RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 04, 2020, 21:01:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

how did you start messing about with model planes ?

Started by pooh, October 28, 2020, 15:29:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tabsdad

November 01, 2020, 19:08:11 pm #40 Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 19:55:56 pm by Tabsdad

[/quote]
Quote from: PDR on November 01, 2020, 18:26:11 pmRET isn't an OTx-specific TLA AFAIK.

HTH, GTBoS, HAND,

PDR
Nope, but if you use it, you'll recognise it.

PDR

Quote from: Brian Cooper on November 01, 2020, 18:34:48 pmNope.
My Tx might get opened one day ..... to change its battery. ;)

Yes, I heard those specky Txs eat batteries...:ev

Joking aside, I use (and love) OpenTx but I like complex transmitters but I'd be the first to suggest it's not the ideal choice for everyone because the majority of model flyers probably don't need the extra functionality/flexibility/capability that it offers, so it's not worth their while to climb the steep learning curve. The things you can do with OTx are mind-blowing, but if you don't need it your mind can remain un-blown!

Having said that I have already found something it *couldn't* do, and had to use the "extreme end of OTx" option of Lua scripting to do what I wanted...

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

rbp28668

Like quite a few here,  North Pacific Sleek-Streak etc and then some control-line (KK Champ with a DC Wasp glow motor).  Dad ran the Wasp in the dining room once and once only!  Quite a haze from the castor component of Nitex 15. First radio model was a Galaxy Models Simple Simon 2 ch glider with tissue covered wings.  Taught myself to fly with that. Radio was a RCM&E digital FM system on 27MHz.  Then a Ripmax trainer where I discovered the art of building 2 fuselage sides the same. That flew with an Irvine 20, later converted to taildragger with an Irvine 30.   That had MacGregor 3ch 27AM radio - eventually Wee MacGregor decided not to be in control and the model flew away from RAF Hullavington. Never did find it.  After that various O/D slope soarers and power models.
Bruce Porteous

ATSA2

I have always been interested in Aeroplanes..since I saw "Those Magnificent Men" at the cinema, aged 5!
My local sweetshop/toyshop near my Uncles house,(long gone!) sold a small balsa/plastic chuck glider called a Super Midge...I went through about a gross of those in the late 60s!  Then i discovered North Pacific's range of aircraft, starting with the Stunt glider with the reversible tail, and of course the Sleek Streek, i must have had a few dozen of those too...made a twin from 2 of them, and once flew a Star Flyer (next one up from a Sleek Streek) with 2 sleek streeks on the wing tips to make a 3 engine rubber model...yes it did fly!
My first engine was a DC Super Merlin, and I flew it in a KK champ..boy, did I get dizzy!

Mty first radio was a 2nd hand Macgregor 6, with 7 servos..cost me £85 back in 1979... Flew it in a glider for a while, then put it in a Tamiya Porsche 935..3 years later, it went in a Mick Reeves Snipe glider, that flew really well...

As for modes, I started on a sort of reverse Mode 1, with rudder on left stick and elevator on right...No, i dont know why either!I soon went to "proper Mode 2", and learned to fly like that...But I did buy a Futabe 3 channel gear later, and learned to fly Mode 1....I still use 2 channel radios on Mode 1 for cars...but I fly Mode 2 for anything that flies..including my drone...

...So i am a Gliderist and a Drone flyer...does that mean eternal damnation for me?
"There's nothing cushy about the Women's Volunteer Balloon Corps!"

PDR

There is always the hope for redemption should you confess your sins and return to the One True Path. There is more joy in Buckminster if but one sinner repents than there are curling tongs on an F3a flightline.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

e-flite_rules

November 21, 2020, 13:32:22 pm #45 Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 14:57:59 pm by e-flite_rules
Well my father was the clever one of the family.  A medical doctor (and politician!) for the money and model engineer for the fun.  He was an annual entry into Class N (machine tool) at the Model Engineer Exhibition and a contributor to that magazine.

Both my brother and I followed into engineering.  Full scale engineering as a career and model as a hobby.

If only today's inexpensive electric RC planes had been available when we were teenagers....

meharibear

Well my father was the clever one of the family.  A medical doctor (and politician!) for the money and model engineer for the fun.  He was an annual entry into Class N (machine tool) at the Model Engineering Exhibition and a contributor to that magazine.

[/quote]
That reminds me of my outstanding GP when I lived in Portsmouth.  He had been a surgeon before changing to General Practice and always told me that hew learned more useful stuff from his model engineering than he ever did at school or University!
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.  (Terry Pratchett)

paulinfrance

Quote from: e-flite_rules on November 21, 2020, 13:32:22 pmWell my father was the clever one of the family.  A medical doctor (and politician ).

Oh dear, I was looking how you put your Father onto a pedestal and knock him back off all in one sentence,, :''
Mode 2 THE only way to fly