RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 05, 2020, 08:27:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Duxford drops Flying Legends

Started by JimG, November 18, 2020, 11:11:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JimG

Just found out recently that the management at IWM Duxford have decided to stop hosting Flying Legends dues to "cost considerations". If it goes ahead the 2021 show will take place at Sywell. Looking at Google maps it appears that the surrounding roads are just narrow country roads so can they cope with the sort of traffic involved with Legends? I was at the 2019 show and even arriving early the traffic was backed up for near 5 miles on the A505 and looked like a long queue on the M11. Only the fact that I was on 2 wheels allowed me to get there without a long wait as the traffic was moving very slowly.This was with the need for buying tickets before attending allowing them to restrict the numbers.
Jim Gill
Dundee Model Aircraft Club

paulinfrance

Quote from: JimG on November 18, 2020, 11:11:15 amJust found out recently that the management at IWM Duxford have decided to stop hosting Flying Legends dues to "cost considerations". If it goes ahead the 2021 show will take place at Sywell. Looking at Google maps it appears that the surrounding roads are just narrow country roads so can they cope with the sort of traffic involved with Legends? I was at the 2019 show and even arriving early the traffic was backed up for near 5 miles on the A505 and looked like a long queue on the M11. Only the fact that I was on 2 wheels allowed me to get there without a long wait as the traffic was moving very slowly.This was with the need for buying tickets before attending allowing them to restrict the numbers.

Oh dear, so that's me out for 2021, it was bad enough at Duxford with the traffic jams, any chance of a lift Jim, I have my own helmet ,.
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

Brian Cooper

Sywell is my local (full-size) airfield, and yes, the surrounding  roads are basically country lanes.   This is all very quaint and adds to the charm of the place but it isn't exactly conducive to handling a heavy traffic.   ::)

There have been airshows at Sywell in recent years and the roads have been a nightmare. 
If you're planning on attending the event, allow plenty of time to do the last few miles.

JimG

Quote from: paulinfrance on November 18, 2020, 11:32:00 amOh dear, so that's me out for 2021, it was bad enough at Duxford with the traffic jams, any chance of a lift Jim, I have my own helmet ,.

Not much chance for filtering through traffic now as I am riding a Can-Am Spyder trike, somewhat wider than my bike. (Couldn't offer a lift anyway as my insurance doesn't cover passengers)
Jim Gill

paulinfrance

Quote from: JimG on November 18, 2020, 17:04:21 pmNot much chance for filtering through traffic now as I am riding a Can-Am Spyder trike, somewhat wider than my bike. (Couldn't offer a lift anyway as my insurance doesn't cover passengers)

Is that some sort of motorised mobility scooter ?. :D  :D  :D

PDR

November 18, 2020, 18:36:45 pm #5 Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 18:38:01 pm by PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

JimG

Definitely not a mobility scooter $%& , 1330cc engine.
20200806_155845.jpg
Jim Gill

mart49

That's what you call a mobility scooter! :D  :D  :D

paulinfrance

Of course I know what these 3 wheels thing are, I overtake them in the traffic jams on my motor bike,,  :nananana:

Tabsdad

Quote from: JimG on November 19, 2020, 10:36:16 amDefinitely not a mobility scooter $%& , 1330cc engine.
20200806_155845.jpg

Genuine question:
What's the attraction to trikes?

paulinfrance

November 19, 2020, 13:52:37 pm #10 Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 19:11:31 pm by paulinfrance Reason: Tail / tale
Quote from: Tabsdad on November 19, 2020, 13:15:09 pmGenuine question:

Try one, :co  and if you live to tell the tale, :'' you will understand, £200.000 supercar performance for a few quid,, ^-^ 

Darkstar56

Quote from: paulinfrance on November 19, 2020, 13:52:37 pmTry one, :co  and if you live to tell the tail, :'' you will understand, £200.000 supercar performance for a few quid,, ^-^ 

£200 supercar performance? Is that very good?

Maxg
"... acquisition of knowledge is never too dear."
Sir Francis Walsingham, Spymaster to Q Elizabeth 1.

JimG

Quote from: Tabsdad on November 19, 2020, 13:15:09 pmGenuine question:

I was finding my BMW K1600GT a bit heavy when stationary or at low speed so was looking for an alternative. Smaller lighter bikes tend to have a much less comfortable seating position for longer trips and tend to put a lot of weight on your wrists. When  I checked out the  Spyder it was really comfortable and had a lot of storage for trips. Very different in handling but becomes second nature with experience, not such as good acceleration as the BMW but made up for by the comfort on long journeys. (Longest so far  just over 300 miles with just a stop for petrol.)
Jim Gill

paulinfrance

Quote from: Darkstar56 on November 19, 2020, 14:17:07 pm£200 supercar performance? Is that very good?

Maxg

My old Yamaha R 6 ( 600cc ) 0/60 in 2.6 seconds
My Aprilia ( 1000cc ) 0/60 in 2.3 seconds and over 320 klm/h, 1/100th of the price of a supercar,,

Tabsdad

Quote from: paulinfrance on November 19, 2020, 13:52:37 pmTry one, :co  and if you live to tell the tail, :'' you will understand, £200.000 supercar performance for a few quid,, ^-^
I'd like to just for the experience but from a practical point of view 2 wheels is better for me, I've always looked at trikes as all the disadvantages of a bike and non of the advantages of a car (Clarkson would like that one 😁) so I've always been curious as to the attraction

paulinfrance

Quote from: Tabsdad on November 19, 2020, 16:54:45 pmI'd like to just for the experience but from a practical point of view 2 wheels is better for me, I've always looked at trikes as all the disadvantages of a bike and non of the advantages of a car (Clarkson would like that one 😁) so I've always been curious as to the attraction

The Trike has all the disadvantages of two and four wheels, :'' , " all in one" ^-^

RobC

I always thought the more usual trikes built from converted bikes were for those who want to look 'cool' but don't like the idea of leaning over in bends.  That Scorpion has a certain something about it but I'm not sure that what it has is 'cool' ;D
flying's easy - it's getting it back down in one piece that's the hard part

Tabsdad

Quote from: paulinfrance on November 19, 2020, 19:13:00 pmThe Trike has all the disadvantages of two and four wheels, :'' , " all in one" ^-^

That's what my summary says. " all the disadvantages of a bike and none of the advantages of a car"😁

Dave_S

The only people I know who ride trikes are bikers no longer able to cope with two wheels due to accidents. I knew one chap who was regularly pulled over on his trike because he was carrying a shotgun case - with his crutches inside!
Dave S in West Oxfordshire

Tabsdad

Quote from: Dave_S on November 19, 2020, 22:21:03 pmThe only people I know who ride trikes are bikers no longer able to cope with two wheels due to accidents.....

I never thought of that and completely get it.

cheddar-caveman

One has to realise the HUGE cost in keeping these legends of the air in the sky. Just about everything that happens at Duxford is done by volunteers. All the maintenance personnel are volunteers, all the pilots are volunteers, in fact they have bought a share in thew plane they fly.
My son is one of the couple of Catalina pilots and he has a £17,000 share and forks out more every year to keep her in the air.
She recently got stuck on Loch Ness with engine failure and if it wasn't for the generosity of Joe Public through a Fund Me page on Facebook that my son set up, she'd still be there!
If you're a true fan of these amazing birds, you'll find a way to beat the traffic 🤣