RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

January 19, 2021, 23:37:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Elevon mixing UMX Rx from Micro A10 Warthog

Started by meharibear, November 30, 2020, 11:50:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

meharibear

I need the assembled wisdom of Spectrum users here!  I have built a crude profile Depron delta model during the latest lockdown.  It's powered and controlled by the guts from a UMX A10.  I am using an original DX7 Tx. I want to use it with elevons to keep things simple.  However, with the "delta" wing selected, although I get the servos responding from elevator and aileron input in both cases they always move in the opposite sense to one another - just as ailerons should!  But not like elevators!  What am I doing wrong?  How should I set it up?  OR, is this a limitation of this particular Rx which means I MUST use separate control surfaces?
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.  (Terry Pratchett)

Rich Few

Reverse the aileron or rudder servo, whichever one is going in the wrong direction.

meharibear

I have repeatedly tried that with no luck so far  :-\
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.  (Terry Pratchett)

Brian Cooper

Try reversing the direction of one of servos in the elevator "sense".

paulinfrance

November 30, 2020, 15:45:00 pm #4 Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 15:48:45 pm by paulinfrance Reason: ps
With a lot of radios just inverse the aileron servos, Ie, on Futaba the 1 and 5,,

Ps, you also get this problem on flying wings,,
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

PDR

To other responders:
You are missing the point. If the unit is doing any mixing then you would expect it to move differentially for ailerons but in the same direction for elevator, or vice-versa. This is moving both surfaces in the same direction for both elevator AND aileron, which doesn't make sense.

To Meri:
These units are normally set for rudder and elevator control so the internal servos are on channels 3 and 4. Are you sure your transmitter is set to mix outputs 3 and 4 rather than 2 and 3? (I never know whether the mixing is at the control level or the output channel on these mickey-mouse radios - at least on an Mpx or OTx one you know what you're actually mixing!!)

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

meharibear

Quote from: PDR on November 30, 2020, 16:40:16 pmTo other responders:
You are missing the point. If the unit is doing any mixing then you would expect it to move differentially for ailerons but in the same direction for elevator, or vice-versa. This is moving both surfaces in the same direction for both elevator AND aileron, which doesn't make sense.

To Meri:
These units are normally set for rudder and elevator control so the internal servos are on channels 3 and 4. Are you sure your transmitter is set to mix outputs 3 and 4 rather than 2 and 3? (I never know whether the mixing is at the control level or the output channel on these mickey-mouse radios - at least on an Mpx or OTx one you know what you're actually mixing!!)

Thanks I will take a look tomorrow and see what happens with using other servo connections on the board (there are 5 in all) and rudder
PDR.  I started by selecting "Delta wing" assuming possibly wrongly that would give me elevons - I then tried reversing the servos to no effect!!

PDR

The best solution is to dump that speky shite and get yourself s decent Tx, my lad...

:EV

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

meharibear

Quote from: PDR on November 30, 2020, 17:55:15 pmThe best solution is to dump that speky shite and get yourself s decent Tx, my lad...

:EV

PDR
I normally fly Futaba Peter, but for these mico models there is very little choice but "the "S" word"!!

PDR

November 30, 2020, 22:36:34 pm #9 Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 22:37:40 pm by PDR
Quote from: meharibear on November 30, 2020, 19:01:39 pmI normally fly Futaba Peter, but for these mico models there is very little choice but "the "S" word"!

Well I've had several of those UM/UMX things (and smaller) without ever having th embarrassment of owning a specky Tx. I flew them using my old Multiplex Evo and now I fly them using my Horus X10sExpress. With a little effort you could fly them from most futaba Txs as well...

PDR

meharibear

Quote from: PDR on November 30, 2020, 22:36:34 pmWell I've had several of those UM/UMX things (and smaller) without ever having th embarrassment of owning a specky Tx. I flew them using my old Multiplex Evo and now I fly them using my Horus X10sExpress. With a little effort you could fly them from most futaba Txs as well...

PDR
Ok, as a radio ignoramus, I have always assume that I would need to use an appropriate plug in module to do that.  My normal Tx is an 8FG Super with as far as I know no such facility?  I presume therefore that this is not an option for me? 

PDR

Most of the plug-in modules are JR format, but you have the option of taking the PPM feed from the buddy-box port and feeding something like the Orange DIY module. Keep tabs on this item and when it comes back into stock you might buy one. You then have a set of choices on whether to fit it inside or outside the transmitter, and whether it's in "plug in" or "switched" form, but the actual wiring is very simple. This is how I did the switched version in my Evo:

The only difference for a futaba version would be the pins on the "DIN socket" would be the equivalent pins on the futaba buddybox port. If you'd like to do it then get the module, and when you have it get in touch and I'll talk/guide you through it (it really is very simple).

In principle yopu could do something similar with one of the MultiProtocol Modules - it would be a little more involved, but would have the advantage that you'd have more than just DSM2/DSMx available. Again, if you want to do it give me a shout and I'll happily help you through the project.

PDR

meharibear

Thanks for the advice and offer of help.  In the meantime this is the set up I have which so far refuses to allow elevons to function correctly!

meharibear

PDR

What happens if you delete the transmitter mix and just drive the channels directly from aileron and elevator? Do they respond correctly (ie one to the elevator and the other to the aileron)?

PDR

meharibear

Well I tried that and kept fiddling about with no success.  SO now I have taken the mechanical solution and butchered it to add elevators and a third servo!  Now my concern is that the orientation of the board in case I has mis-orientated it and will now have auto destabalisation!  Anyone know if you can turn off the stabalisation feature in these (and if so, how?) as I'm sure the model shouldn't need it.  I had the UMX S Bach and I'm fairly sure you could with that.