RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 04, 2020, 19:56:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Receiver for new Hobby King Durafly Micro Tundra

Started by e-flite_rules, October 31, 2020, 10:29:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

e-flite_rules

Hobby King have just released a park flyer sized (2S 300-500 mAh) of their Tundra.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/durafly-micro-tundra-graffiti-pnf-sports-model-w-flaps-epo-635mm-25.html

It's wired to accept a micro RX with 1.25mm Molex connectors (though convertors for a "standard" setup are provided).

I'd like to go the lightest route possible with a micro RX with Molex.

Only problem is that I can't find one anywhere!

Any ideas?

dickw

Since Hobbyking thrmselves only offer a standard Rx as an option it is possible that there are no 1.5mm Molex Rx available.
I would get in touch with Micron RC http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/conn_picoblade.html
and see what they can do for you. They do a fair range of small Rx and Molex connectors, and are always helpful.

Dick
Grow old disgracefully

PDR

What Tx?

If it's a DSM2/x you could use a Deltang Rx (there's a picoblade variant)

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

e-flite_rules

Whoops!  Forget to mention.

Yes I have a DSM2/X Tx.

e-flite_rules

Quote from: PDR on October 31, 2020, 13:05:09 pmWhat Tx?

If it's a DSM2/x you could use a Deltang Rx (there's a picoblade variant)

PDR

Unfortunately the range of the Molex equipped version is described as "indoors".  I'm also not sure if it can be configured as 5 or 6 channels.  It seems to be 4 ch plus 2 internal ESCs.

I just can't understand why HK released a product where compatible mating equipment isn't available.

If I can't find a suitable receiver I'll probably change over the connectors in the plane and use a Spektrum micro Rx - AR6335 or similar.

PDR

Dave described them as "indoor" for safety, but we tested many of the early ones in DLGs which were flown to "spec" range in thermals. But I hadn't appreciated that he no longer makes the basic 7 channel one with no FET on the back (as an ESC) - that's rather a shame because they are excellent receivers.He used to do specials if you asked him, but I'm not sure he still does.

It looks like your only option would be to make some adaptor leads - you can get Picoblade pigtails from places like Banggood, but HK sell a suitable one here.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

e-flite_rules

Thanks PDR.

The plane comes with 5 of those adaptor leads - in five bags sellotaped to the OUTSIDE of the box!  Clearly a last minute addition.

So yes I could use them.  However it's a most inelegant solution.  I will enquire of David about a 7 channel RX.  After all I probably won't be the only person wanting one.....

e-flite_rules

Unfortunately Dave at Deltang was unable to help.

So re-wiring for a 7 channel normal connector system is the why I'm going.

Should give considerable performance improvement over the supplied 5 channel system.

FrankS

The other thing to watch with the servo micro Molex connectors is the wiring configuration, it's a couple of years since I bought some to go with the old Multiplex Rx6 micro, but there doesn't seem to be a standard pin order.

e-flite_rules

Quote from: FrankS on November 12, 2020, 09:13:08 amThe other thing to watch with the servo micro Molex connectors is the wiring configuration, it's a couple of years since I bought some to go with the old Multiplex Rx6 micro, but there doesn't seem to be a standard pin order.

Hi,  Thanks for the reminder!

I think that Molex are the same as "standard".  However the connections on Spektrum 63xx receivers most definitely AREN'T.

I've no idea why Spektrum chose to configure their micro RXs like that.  Haven't yet looked at their "nano" receivers; ie the 64xx range.  Maybe they're yet another configuration!

e-flite_rules

November 14, 2020, 18:06:59 pm #10 Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 13:39:47 pm by e-flite_rules
Decided to be lazy, or should that be efficient with my efforts?

First set up will use the supplied Molex to JR conversion leads into a 4g Spektrum Rx.  That'll mean that the ailerons and flaps will each be controlled by a single channel each.  So no  clever mixing like crow.

IF (and I do mean IF!) the plane flies beautifully I'll rewire it to allow the use of a 7 channel Lemon Rx with stability control.  That'll give will independent control for each of the 4 servos in the wing AND smoothing.