December 04, 2020, 20:55:31 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 04, 2020, 20:55:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Today's post

Started by Dave_S, October 24, 2020, 13:07:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_S

The postman delivered today's post a short while ago. Various magazines and catalogues for my wife, and a few things for me - and here they are.

Firstly, here are 4 servos which will be going into my Acrowot in the next week or so.
IMG_2282.jpeg

Secondly, here is a little project I couldn't resist - always wanted one as a kid, but they were too expensive. A return to stick and tissue modelling! The box included a couple of tiny servos I bought at the same time as I don't fancy lighting the DT fuse and running after it any more!
IMG_2283.jpeg

The third item was a surprise - first time I've had to pay a charge on anything from HobbyKing. Only £4.69, so not too bad - until the post office adds their £8.00 handling charge! I think I'll stick to UK shops in future.
IMG_2284.jpeg

Dave S in West Oxfordshire

Tabsdad

That's the sting with Hobbyking Dave, the handling charge, especially if there are import taxes too.
I don't use them anymore, I've made the decision to buy from UK traders.

Dave_S

I know the charges are legitimate, but I've had quite a few things from HK in HK over the last 18 months, and this is the first to be caught. I did notice that the tracking gave a different carrier name, so might be the reason. I won't buy from them outside of Europe again.

Gaspin

I had a Caprice about 1960, I think it was one of my sister's boyfriends peace offerings. At the time I considered the wingspan as huge, especially as it was transported in a haversack as I rode my bike. It flew great I used to chuck it around Chobham Clump when it was still a "clump". Had to chase it a couple of times on the bike as it caught a thermal, in those days they were every where. I think its demise was a wing break as it was being transported. Great days ! 

Dave_S

I'm looking forward to building my Caprice, got a couple of things to do to my Wot 4 and 4 Star, then put an Acrowot together, then it will get a turn on the building board. It should be a good model for those mythical calm summer evening.

itsme

Quote from: Dave_S on October 28, 2020, 06:43:20 amI'm looking forward to building my Caprice, got a couple of things to do to my Wot 4 and 4 Star, then put an Acrowot together, then it will get a turn on the building board. It should be a good model for those mythical calm summer evening.
I built a Caprice as a boy, loved it, spent hours trimming it.

Dave_S

I'm beginning to think I had a deprived childhood - after my first kit (KK Skyjet 50) I could only afford to build from plans (mainly free plans from the Aeromodeller or ones one of my school teachers drew up - he was a noted free flight modeller. I vaguely remember building a Mercury rubber powered model with a diagonal fuselage - that flew well, and somewhere about the house I still have the single bladed balsa prop I made for it.

All good stuff, but I wanted some of the more glamorous models from the Keil Kraft handbook - like the Caprice!

PDR

Quote from: Dave_S on October 28, 2020, 09:35:52 amI vaguely remember building a Mercury rubber powered model with a diagonal fuselage - that flew well, and somewhere about the house I still have the single bladed balsa prop I made for it.

That was probably a Mercury Mentor:

You can find the plan here, although VMC will sell you both the plan and the kit if you're interested. It was the reduced-scale version of Henry J's "Marauder" A2 glider design (also available as plan or kit from VMC). I built both as a kid and they flew very well. I really liked those Mercury kits (far better than the archaic KK stuff and the grossly over-weight Veron rubbish).

My first decent CL stunter was a Mercury Monarch (PAW-19) which taught me how to fly smoothly in wind and to be comfortable flying inverted.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

Dave_S

That's the one - I was fairly sure, and I think your picture confirms it, that there were no spars in the wing, the leading and trailing edges took what little flight loads there were - but it was an open invitation to warps, which they accepted with pleasure.

I can't believe it was only 32" span - it seemed huge back then!

I'll take a look at the plan, purely out of interest, but I don't think I could fly free flight any more - even though I am a member of a club which has the perfect field for it. One member travels from the north of Scotland to Oxford to fly!

My days of chasing models (or anything else, sadly) are well and truly over - even walking the 3/4 mile from car park to the RC patch isn't always easy. Bloody blind drivers and roundabouts!

RobC

October 28, 2020, 19:12:37 pm #9 Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 19:14:05 pm by RobC
I had the smaller Conquest glider, at least I did right up until I had the bright idea of bolting a Cox PeeWee .020 glow motor on the front.  I was actually quite surprised when it disappeared in a vertical climb.  I really should have checked how much fuel was in that tiny tank before letting it go.
flying's easy - it's getting it back down in one piece that's the hard part