government, they need the lot to build their turbine blades,we may get something from the Papua New Guinea producers but it will be expensive and lower quality.

paulinfrance

The 'industry' is continuing,, it's all RTF ply structures nowadays,,

Tabsdad

October 20, 2020, 09:33:35 am #16 Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 09:35:40 am by Tabsdad
Quote from: paulinfrance on October 20, 2020, 07:28:43 amThe 'industry' is continuing,, it's all RTF ply structures nowadays,,

Admittedly, at the moment that's the larger part of the industry, (although there has been a shift lately) just as electric is over IC but if the existing kit manufacturers, parts producers, engine makers and plan designers decide to throw their hands in then the future is far more unstable. People are posting about the lack of LiPO availability, that's probably down to the disruption in supply chains due to Covid but we just don't know for sure, I haven't checked but I'm guessing that China has a major holding in Lithium mining and refining, allowing them to dictate the availability route of the element. All this begs the uncomfortable question of are we happy being reliant on a single source of anything being ultimately monopolised by a single nation?

e-flite_rules

IIRC our supply of balsa wood was previously threatened because of its use in LNG transport ships.

A bit ironic to hear that a green technology is now posing a similar threat.

ludwig

I've got lots of Balsa wood in my spare bedroom and I haven't built a model for many years. I will keep an eye on the price of balsa and if it goes up much more I may come to market. lol