December 02, 2020, 03:37:31 am

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 02, 2020, 03:37:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Best standard servo?

Started by Dave_S, November 16, 2020, 10:24:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_S

I've had a few years away from the hobby, and things have changed in my absence. I have several models of traditional .40-.60 size (though now sporting the electric equivalents). All well and good, but I am unsure of the current recommendation is for standard servos - I have bought about a dozen HiTecs (311, 322, 425) which seem to work, but the 425s all chatter and twitch to an unacceptable degree. I am using FrSky Taranis radio, but have tried different receivers and the chattering remained.

So, the question is - what is your choice of standard servo these days? Just want some servos that are reliable, not too expensive, and easily available. I'm not bothered by the make, though Futaba are a pain as I'd have to modify the plugs (it doesn't take long, but I can think of better ways to spend my time!)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Dave S in West Oxfordshire

paulinfrance

Are your receiver's HV ( high speed ) ones for digital and not anagogic servos ?.
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

British Victory

I'm soldiering on with a mix of futaba s148, s3003, 3004 3001 3152 and hitec 322 and 422. When I bought new I got corona hv digital metal geared of 22 grm weight.
They all work ok with futaba 2.4 fasst rxs and 2 cell life batteries. This is one of the disadvantages of not having an open source tx, everything works out of the box so there's sod all to fiddle with.
AS hobbyking seems to be going tits up any new servos I'll buy will be from the servo shop which does good on a box of 10 hitecs.
Planes are all IC with up to 26cc gas and glo engines.
there's only one f in RCMF,
               John

paulinfrance

I install Futaba 3003 in my planes under 10cc, and maybe a 3001 on the elevator and rudder, Corona 939/929 for Ailerons, over that size ( 20cc + petrol )3001 and 3010's with 3003 for ailerons, I have lost teeth ( carbonite and metal geared )with Hitec servos with the vibrations from Rcgf 20cc petrol engines, so far the Futaba servos are still ok.

RobC

148s, 300ns, or Corona 329 minis all work ok for me.  The only Hitechs I use are 225 minis or 311 standards and they seem ok with FrSky.  You're not using the 425s on SBus by any chance?
flying's easy - it's getting it back down in one piece that's the hard part

Dave_S

Quote from: paulinfrance on November 16, 2020, 10:53:28 amAre your receiver's HV ( high speed ) ones for digital and not anagogic servos ?.

I don't think so - they work fine with some of my servos, but the 425s don't seem to like them.

Thanks for the suggestion, though, I wasn't aware that HV receivers existed!

Dave_S

November 16, 2020, 12:51:14 pm #6 Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 12:55:04 pm by Dave_S
Not using the S bus either - seems I just have a duff batch of 425s - I'll get in touch with Al's as I bought them there.
If the HiTec 322 & 422 are working for people, then I'll go for more of those.

Thanks for the suggestions

paulinfrance

Quote from: Dave_S on November 16, 2020, 12:49:53 pmI don't think so - they work fine with some of my servos, but the 425s don't seem to like them.

Thanks for the suggestion, though, I wasn't aware that HV receivers existed!

Yes and I have been flying my Beaufighter (  2 x Saito .45S ) for a few years and 3 weeks ago one of the aileron servos started jittering, I changed it ( 929mg ) and the same, only to find out that my receiver bought brand new 6008HS should have been programmed for anagogic servos it wasn't, re programmed all is well.

Erez

Based on my experience alone, spanning several decades, a standard analog servo that has never failed me is the Sanwa 102, and I fly frequently, with every new model getting its own new servos.