December 04, 2020, 19:40:14 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 04, 2020, 19:40:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Weather

Started by British Victory, October 25, 2020, 11:16:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

British Victory

Got up and looked out of the window, lovely day. Got all my "pit" stuff and packed it in the car, checked out my wot4 and came in to boil the kettle and the heavens opened.
As the old crappy joke goes raining datsun cogs.
Put off the freshly built wot4 for another day(it's a mk3 kit built one that's been sitting round in my shop for nearly 10 years).
Never mind, on the plus side I have two models virtually ready to fly, a Dragon Lady and a yamamoto that I was given last week, complete with a solidly seized up mfa 40 size two stroke which is now in a tub of antifreeze hopefully freeing up.
I've changed the engine in the yamamoto to a freshly fettled asp 52 2 stroke but I'm starting to think that'll be OTT for it so I've ratched through my stuff and have re-discovered a TT 42 GP that will probably pull the stunt.
The Dragon Lady represented my first successful venture into petrol engines this century but it was an NGH 25 and, tbh, I sold that on due to the amount of black gunge emitted through the exhaust.
I have several engines that could fit including an OS 91 Fx, TT 91 4 stroke, a laser 100 and, interestingly, a laser 80 and I'm just wondering if that will pull it around, as the other engines are possibly earmarked for some basket cases that I hope to resurrect over the winter.
I really enjoyed flying the dragon lady, so much so that I bought a second which flew on the OS 91 Fx but it succumbed to over oiling of the woodwork which resulted in the front end becoming dysfunctional so I scrapped the fuselage but kept the wing.
The plane was designed around a 61 2 stroke which is why I'm mithering over the laser 80 as, with 20% nitro, it really pulled a slightly smaller plane (2" less wing span) around with great authority.
I have to be careful as the firewall has more 8mm plugs in it than I usually care to admit to.
I've no doubt I'll eventually decide.
there's only one f in RCMF,
               John

RobC

I had an ASP120FS in my Dragon Lady though it came fitted with a 91FS.  I'd plump for the Laser 100 if it was my choice, the thick wing section really soaks up power so it's hard to overdo things. That is a model I deeply regret selling, not least because the mate I sold it to tentpegged it within weeks!
flying's easy - it's getting it back down in one piece that's the hard part

Dave_S

Don't know where you are, but the sun's been shining all morning in this corner of Oxfordshire. I hope it continues to do so as I am supposed to playing music in a field near the Thames this afternoon.

Mind you, with the amount of rain we had yesterday, I might have trouble getting out of our road - it's below the level of the Windrush when the river's running high, and the storm drains work in reverse. I can usually get through with my Mitsubishi SUV, but my wife won't take her Suzuki Swift through it - it could float away!
Dave S in West Oxfordshire

British Victory

Bloody sun's come out here now, but the wife is sorting me out with brunch so that's another flying day lost.
Dave, do you play water music? ^-^
               John

British Victory

Rob, the wing isn't as thick as the model that the laser 100 is intended for. I may install the 91 Fx in it as that's been proven in my other DL but for some reason it isn't such a neat fit as it was in the other model.
               John

Dave_S

Quote from: British Victory on October 25, 2020, 11:53:20 amDave, do you play water music? ^-^

We try not to! I've just had an email, the field is too wet to use, so just three of us will be meeting at the guitarist's house instead. We've managed to keep rehearsing (and even playing a series of outdoor gigs) since the 'hard' lockdown ended, but I've heard that Oxford is teetering on the brink of going into level three, which will put a stop to that for a while. We are supposed to be recording a live set (without an audience) for the Oxford City Festival, which this year will be all pre-recorded. We have been offered the dining hall of an Oxford College for the recording - should be interesting!
Dave S in West Oxfordshire

Brian Cooper

The weather forecast for the next few days isn't looking too good. . Wind and rain.  :'(

As part of the Achievement Scheme Review Committee  (ASRC) we have just cancelled a two-day event scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday at Buckminster.

It was going to be (yet another) two days of demo  flights and mentoring of people to get through the "A" and "B" Tests, but the weather has defeated us this time.  :'(